Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Autumnal Thoughts........

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
You have a drought in Maine? We have one here in New Mexico, but it's been going on for years and may, if some climate scientists are correct, last another 300 or more, a real Anasazi-killing drought. Of course, I'll probably miss most of it.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
You have a drought in Maine? We have one here in New Mexico, but it's been going on for years and may, if some climate scientists are correct, last another 300 or more, a real Anasazi-killing drought. Of course, I'll probably miss most of it.
We here in my part of Colorado were in drought for several years, but the last couple we had plenty of moisture. There are other parts that are still in drought. Luck of the Jet Stream I guise!

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like autumn. For one thing, the local grape harvest is well under way. This weekend is one of my favorite seasonal events: The annual hike through the vineyards with friends, sampling wine as we go! My wife will put a hearty beef & mushroom stew in the crockpot that will be waiting for us when we get home.

https://www.wien.info/en/shopping-wining-dining/wine/wine-trail

Wien Wine Wandertag.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I like autumn. For one thing, the local grape harvest is well under way.
The grape from Austria is well known in the production of Pinot Noir. Problem for us oldies is that the wine is a diuretic. Always enterprising, I can't wait to sample the new blend that overcomes the bladder difficulties, targeting the older quaffer, it's called Pinot More.

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
The leaves are changing, and while the Turkey Vultures have not yet headed South for winter I've been seeing more Ravens of late. We've had Hobbit Day, and now are readying for Samhain! Already I've had use of the wood burning stove, in fact we're due a cold front this weekend. And, it being October, the tarantula migration is happening.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
It was in the 60s today, and the leaves are changing, seen a lot of Canadian geese around our parks for the last month, so they must know!

We've had a couple of fall-like early mornings lately, and one evening last week I actually needed a long sleeved shirt to sit on the porch and drink a beer (this was about 9 p.m.) but we are still having daytime highs around 90. The only leaves changing colors I've seen so far have been on the internet. I'm about ready for fall to hurry on up and get here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Last evening was incredible. Took the new pup for a walk and it was nice and chilly outside. The high school down the street had a football game going and as I walked, leaves of gold, yellow, and red skittered along the sidewalk. First time I'd felt alive in about three months (I hate summer). Then I came home and had homemade chili and a cinnamon roll for supper, and watched A Foreign Affair on TCM. Perfect night.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
In the UK we refer to the central heating furnace as a boiler, every Autumn, as the temperature falls, we switch it on for an hour or so, before it's needed, just to make sure it's working well and to check to see if any of the radiators need bleeding.
It must be getting cooler, this year's test run resulted in our cats curled up under a warm radiator apiece.

Last evening was incredible. Took the new pup for a walk and it was nice and chilly outside. The high school down the street had a football game going and as I walked, leaves of gold, yellow, and red skittered along the sidewalk. First time I'd felt alive in about three months (I hate summer). Then I came home and had homemade chili and a cinnamon roll for supper, and watched A Foreign Affair on TCM. Perfect night.

Sounds like a wonderful evening.

Jean Arthur - one of the best female voices ever.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
In the UK we refer to the central heating furnace as a boiler, every Autumn, as the temperature falls, we switch it on for an hour or so, before it's needed, just to make sure it's working well and to check to see if any of the radiators need bleeding.
It must be getting cooler, this year's test run resulted in our cats curled up under a warm radiator apiece.

Whenever we turn on our heating, my cat, Slick, (the really ornery one) freaks out. He meows and paces. I guess he doesn't like the noise.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Last evening was incredible. Took the new pup for a walk and it was nice and chilly outside. The high school down the street had a football game going and as I walked, leaves of gold, yellow, and red skittered along the sidewalk...

Notre Dame and the Bears are stuck in first gear,:( tarnishing autumn to some extent; although the Cubbies are on a rock-and-roller coaster ride to the World Series.:D
It's all great weather wise here, but without the Irish and Bears adding their luster tooo_O fall seems a bit pale. Even The Hawk has flown away.:confused:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
We have both. Water and steam heat have boilers, my Victorian has that. Then there are furnaces, which are usually forced air, where a heating element gets nice and hot, then a fan blows the heat out of the registers, or vents, usually, with a blast of cool air at the end of the cycle. I like the boiler the best, just can't beat the nice even heat!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Then there are furnaces, which are usually forced air, where a heating element gets nice and hot, then a fan blows the heat out of the registers, or vents, usually, with a blast of cool air at the end of the cycle.
Do you know, I never realised, I just thought it was one of those braces/suspenders kind of lost in the pond translation. You live and learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails