Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attention New Hat Buyers and Wearers!!!

D

dzacca

Vermifuge said:
I have to agree. I know a few up and coming 20 and 30 something that are just beginning to get into hats. Granted most of them are in the high-tech industry. We are going from working in the garage to working in the office. Most have us have been upgrading our appearance during this transition
My friends wouldn’t mind dropping a few bills on a nice hat, however, none of them will turn down a good deal either. So they are hitting eBay first. You can expect some more competition over the next year or two as the hats popularly surges in the tech community.

I agree with you Vermifuge. I'm working in the IT industry and just turning 30 :)
I also have a few colleagues starting wearing hats, and they are just 30-35

astaire

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
If I had the money I blew on bad auction hats I would have at least 3 custom jobs from Art!! QUOTE]

Make that 3.5 for me. almost half of my ebay purchases did not turn out very well. Most of us got lucky on our first purchases. This beginner's luck leads most of us to think that more good stuff is coming.

I feel awful now:(

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
The threads I find most interesting in the Lounge are the reviews of new factory hats and custom made hats. This is the state of the art.

Joel

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Joel Tunnah said:
The threads I find most interesting in the Lounge are the reviews of new factory hats and custom made hats. This is the state of the art.

Joel

Good point, Joel. Art comes to mind as an example of someone who keeps "classic" alive by creating it in the present. I have this fantasy where I send him some of those BCF hats for sweatbands, bound edges, ribbon and bow treatments, if I really though it would be worth it. ( Do you still like your campaign hat? )

dean

Feraud

Bartender
deanglen said:
Good point, Joel. Art comes to mind as an example of someone who keeps "classic" alive by creating it in the present. I have this fantasy where I send him some of those BCF hats for sweatbands, bound edges, ribbon and bow treatments, if I really though it would be worth it. ( Do you still like your campaign hat? )

dean
Art is no longer taking outside repair jobs. deanglen, I have to say I admire your ingenuity when it comes to acquiring and modifiying your hats!

It appears jake_finks comments are not taken at face value by a few. I do not think he meant anything other than providing options and generating interest in those hatters who are continuing the tradition we all admire.

epic610

One of the Regulars
i very much agree with this thread...

we have some truly excellent vendors on Fedora Lounge.

to buy successfully on ebay, you have to be extremely patient, knowledgeable and yes, lucky.

the beginner ought to think about buying new until his taste and judgement are developed. besides, by buying from one of our retail vendors you can select the hat you want and have it in your hands within 48 yours . . . and be assured that it doesn't have a lot of the defects of vintage hats ...discoloration, moth holes, stains, smells. and if sizing is a problem, all of our vendors will gladly offer an exchange.

deanglen

Feraud said:
Art is no longer taking outside repair jobs. deanglen, I have to say I admire your ingenuity when it comes to acquiring and modifiying your hats!

It appears jake_finks comments are not taken at face value by a few. I do not think he meant anything other than providing options and generating interest in those hatters who are continuing the tradition we all admire.

Exactly!

dean

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
dzacca said:
I agree with you Vermifuge. I'm working in the IT industry and just turning 30 :)
I also have a few colleagues starting wearing hats, and they are just 30-35

I think what a lot of people don’t understand is Myself and others use eBay for “retail” shopping. I price many things and always check eBay for the item. I often find the same item new for at least %10 less including tax and shipping on eBay. When I research and find a place like the lounge I read up about the trade, the products and the make my move.

I was born into an on demand society. When I want something I tend to want it now! Some people find me pompous but I would rather spend the money then inconvenience myself. But I think this is kind of typical of my generation.

When i found there were NO vintage hats in my area i hit eBay bookmaked the hats i wanted and set how much i wanted to spend for each one.

D

dzacca

Vermifuge said:
I think what a lot of people don’t understand is Myself and others use eBay for “retail” shopping. I price many things and always check eBay for the item. I often find the same item new for at least %10 less including tax and shipping on eBay. When I research and find a place like the lounge I read up about the trade, the products and the make my move.

I was born into an on demand society. When I want something I tend to want it now! Some people find me pompous but I would rather spend the money then inconvenience myself. But I think this is kind of typical of my generation.

When i found there were NO vintage hats in my area i hit eBay bookmaked the hats i wanted and set how much i wanted to spend for each one.

Again, I agree with you. :)
I use eBay in the same manner. If I can't find what I'm looking for in a nearby shop I use eBay or any internet shop that could help. I think it's something related with our generation, as you said. Expecially in the high tech field. I'm in the telecomunications field and everything has to be real time, no delay, no stop. This tends to alter also the way we buy. If I want something I want it right now...

Twitch

Moustache- my sentiments as well. I won't spend $200 on an article of clothing that is a very occassional use piece for me. But I wouldn't buy $200 shoes either. It's like all "things" though. People buy things and pay whatever the price simply because they really want it. Ebay is a good example irregardless of the item. People will overpay simply to fulfill a whim, desire, nostalgic sentiment or just for the hell of it. Decent vintage hats are going everyday for lots less than 200 bucks. Think the highest I ever saw was $180. Most go for well under $50.

I don't go anywhere that requires a spiffy new hat IF I had decided to wear a hat at all. Since fedoras are not on any unwritten list of things to wear in the gentleman's mainstream- like a pure silk tie- we can bloody well wear them how we want.

I have also proven to myself that on any item Ebay has ebbs and flows. An item gets lots of bids and goes for way past its value. Next week an identical item gets absolutely no attention and you get it for the opening bid. Go figure[huh]

feltfan

dzacca said:
Again, I agree with you. :)
I use eBay in the same manner. If I can't find what I'm looking for in a nearby shop I use eBay or any internet shop that could help. I think it's something related with our generation, as you said.
Vermifuge said:
I think what a lot of people don’t understand is Myself and others use eBay for “retail” shopping.

If it please you. My 60something stepmother uses eBay and
the internet the same way. Obviously a lot of middle aged or
older people do, as they no doubt constitute the majority of
internet and eBay sales.

BTW, it's not correct to capitalize "Myself" unless you are
God or his royal highness.

dzacca said:
Expecially in the high tech field. I'm in the telecomunications field and everything has to be real time, no delay, no stop. This tends to alter also the way we buy. If I want something I want it right now...
Vermifuge said:
I was born into an on demand society. When I want something I tend to want it now!

The ability to delay gratification is often associated
with maturity. In any event, it's hardly a philosophy to
be proud of. The real point here is, how does any of
this self-aggrandizing address Jake's point? You can order
from Art online. You can order from Fedora or Gladhatter on
eBay if I recall correctly.

As someone who has been wearing vintage fedoras in a great
many high tech companies, including telecommunications, graphics,
and gaming, for over a decade and a half, I can
assure most readers here that there is no general trend in those
circles for vintage hats. In fact, there is little or no interest of
any kind.

Getting back to Jake's original point, I wonder if Optimo, Art,
Adventurebilt, etc are hurting for business? If so, his point is
pressing. However it appears to me that there is room in the
market for both vintage and new hats. Love to hear from hat
makers on this, though I admit it's awkward.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Felt Fan

Boomers make up about 1/3 of the ~200 million internets users. Though I wonder how many of them only do so because it is provided by work? Statistics can always be skewed.

“Lies, damn lies and statistics”. - Mark Twain

However I don’t believe eBay has published any statistics about it’s users. I would love to examine them if you have any links to current reports.

They have some good points but I wanted to chime in the discussion about why things are the way they area. Those “great deals” are going away because of an increased demand form users like myself. Obviously I’m not the only one who sees this among my peers.

We can argue maturity and arrogance but that would be off topic. The proper thing to do is reserve those comments for privet messages.

Art and others do make great hats but I think like others were seeking recognizable status. To say one has a Stetson will raise e more eyebrows then to say it was made buy a guy named Art, custom or not. I guess what I mean is if I gather 20 people at random most of them will recognize the same Stetson or Dobbs.

Off topic

About grammar, spelling etc: I am VERY dyslexic and I make my share of mistakes. Any errant spelling capitalization or grammar is a result of proofing my posts in word. It’s the best I can do with the tools I have available to me. I appreciate your efforts in instructing. That said, don’t expect any miracles, I am at a disadvantage but I do my best. If that’s not enough for you, I suggests ignoring my posts.

Also it's nice to see another local.

BigSho

Vendor
I think that there is a big difference between a hat retailer and a hat maker. My buisness is not the same buisness as Art or Optimo. It is like going to a tailor or buying a suit off the rack there is a place for both in the world. Seeing as I don't make hats (yet :D ) I don't know much about that aspect of the buisness. But what I do know is that being a hat retailer is not an easy buisness to have and to keep up. We have been in Chicago for 20 years now, and have seen at least 10 hats stores come and go in that time. I think I put the hat buisness best when I was talking to Zemke Fan a while ago: "You can equate the hat buisness to the shoe buisness, but the only difference is that everyone needs shoes." If vintage is your thing that is cool and I definetly respect that but I doubt it hurts the buisness in anyway. There is a place for new and old, but if there isn't more people that want to wear hats that is when there will be a problem. So in that respect I do think we need to support retailers whoever they maybe because if we don't "the hat buisness" will diminish slowly as it has been for years. I am sure many of the retailers here that have been around for a while like besdor have seen their share of great hatters and hat companies dissapear because people just don't dress anymore.

Jeremy
http://www.hats-plus.com

feltfan

Vermifuge said:
Art and others do make great hats but I think like others were seeking recognizable status. To say one has a Stetson will raise e more eyebrows then to say it was made buy a guy named Art, custom or not. I guess what I mean is if I gather 20 people at random most of them will recognize the same Stetson or Dobbs.

I'm not sure I follow all of this, but I must say I'm floored
by the idea that people would wear hats for the brand name
recognition, if that's the implication. Given that very few living
people of any age have any interest in hats and given that
Stetson and Dobbs have made precious few decent hats within either of
our lifetimes, I'd be surprised to hear of anyone (whose opinion I
cared about) being impressed by the names Stetson and Dobbs.
This site, of course, gives one a skewed view.

In my experience people react to a nice looking hat. A very few
might have heard the name Borsalino or have some misinformation
about the name Stetson based on watching old Westerns. If someone
were impressed by the Stetson name, I'd be suspicious. If someone
complimented a Vintage Silhouette hat for its apparent beauty, I'd
take it as an honest compliment.

But then I don't wear hats to please others, except as a public
service to show the public the beauty of fine quality hats. I sure
hope younger, well-heeled buyers will stick to Stetson, 'cause that
will leave me a lot of fine Mallorys, Dunlaps, Resistols, Cavanaghs,
and Stevens (etc).

BigSho

Vendor
Feltfan I think you would be suprised how many people wear hats by brand. There is a section of my customer base that literally refers to all dress hats as "a Dobbs". There are many men who will wear nothing but Dobbs, Biltmore, or Stetson. I see it everyday even if the hat they want isn't the right brand they will not want it.

Jeremy
http://www.hats-plus.com

Feraud

Bartender
I can see how people would view Stetson or Borsalino as a status symbol. People do it every day with cars, cell phones, and other assorted "bling". :)
Hat people are no different from anyone else.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
feltfan said:
I'm not sure I follow all of this, but I must say I'm floored
by the idea that people would wear hats for the brand name
recognition, if that's the implication. Given that very few living
people of any age have any interest in hats and given that
Stetson and Dobbs have made precious few decent hats within either of
our lifetimes, I'd be surprised to hear of anyone (whose opinion I
cared about) being impressed by the names Stetson and Dobbs.
This site, of course, gives one a skewed view.
The answer to this is so simple you will wonder how you missed this. It’s so easy to get wrapped up in what you think popular culture is and completely miss the point.

In this day and age it’s easy to say that rap or even alternative music dominated the air waves. That may be true if you live in a major city like San Francisco, New York or even Seattle. But the most popular music in America remains…. Country as it has for decades.

And all those good country boys and girls have a Stetson Cowboy hats. So yeah it’s not hard to imagine that a name like Stetson is recognized today just as is was 50 years ago.

feltfan

Wow, BigSho, Feraud, and Vermifuge,

I am surprised to hear this. I guess that's a good
point about the cowboy hats and popular culture, Vermifuge.

And BigSho, it seems like a quaint anachronism to hear
that people are still loyal to those brands, even though
the brands themselves have changed so thoroughly.

I guess I really have no idea what the average hat buyer
is looking for. Glad to hear folks are buying and wearing hats.
Hope they'll support our hat making craftsmen as well as
their favorite brands and retail stores.

feltfan said:
Wow, BigSho, Feraud, and Vermifuge,

I am surprised to hear this. I guess that's a good
point about the cowboy hats and popular culture, Vermifuge.

And BigSho, it seems like a quaint anachronism to hear
that people are still loyal to those brands, even though
the brands themselves have changed so thoroughly.

I guess I really have no idea what the average hat buyer
is looking for. Glad to hear folks are buying and wearing hats.
Hope they'll support our hat making craftsmen as well as
their favorite brands and retail stores.

As far as I am concerned, I am not going to argue. Let them wear those costume hats that the modern factories turn out. It will certainly disappoint them and then they will either go away discouraged (when the hat shrinks up like a shrinky dink in the rain or tapers like a candle) or they will look to the craftsmen of today to make them a custom hat that can stand the rigors of weather and wear.
They will certainly stay away from those stinky old vintage hats on OFAS. No, you don't want those. Buy new always and forever. You will never get a good deal on OFAS. Leave that to the experts. I like the way young people think today. More power to you dudes. :eusa_clap :p

Regards,

J

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Serial Hero said:
This thread sounds more like a bunch of long time hat enthusiasts trying to talk the new guy out of bidding on eBay so they themselves won’t have to pay as much or have a better chance of winning the auctions, rather than a thread giving out good advice.

eBay: over-inflating the perceived value of collectibles since 1995

Curses, you've uncovered my plan. You win this time but one day, mark my words, all hats will be mine for I am HATFINGER.

:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart