Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Autumnal Thoughts........

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
The summer heat does tend to take it's toll & after 2 distinct grueling heatwaves I am looking forward to more reasonable weather,, when I can do the things I want to without fainting or being drenched in sweat.
Since the 21st century has been upon us, september tends to be a continuation of august, albeit with cooler nights, so we don't see any real autumnal weather until mid-october at the earliest.
Spring this year sorta started in december of last year, so it's difficult to stay focused on just what time of year it is at the moment anyway. The plants on the other hand, despite an unprecedented early start, seem to have caught up & are behaving normally for the season.

It's a good sign, I think, that the plants are behaving normally as it suggests that Fall/Autumn might come at the right time. One of the reasons why I plan to move away from London in the next few years is that Summer starts earlier than the rest of the country (including the rest of Southern England) and seems to cling on longer and be generally more virulent.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Autumn is rolling on, in old Germany. With stronger winds and cold nights. Very enjoyable! :)

My last visit to Germany was to Berlin last Fall. I loved the climate and the quality of life was much better than London terms of good public transport, excellent service and generally better priorities in running a capital city. It's on my list of cities to move to as an escape from Brexit.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Yep, August has finally reared its hot, ugly face here in Chicagoland. All the grass is browned, and the heat is no bueno. I'm so sick of it that last night I pulled my Bean boots out from storage and stuck them in my closet.

Cooler nights and golden sun hues, thankfully, have been among the blessings of late summer. Though, the California fires have certainly helped bring out more golden sunsets, though my heart goes out to those experiencing the devastation.

Agree with all of that. I would choose Fall to visit Chicagoland. Is it still known as 'The Windy City'?

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Late summer, nights getting colder, morning light already has that golden autumnal tone, morning mist over harvested fields...
Can’t wait to hear the cranes calling again, flying southwards over my house...
Love the colder seasons.

My sentiments entirely! Roll on Autumn: it can't come soon enough.

Feh, sez I. You want summer weather to continue? Come to Los Angeles here in the southwestern corner of the continental U.S.. The weather monkeys are predicting high-80s to mid-90s (°F) for the next couple of weeks, with the accompanying noticeably uncomfortable humidity. If the last several years are any indication, this weather will last until at least mid-October. :mad:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Feh, sez I. You want summer weather to continue? Come to Los Angeles here in the southwestern corner of the continental U.S.. The weather monkeys are predicting high-80s to mid-90s (°F) for the next couple of weeks, with the accompanying noticeably uncomfortable humidity. If the last several years are any indication, this weather will last until at least mid-October. :mad:
Even thinking about that makes me want to put my hands over my ears and scream like the Edvard Munch figure.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Both politically and meteorologically!

We had a large windstorm sweep through the area earlier this month. Sustained wind speeds were comparable to a Cat. 1 hurricane! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_2020_Midwest_derecho

In terms of political history, I remember reading ‘Miami and the Siege of Chicago’ by Norman Mailer - about the Republican and Democratic Conventions in 1968. In Chicago, the ‘Yippies’ staged a counter-convention in Lincoln Park and nominated a live pig called Pigasus (‘Vote Pig In ‘68). Strange but true.

Last edited:
Sounds a lot like the weather down here in the southeastern corner of the U.S.

I guess the biggest difference is we get hurricanes and tornadoes instead of fires and earthquakes.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I hope you'll excuse my ignorance, but from what I've seen some people in SoCal wearing even in summer, I've always assumed that the definition of "high humidity" in LA was very different from what I'd consider high himidty here.
Sounds a lot like the weather down here in the southeastern corner of the U.S.

I guess the biggest difference is we get hurricanes and tornadoes instead of fires and earthquakes.
You couldn't pay me enough to spend a summer in the South Eastern US. The high heat and high humidity here in Illinois is bad enough. I couldn't imagine it it magnified to the levels in the regional South.

I hope you'll excuse my ignorance, but from what I've seen some people in SoCal wearing even in summer, I've always assumed that the definition of "high humidity" in LA was very different from what I'd consider high himidty here.
Believe it or not, I understand what you mean. In the 39 years we've been married my wife and I have been to Chicago a number of times for family events (her family, that is) and/or just vacations, always during the mid- to late-summer months. The last three or four times we went to Chicago we were surprised when we returned to Los Angeles to find the weather here was considerably more uncomfortable (hotter and more humid) than it had been in Chicago. According to the meteorologists, Arizona's "monsoon season" has been slowly moving farther west in recent years, so before too long southern California will have a monsoon season as well.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I don't sleep at all well in summer, high summer especially, but now I find that I am getting far longer and more relaxing sleep. The mornings are cooler, the sun is (mostly) gentler. And, best of all, the nights are 'drawing in'. We are getting there at last!!!

The most horrible August, I remember, was 2017. Several weeks in succession with tropical humid nights, when termperature didn't went down. Impossible to think of sleep and after weeks, you felt wrecked and sick. :confused:
But it luckily didn't repeat in 2018/2019 and this year.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
The most horrible August, I remember, was 2017. Several weeks in succession with tropical humid nights, when termperature didn't went down. Impossible to think of sleep and after weeks, you felt wrecked and sick. :confused:
But it luckily didn't repeat in 2018/2019 and this year.

I still have deeply unpleasant memories of Summer 1995 - 25 years ago! Day after day of heat and humidity, beginning in June, getting worse in July and worst of all in August!!! The nights were sticky and even first thing in the morning the sun started to burn. I was living in central London at the time and fortunately my office was round the corner from my apartment and so I didn't need to take the Underground, which was hellish and suffocating. In early July I went on a walking holiday with friends on the North-West Coast of Ireland and got 10 days of respite, but then it was back to the Inferno.
This is why I call summer a rehearsal for Hell!

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
As I type this, the air may be sticky, but the meteorologists predict Autumn may be coming sooner rather than later, as a cool front moves in after Labor Day, with the possibility of 60 degree weather coming with it! I usually welcome the cooling reprieve from the August heat, but for some reason I've been appreciating the hot end of summer more and more these past few years. Even as I see neighbors already putting out Autumn decorations, I find myself crying, "Too soon! Too soon!"

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
As I type this, the air may be sticky, but the meteorologists predict Autumn may be coming sooner rather than later, as a cool front moves in after Labor Day, with the possibility of 60 degree weather coming with it! I usually welcome the cooling reprieve from the August heat, but for some reason I've been appreciating the hot end of summer more and more these past few years. Even as I see neighbors already putting out Autumn decorations, I find myself crying, "Too soon! Too soon!"

It is never too soon for me!!!

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I've had very itchy ankles for the last few days so I guess the harvest mite/chigger season has arrived. A sure sign autumn is approaching.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana