Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Autumnal Thoughts........

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Autumn in a nice time of year...you get to wear all those fabulous thick luxury coats that are packed away that you have to take to the dry cleaners to be ready for action....then you have the hunt for that nice working snow blower to help keep you from killing yourself shoveling snow....and the boxes of kleenex you need to buy for all the running noses and colds you are about to get.....all the doors that allow cold air into your home now need to have some rolled up towels to place across the bottoms so your heat bill does not make you desire to commit suicide.....all your relatives that are on what they call, "the down low" seem to find your telephone number, (they never call you all year long...thank god), and they desire to probe into your "cookie jar savings amount" as you know they have a long sob story and are just hinting so hard that you will offer to send them $20,000.00 to get them out of hock.....your list for Christmas appears to look like a book written by Alfred Hitchcock starring Vincent Price as the evil Santa, and you have to find the cook book as everyone that does make it to your front door slips past security and will want some intensely wah-hooed meals made for them...and last but not least....(we all know you have one in the family, do not lie about it, no matter how embarrassing it is to admit) your old Cousin Sparky shows up with her newest Husband, (this time number 19) and they have in tow, several small children that are totally unaccounted for and have a prime objective: Eat, break things around the home, use your shower as they have been on...the...road...for a week or more...and they ALWAYS need gas money to get back home......yes ....Autumn....it is THAT time of year...(sigh).....

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Autumn......

What did Autumn do to you people?

That question here for us, strictly depends on which Autumn you could be thinking about....you see there was Autumn Zeldameyer....she is now on Death Row after having a sex change and started to use the name Robert G. Malone......arrested and convicted for killing all the neighbors that lived next door, just hated the music being played on the stereo.....then there was the other Autumn....Autumn Thomas.....we caught her several times stealing vegetables from our garden...she was a klepto.

Autumn in a nice time of year...you get to wear all those fabulous thick luxury coats that are packed away that you have to take to the dry cleaners to be ready for action....then you have the hunt for that nice working snow blower to help keep you from killing yourself shoveling snow....and the boxes of kleenex you need to buy for all the running noses and colds you are about to get.....all the doors that allow cold air into your home now need to have some rolled up towels to place across the bottoms so your heat bill does not make you desire to commit suicide.....all your relatives that are on what they call, "the down low" seem to find your telephone number, (they never call you all year long...thank god), and they desire to probe into your "cookie jar savings amount" as you know they have a long sob story and are just hinting so hard that you will offer to send them $20,000.00 to get them out of hock.....your list for Christmas appears to look like a book written by Alfred Hitchcock starring Vincent Price as the evil Santa, and you have to find the cook book as everyone that does make it to your front door slips past security and will want some intensely wah-hooed meals made for them...and last but not least....(we all know you have one in the family, do not lie about it, no matter how embarrassing it is to admit) your old Cousin Sparky shows up with her newest Husband, (this time number 19) and they have in tow, several small children that are totally unaccounted for and have a prime objective: Eat, break things around the home, use your shower as they have been on...the...road...for a week or more...and they ALWAYS need gas money to get back home......yes ....Autumn....it is THAT time of year...(sigh).....

All good reasons to HATE Evil Autumn.

...all your relatives that are on what they call, "the down low" seem to find your telephone number, (they never call you all year long...thank god), and they desire to probe into your "cookie jar savings amount" as you know they have a long sob story and are just hinting so hard that you will offer to send them $20,000.00 to get them out of hock...and last but not least....(we all know you have one in the family, do not lie about it, no matter how embarrassing it is to admit) your old Cousin Sparky shows up with her newest Husband, (this time number 19) and they have in tow, several small children that are totally unaccounted for and have a prime objective: Eat, break things around the home, use your shower as they have been on...the...road...for a week or more...and they ALWAYS need gas money to get back home...
We don't have these problems for two reasons. First, all the relatives we've "loaned" money to have severed all contact for fear they'd have to pay us back; small price to pay for that kind of peace of mind. Second, I've "alienated" the other relatives by pointing out the fact that the only times we'd hear from them was when they wanted something other than to simply spend time together; I'm apparently not good enough to hang out with unless I'm moving their furniture, repairing something in their house, acting as their personal chauffeur/free taxi service, or bailing them out of any number of jams they've gotten themselves into. :D

Mind you, these are the relatives on my side of the family. We've never had such problems with my wife's relatives because they're either reasonable and responsible people, or they live too far away for it to be practical for them to "put the bite" on us. lol

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The cat is wary of that EVIL pumpkin.
Well the pumpkin IS crowding him in the chair.
So it's understandable.

Ah, far away relatives are the best.
700 miles has made the relationship between my MIL and myself perfect. :D
And just knowing she won't ever come back to TN because she doesn't like the 12hr drive is somehow
comforting. Of course I have to go down to TX a few times a year, but hey...I get my own room (8x9) away from the family, with it's own freezer, air mattress, a/c (I bought that), and nobody touches my cooler (stocked with wine or beer depending on my mood). Despite the room being tight (that's a queen size air mattress we're on) at least the bed is big enough for myself, and the 2 "girls." Here is one of them from our last trip...
scarlettairbed.jpg
And the other one. Bedlies are well known bed hogs!
bluebelleairbed.jpg

Mae, what happened to our love of Autumn?
According to Luvmyman, Autumn Thomas took it...dern stick fingers. :p

Last edited:

AvavanBlythe

Familiar Face
Autumn has been my favorite time of the year. It isn't too cold or too hot. I get to make my favorite spiced drinks and gear up for all the holidays. Most of my favorite outfits are Autumn related. I can't say I've had problems with relatives. I live too far away from those I might have trouble with. Sadly, I live half a world away from the ones I'd love to get to know better.

My immediate family is tight-knit, and we enjoy time spent together. Thanksgiving is actually a highlight for us, because it's more of an intimate party among loved ones. We don't grudgingly invite people over and force ourselves to get along. At times we'll invite a friend who may not have anyone to spend time with, and let them enjoy a great evening with laughter and fun.

As for preparing for Christmas, my mom's culture celebrates it somewhat early. It's literally an entire season, but very festive and fun, not overtly commercial and irritating. Colorful Parols, amazing light displays, and festive food... I've always felt that the Philippines has Christmas balanced out just right. I encourage everyone to find a Filipino who can cook, and try Ube Halaya pudding, Lumpia Shanghai, and Pancit. Those are 3 holiday dishes that are amazing. I will state that no one cooks them better than my mom. Of course. ;)

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Autumn has been my favorite time of the year. It isn't too cold or too hot. I get to make my favorite spiced drinks and gear up for all the holidays. Most of my favorite outfits are Autumn related. I can't say I've had problems with relatives. I live too far away from those I might have trouble with. Sadly, I live half a world away from the ones I'd love to get to know better.

My immediate family is tight-knit, and we enjoy time spent together. Thanksgiving is actually a highlight for us, because it's more of an intimate party among loved ones. We don't grudgingly invite people over and force ourselves to get along. At times we'll invite a friend who may not have anyone to spend time with, and let them enjoy a great evening with laughter and fun.

As for preparing for Christmas, my mom's culture celebrates it somewhat early. It's literally an entire season, but very festive and fun, not overtly commercial and irritating. Colorful Parols, amazing light displays, and festive food... I've always felt that the Philippines has Christmas balanced out just right. I encourage everyone to find a Filipino who can cook, and try Ube Halaya pudding, Lumpia Shanghai, and Pancit. Those are 3 holiday dishes that are amazing. I will state that no one cooks them better than my mom. Of course. ;)

O.K. I understand about how fantastic your Mom can cook....does she do house calls? LOL!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Well the pumpkin IS crowding him in the chair.
So it's understandable.

Ah, far away relatives are the best.
700 miles has made the relationship between my MIL and myself perfect. :D
And just knowing she won't ever come back to TN because she doesn't like the 12hr drive is somehow
comforting. Of course I have to go down to TX a few times a year, but hey...I get my own room (8x9) away from the family, with it's own freezer, air mattress, a/c (I bought that), and nobody touches my cooler (stocked with wine or beer depending on my mood). Despite the room being tight (that's a queen size air mattress we're on) at least the bed is big enough for myself, and the 2 "girls." Here is one of them from our last trip...
View attachment 18730
And the other one. Bedlies are well known bed hogs!
View attachment 18731

Mae, what happened to our love of Autumn?
According to Luvmyman, Autumn Thomas took it...dern stick fingers. :p
Oh lord...we have a few of those "bed warmers" here too...3 dogs and 2 cats.....if they are not on the bed they are near it, under it or looking at it.....lol

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
We don't have these problems for two reasons. First, all the relatives we've "loaned" money to have severed all contact for fear they'd have to pay us back; small price to pay for that kind of peace of mind. Second, I've "alienated" the other relatives by pointing out the fact that the only times we'd hear from them was when they wanted something other than to simply spend time together; I'm apparently not good enough to hang out with unless I'm moving their furniture, repairing something in their house, acting as their personal chauffeur/free taxi service, or bailing them out of any number of jams they've gotten themselves into. :D

Mind you, these are the relatives on my side of the family. We've never had such problems with my wife's relatives because they're either reasonable and responsible people, or they live too far away for it to be practical for them to "put the bite" on us. lol

At least you are honest enough to admit it...some people I guess are too embarrassed about members of their family tree......

Just like Cousin Sparky and her new Husband and those kids that are unaccounted for....some people also have what is known as an Uncle Tony....Uncle Tony seems to appear just every five or ten years....and when he is not around, he is staying in the "tin cup hotel"...the "big house"....the joint....state pen.....and when he is "out", he finds his way to your home driving that big Cadillac, wearing a suit that is at least one full size too small for him, he has a cheap cigar and a large pinky ring worth a chest of gold as well...wants to discuss the race tracks and Palm Springs or Vegas.....and no matter who his current girlfriend is, her name is always "Stella".....

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Everybody has horrible relatives.

My in-laws are like that. You ask them for help in a crisis and they will label you as selfish, cruel, and demanding of things that are "unrealistic expectations." My mother-in-law had the nerve to tell me that I was being "selfish" for asking them to come to my graduation when I had cancer. When I was going through cancer treatment they demanded a visit on their schedule and ignored my pleas that they come different days within their scheduled time in the area so I would feel up to their visit. They did nothing but complain about the trip, their finances, and their health.

Needless to say, their trip was uneventful, they make three times what we do, and they have never dealt with a life threatening illness that caused them to mortgage their house.

I think they paid for *one* meal during the trip.

I've had Pancit before. I really love it. :thumb:

Everybody has horrible relatives.

My in-laws are like that. You ask them for help in a crisis and they will label you as selfish, cruel, and demanding of things that are "unrealistic expectations." My mother-in-law had the nerve to tell me that I was being "selfish" for asking them to come to my graduation when I had cancer. When I was going through cancer treatment they demanded a visit on their schedule and ignored my pleas that they come different days within their scheduled time in the area so I would feel up to their visit. They did nothing but complain about the trip, their finances, and their health.

Needless to say, their trip was uneventful, they make three times what we do, and they have never dealt with a life threatening illness that caused them to mortgage their house.

I think they paid for *one* meal during the trip.

Oh geez! If I had in-laws like that, they would not be allowed anywhere near me---and my wife knows it. :p

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh geez! If I had in-laws like that, they would not be allowed anywhere near me---and my wife knows it. :p

You know that crazy uncle or cousin or whatever extended family member you have that's crazy? The one where you actively avoid them because they are just so downright crazy that you don't want them in your house?

Those crazy people are pretty much our parents.

Our extended family is sane, kind, and pretty much normal.

Someone has to have them as parents for them to be in every family, and apparently my husband and I drew the short straws.

You know that crazy uncle or cousin or whatever extended family member you have that's crazy? The one where you actively avoid them because they are just so downright crazy that you don't want them in your house?

Those crazy people are pretty much our parents.

Our extended family is sane, kind, and pretty much normal.

Someone has to have them as parents for them to be in every family, and apparently my husband and I drew the short straws.

:doh:
I guess I drew the long straw but the stipulation was that they were all gone before I reached 40. :doh:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Parents...I have my Mom yet, she is 92 going on being a 1 1/2 year old....and fast! My Father died some time ago.....Daniel's Father has been gone since 2000....his Mom is still around...doing well...and an "aunt mom" that is also doing well. My parents have been a positive part of life as has Daniel's so no bad stories there....but as the late Paul Harvey would say, now....for the rest of the story.....lol My ADULT children have all progressed themselves into their own World, my oldest Son is not allowed near me....I actually carry a 9mm (two, one on the waist concealed another in purse or ankle holster) and that speaks for itself regarding what relationship I have with him.....my youngest Son lives far enough away that I don't have to worry about him....and my Daughter works on some Island now, off the coast of the State of Washington, so she is not around to create any problems directly at our home.....and for the loons they have all been placed on notice....if they come here now, they enter at their own risks! LOL I do have a few family that is always welcome and many friends that are considered family....as does my Husband. There is only one living relative in his family that is wearing the loon badge...and that one does not have our home address nor phone numbers...so...as the Umpire says while Casey slides home..."you're safe"! lol! Cousin Sparky has been directed to stick to the direction of the Salvation Army for any help or meals she may need for Christmas time....including all those kids she has that still are not accounted for....

Last edited:
At least you are honest enough to admit it...some people I guess are too embarrassed about members of their family tree...
I understand what you're saying here, but I've never understood why I should be embarrassed by another person's behavior regardless of whether or not they're family. Besides, their screw-ups often make for good storytelling. :D

...some people also have what is known as an Uncle Tony...
I actually had an Uncle Tony, but he was nothing like what you've described. He got reasonably wealthy by investing--in fact, when I was young he often told me, "Don't work for your money, make your money work for you." Trouble is, he never told me how to do that. Then, when I was old enough to understand what she was telling me, Mom told me that he got the money for his first investment by draining it from the bank account Mom and Dad had set up to pay for my older brother's college education. I don't know the exact figures, but Mom described it by saying "he made a killing". And he never bothered to return the money he'd "borrowed".

Our version of "Uncle Tony" was Uncle Richard. He'd been a Marine in World War II, maybe during the war in Korea, and was either a Marine or a mercenary during the war in Vietnam; my sister and I have heard stories. He once woke me up by banging on my bedroom window at 2:00 a.m. after having driven the 75 miles from home because he wanted me to accompany him on his search for some place to get a cheeseburger. I have some barely believable stories about him, but I couldn't begin to tell any of them within the limited space a forum like this provides. I will tell you this though--when he died, my wife and I wound up with his cremains because his landlady didn't know who else to send them to (there's a long and somewhat crazy story behind that). They sat on our dining table in a brown plastic box for about a year while we decided what to do with them. During that time people would occasionally see the box and ask, "What's that?" The looks on their faces were priceless when we'd reply, "Oh, that's Uncle Richard." We got quite a few laughs out of that, but I know Uncle Richard would have approved. Yep, that's the kind of family I have. lol

I understand what you're saying here, but I've never understood why I should be embarrassed by another person's behavior regardless of whether or not they're family. Besides, their screw-ups often make for good storytelling. :D

I actually had an Uncle Tony, but he was nothing like what you've described. He got reasonably wealthy by investing--in fact, when I was young he often told me, "Don't work for your money, make your money work for you." Trouble is, he never told me how to do that. Then, when I was old enough to understand what she was telling me, Mom told me that he got the money for his first investment by draining it from the bank account Mom and Dad had set up to pay for my older brother's college education. I don't know the exact figures, but Mom described it by saying "he made a killing". And he never bothered to return the money he'd "borrowed".

Our version of "Uncle Tony" was Uncle Richard. He'd been a Marine in World War II, maybe during the war in Korea, and was either a Marine or a mercenary during the war in Vietnam; my sister and I have heard stories. He once woke me up by banging on my bedroom window at 2:00 a.m. after having driven the 75 miles from home because he wanted me to accompany him on his search for some place to get a cheeseburger. I have some barely believable stories about him, but I couldn't begin to tell any of them within the limited space a forum like this provides. I will tell you this though--when he died, my wife and I wound up with his cremains because his landlady didn't know who else to send them to (there's a long and somewhat crazy story behind that). They sat on our dining table in a brown plastic box for about a year while we decided what to do with them. During that time people would occasionally see the box and ask, "What's that?" The looks on their faces were priceless when we'd reply, "Oh, that's Uncle Richard." We got quite a few laughs out of that, but I know Uncle Richard would have approved. Yep, that's the kind of family I have. lol

The Addams Family. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred