Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At the Front - Officers Field OverCoat

Whithead

Familiar Face
I am looking for a trench/overcoat like the one wore by Gregory Peck in "12 O'clock High."

Does anyone have any experience with the OFFICERS FIELD COAT from AT THE FRONT?

Thanks!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Here's what the original looks like.

IMG_4498.jpg

IMG_4500.jpg

IMG_4501.jpg

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ Thanks for posting those photos of an original coat. I was looking at the company's site today and wondering how accurate they got the details and they seem to have got them right, even including buttons for the liner (which they didn't reproduce). They don't mention the rear vent, or show a rear photo, so hopefully they reproduced the bellows vent and didn't go with just a slash vent. It would be nice to have one of these, but the OD green is really not useable in the real world.

Peacoat

Bartender
Dinerman, you have a great collection of those old coats. I love the way you are able to answer a question by posting a photograph.

Andy, that link isn't working for me. I will do a copy and paste to see if it will work that way.

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks Mr. Fixer, it worked.

I just noticed your signature line. I always said (when the bullets started flying), "I wish I were down there wishing I were up here." So, we are saying the same thing, but from a different perspective.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I have been eyeing one of those coats from At The Front and contacted them about sizing for sleeve length and they sent me the measurements below. Based on past experience I am always reluctant to order things without trying on first for fit and quality, and these guys are a little irritable by reputation so I'm reluctant to badger them with too many questions about details! (such as throat flap, rear vent, etc.) Anyway, perhaps the measurements below will be of use to someone around here.

At The Front officer's field overcoat
size 40R: sleeve 26.25" across shoulder 20"
size 44R: sleeve 27" across shoulder 20.5"

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Based on past experience I am always reluctant to order things without trying on first for fit and quality, and these guys are a little irritable by reputation so I'm reluctant to badger them with too many questions about details!
Just remember that "irritable" in civilian language merely means "to the point" in (ex-) military language. Assume their time is more valuable than your money.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
Just remember that "irritable" in civilian language merely means "to the point" in (ex-) military language. Assume their time is more valuable than your money.
I know what you mean, and I understand they get some dingbats calling them up, but I suspect they're half-dingbats themselves! They should have picked a different line of work. Anyway, for me this would be nothing more than a novelty purchase so I honestly can't be bothered to go any further.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Anyone seem one of these being worn? Look like they could pass for a civilian trenchcoat, probably just about knee length (like Bogart wore his Burberry in Casablanca)?

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I finally got around to ordering one of these coats, but discovered they're out of stock in size 40/medium. I sent a message asking if they will be re-stocking and received the following good news:
Not for several months. But they are not discontinued.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I ordered one of these coats and it arrived yesterday. I have several trenchcoats - Aquascutum, Sedgewick (a high end Canadian brand), Stafford (vintage), London Fog (vintage) - and by comparison the ATF coat ranks with them. Overall quality is outstanding, the cloth is thick and good quality (two layers throughout), stitching is perfect, details seem 100% authentic, includes throat flap and foot tab, and even has buttons for a wool liner which ATF doesn't make due to cost. Strongly recommended for someone who wants to add a high quality trenchcoat to their collection, or who wants a go-the-distance coat with a great ratio of quality to price (a bargain at only USD$150). The only tricky part is the fit: I am a 42L and ordered a 44R and this thing fits BIG; I think I should have gone with a 40R instead, but even so it has large armholes and plenty of extra cloth pretty much everwhere. If you are a 44R or even 46R, and beefy, this coat would be perfect.

I won't be keeping it since it's just too big for me, but I took measurements which I can post if anyone is interested.

For reference the colour is a true "olive" colour, not a light or dark green or brown.

Edward

Bartender
Good to hear, DD. I've been lucky enough to fall in with great eBay deals on a couple of Burberrys and a Grenfell over the last few years. While wonderful quality, the new price ofr these has gotten silly, so it's good to know there is a viable alternative out there which represents a more reasonable price.

archbury918

One of the Regulars
Just came across this thread.
I bought one of these coats in the fall of 2011. It's one of the best purchases I've ever made! Was extremely happy with it.

I have 2 originals and this easily falls in line w/ accuracy and authenticity. It is a bit more of a "light tan/olive" in color. My originals have two distinct shades. One, near identical to the one modeled by Diner above (1942 mfg), the other is a greener shade ('45 mfg).
The ATF also can take an original winter liner. Yes, it's slightly oversized as it was intended. I wear a 42 in London Fog/Burberry and I got the size 40 and it works perfectly for me.

I can, and have worn it out for social events. The only give away to it not being a new "civy" trench are the heavy 40's style buttons. It doesn't have the "cape" material over the back shoulder ala' a Bogart trench. The one worn by Peck in the movie is a Burberry.
The U.S. Army intended all personnel to be issued that style. They just didn't have enough to go around thats why it became known as an "officer's issue". The English had a long tradition for this coat and many officer's purchased them directly upon arriving in the UK. Thats why you can see many variances in period photos.

My only complaint and I called to tell Gina, is that the sewn on belt is on backwards! It wasn't a big deal. In fact I improved on the design by sewing on a button to make the belt removable should it need to be dry cleaned.
If its still available in your size.....GRAB IT!!!

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
archbury918 said:
My only complaint and I called to tell Gina, is that the sewn on belt is on backwards! It wasn't a big deal.
I had the same prob with the belt and had assumed it was just my coat! It's an easy fix, like you said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats