Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Autumnal Thoughts........

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
California HAS SNOW! We have plenty of snow in the winter! It just snows in the mountains and not in the valleys. So, if you want to ski, you can, if you want to go fishing, you can, if you want to go swimming, you can. It's the everything state! Fall is very beautiful here in most areas of CA. Leaves turn great colors and fall with out old man winter bighting them off. It starts to get cool in October and through January is nice and comfortable. Summer here is nasty hot. But the more north you go, its cooler!

California is a great state no matter how many people think ill of it.

I have lived here all my life and when I left Canada, I couldn't wait to get back to CA!

Root.

For those in CA who want a change in seasons, you know no one's holding you here. :p
Well, I am going to be nice...but I lived in California from 1955 until 1997...you won't get me to move back, either. Lived all over the State, last home was in "The Country" private community in Diamond bar. Yes the weather is warmer year round, and you get smog and cops and crooks all tossed into the mix with bumper to bumper traffic and sky high prices on housing and food and car insurance and free tickets for getting your car inspected too late, no...I won't be back to California....but yes...there are Mountains and Beaches and bikini gals walking along POP 101, and all of that...but I have to say I was glad to get back to my real home State of Michigan and enjoy the beauty here as well.

I am glad you like California. I don't have to lock my doors where I live now.

Well, I am going to be nice...but I lived in California from 1955 until 1997...you won't get me to move back, either. Lived all over the State, last home was in "The Country" private community in Diamond bar. Yes the weather is warmer year round, and you get smog and cops and crooks all tossed into the mix with bumper to bumper traffic and sky high prices on housing and food and car insurance and free tickets for getting your car inspected too late, no...I won't be back to California....but yes...there are Mountains and Beaches and bikini gals walking along POP 101, and all of that...but I have to say I was glad to get back to my real home State of Michigan and enjoy the beauty here as well.

I am glad you like California. I don't have to lock my doors where I live now.

I am guessing you don't live in Flint, Detroit or near these areas then. I suppose you could live there if you wanted to though since there are so many abandoned houses that you could live in free. :p
I don't much like the political climate here but the climate is fine. :p

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
No, I have a home downstate in Marshall, Mi, and another home up in the Mio/Luzerne area of Michigan.

To also include the fall colors are great to view, and fall coming upon us is nice.

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I am guessing you don't live in Flint, Detroit or near these areas then. I suppose you could live there if you wanted to though since there are so many abandoned houses that you could live in free. :p
I don't much like the political climate here but the climate is fine. :p
Yes the weather is normally nicer temp wise in CA., but I can recall some rather rotten spells a few times. The very first year in California that we as a family lived there is snowed, (living in Redlands at the time), for about half a day. It snowed maybe a half inch total and they shut down the schools and sent us home.

Yes there are some run down areas in Michigan, you can find that in any State. I will say that although Detroit looks bleak, and so does Flint as you quoted, they are not as bad as Compton, Watts, South Central Los Angelos, and a few other areas I have seen in CA. I had a business for a few years in the Bay area which I note you are from, and that area is not all a picnic everywhere either. I know many people like CA, and the more to them. I happen to not view CA as a great place to be but that is my Opinion.

California is a huge state. Some parts better than others. But it's an amazing state too. I miss seasons, being in SoCal, but the only thing that drives me nutters is the politics here.
I can drive a few hours and skydive, SCUBA dive, and ski in the same day! I can also sit in traffic for 2+ hours to go to work 25 miles away. A mixed blessing it is, but not where I'll end my life (if I have a say in it)
For that, I'm going north. Ranch, animals, and back to where I came from.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
California is a huge state. Some parts better than others. But it's an amazing state too. I miss seasons, being in SoCal, but the only thing that drives me nutters is the politics here.
I can drive a few hours and skydive, SCUBA dive, and ski in the same day! I can also sit in traffic for 2+ hours to go to work 25 miles away. A mixed blessing it is, but not where I'll end my life (if I have a say in it)
For that, I'm going north. Ranch, animals, and back to where I came from.
Yes there is that variety there. I did like the northern part of California, the redwood trees are great. I almost moved to a small town Eureka at one point of time. It is a very nice place, has a lot of Victorian old style homes and from what I understand, the city has been used for making a few movies there.

I agree also about the things politics wise, and all the over kill with laws and all of that. In 1996 I purchased a new car and the glove box was stuffed with all the paperwork required by law to be given as well as an additional box of notices that were required by law. It is like there are laws for the laws that connect to the other laws just pertaining to the purchase of a vehicle, it is out of hand.

Last edited:

IndianaWay

New in Town
No offense to anyone, but I did the southern California thing for a couple years and couldn't wait to get back to Indiana. I did really miss the change of season. I moved back to Indiana 20 years ago and have never regretted it (with the possible exception of a couple -10 to -20 degree mornings).

One of my favorite "autumn things" is the print that used to run in the Chicago Tribune - "Injun Summer" - by John T. McCutcheon. I bought a print of it with the accompanying text. I know a lot of the language in the text is deemed inappropriate now, and to a degree I can't argue that point. I recognize it's a complex issue. But I love the history represented in that picture, the boy with his grandpa, and the reminder that in the whole scheme of things, we're only here for a little while...

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Ugh!!! Now that Tropical Storm Lee has finally moved on, we're back to 85F and high humidity. My air conditioner broke Thursday afternoon and by Friday morning, the bread had turned moldy, the air dry laundry I had hung up was still as wet as if it had just come out of the washer. The worst thing about summer is feeling the need to take shower, about 15 minutes after you get out of the shower. I'm convinced that anyone who loves summer must live where it's not humid.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ugh!!! Now that Tropical Storm Lee has finally moved on, we're back to 85F and high humidity. My air conditioner broke Thursday afternoon and by Friday morning, the bread had turned moldy, the air dry laundry I had hung up was still as wet as if it had just come out of the washer. The worst thing about summer is feeling the need to take shower, about 15 minutes after you get out of the shower. I'm convinced that anyone who loves summer must live where it's not humid.

Ouch! :eeek:

My mom loves summer. And while I'm trying not to move a muscle (a slight motion produces sweat), she's enjoying it..
I prefer the fallen leaves. :D

PoohBang

Suspended
Southern Calif does have seasons. They're not as obvious as they are in the Midwest, but oddly they're kind of reversed. It smells and feels like fall in the spring. Summer is summer then winter with a touch of spring. But since it's always green here, Spring isn't as in your face as in the Midwest.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Yes, that humidity can be real nasty to deal with. We get that here and it really stinks to be feeling like you are all gummy from head to toe.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Southern Calif does have seasons. They're not as obvious as they are in the Midwest, but oddly they're kind of reversed. It smells and feels like fall in the spring. Summer is summer then winter with a touch of spring. But since it's always green here, Spring isn't as in your face as in the Midwest.
That is true and some of it depends on where you live at in the State of California.

Yes there are some run down areas in Michigan, you can find that in any State. I will say that although Detroit looks bleak, and so does Flint as you quoted, they are not as bad as Compton, Watts, South Central Los Angelos, and a few other areas I have seen in CA. I had a business for a few years in the Bay area which I note you are from, and that area is not all a picnic everywhere either. I know many people like CA, and the more to them. I happen to not view CA as a great place to be but that is my Opinion.

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't be here if I had less stuff to move and not as much family connection. :p
However, Detroit and Flint are worse than Compton, Watts and South Central all together. At least the buildings are occupied in Compton and Watts. :p They have never been in receivership either---although I wonder why not sometimes. :p

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't be here if I had less stuff to move and not as much family connection. :p
However, Detroit and Flint are worse than Compton, Watts and South Central all together. At least the buildings are occupied in Compton and Watts. :p They have never been in receivership either---although I wonder why not sometimes. :p
Not one to disagree on many things as you know Michigan was hit hard by the downfall of machine shops and the auto industry going more "automative"...but really, you could about fit Flint and Detroit into Pico Rivera.

I stayed in California basically due to family and owning a business and having the nice big want-to-be custom home...when things changed, and I could get out of California, I was darn happy to leave! I even had to about fist fight for my plane ticket as they had the information all messed up in the puter where you pick up your ticket and check in.

I do miss some of the Mountains, we lived right on the foothills in Glendora, in a Mansion that was built in about 1930 for the Le Fetra family.. If you drove pase the foothills of Glendora you would see the big white house with columns from the expressway, on the side of the mountain foothills. Stayed in that house until I graduated high school. The city was much different then as it is now.

Not one to disagree on many things as you know Michigan was hit hard by the downfall of machine shops and the auto industry going more "automative"...but really, you could about fit Flint and Detroit into Pico Rivera.

I stayed in California basically due to family and owning a business and having the nice big want-to-be custom home...when things changed, and I could get out of California, I was darn happy to leave! I even had to about fist fight for my plane ticket as they had the information all messed up in the puter where you pick up your ticket and check in.

I do miss some of the Mountains, we lived right on the foothills in Glendora, in a Mansion that was built in about 1930 for the Le Fetra family.. If you drove pase the foothills of Glendora you would see the big white house with columns from the expressway, on the side of the mountain foothills. Stayed in that house until I graduated high school. The city was much different then as it is now.

Things certainly have changed here since I graduated from high school as well.
That mansion was probably costing a ton of money in property tax every year.:eusa_doh:
I could well leave too but then again, I am not giving in to the morons who caused these problems. My family has been here for five generations now. Paking up and moving to Texas now would be giving in to the barbarian hordes. :p Also remember that what starts here usually makes its way across the country. I want to kill it in the cradle so I have somewhere to run to if it gets too bad. :p

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Things certainly have changed here since I graduated from high school as well.
That mansion was probably costing a ton of money in property tax every year.:eusa_doh:
I could well leave too but then again, I am not giving in to the morons who caused these problems. My family has been here for five generations now. Paking up and moving to Texas now would be giving in to the barbarian hordes. :p Also remember that what starts here usually makes its way across the country. I want to kill it in the cradle so I have somewhere to run to if it gets too bad. :p
The very first house we lived in, in the 50's my Father paid about $85,000. for...my older Brother was looking in the paper(he still lives in California), it just sold a few months ago for $1.7 mil, and in between when we lived there and when it just sold, someone took out the pool in the back yard.

The Mansion is not there any more, it got mowed over and someone built several newer homes on the property.

Yes taxes and so much more is out of control, and not just in California.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy