Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AVI LTHR BRONCO A-2 Jacket Review & Pics

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hi loungers,
I have been looking forward to this jacket for some time now, ever since I first got wind that AVI LTHR had acquired an original WW2 Bronco 29191 and were going to copy the pattern and add this A-2 to their original maker line.
Finally, an affordable original maker A-2 jacket? Is it any good?
In short… Yes, its a great jacket! This IS the jacket that was promised, and more…
So, what follows is my personal opinion.
AVI LTHR BRONCO 042.JPG AVI LTHR BRONCO 043.JPG
This jacket is a pretty fantastic representation of the original WW2 Bronco on the table. (pic from AVI's website)
A-2-bronco-original2.jpg
Also, please bare in mind – this jacket is going for $395 INCL postage! That’s a LOT less than the price of a top tier jacket maker… less than many 'lesser' authentic mid-priced A-2s... And available immediately.
AVI LTHR BRONCO 048.JPG
This jacket is so comfortable as A-2s go, easy to wear and move around in, right out of the box. The goatskin is light and supple, with lots of grain and character.
AVI LTHR BRONCO 062.JPG
That said, the goatskin feels a touch thinner than what I am used too, certainly thinner and more pliable than my horsehide jackets. Seems strong enough, but I wouldn’t role around in the gravel with it.
AVI LTHR BRONCO 061.JPG
It is a mid, chocolate brown colour, a light seal or dark russet… I have been pleasantly surprised to find variations in the hue of the leather (more pics below). There are also some bits with slightly lighter undertones… a mottling if you will… and some small seam areas where the top coating is very slightly rubbing off… This is fantastic, but I don’t know if this will be found across all jackets.
I would love to see this in a darker shade of Seal, as an option, one day perhaps? (hint ;)
Collar and pocket profiles are classic Bronco. Love it.
AVI LTHR BRONCO 051.JPG
Hows this for ‘personality’!
AVI LTHR BRONCO 069.JPG
Note: This jacket is not claiming to be an exact 'clone' of the original jacket, in that I doubt the original was taken apart and the pattern traced (I may be mistaken). Also, this goatskin is not likely the same as that used by the top tier repro makers (more below)... nor are the minute details as exacting as a GW, ELC or the Japanese makers (hand-made, stitch counts, NOS or specially reproduced 'clone' zippers, studs and hooks etc…)…
That being said, they clearly noted the details and seem to have gone to great lengths to get the pattern, hardware and important bits as accurate as possible.
Continued....

Attachments

• AVI LTHR BRONCO 052.JPG
    AVI LTHR BRONCO 052.JPG
    434.9 KB · Views: 973
Last edited:

Brettafett

One Too Many
AVI LTHR BRONCO 031.JPG AVI LTHR BRONCO 032.JPG
Again... Collar profile is classic Bronco.
Slightly longer hanger loop, again well-representative of originals, is neatly stitched.
AVI LTHR BRONCO 016.JPG AVI LTHR BRONCO 006.JPG
The label is a decent representation and looks great, (not as perfectly copied as one might find on a GW or Eastman some might say, but unless one is a collector, who cares…) as do the stamps.
Repro United Carr collar snaps and throat hook are a classy touch and adds to authenticity..
AVI LTHR BRONCO 007.JPG AVI LTHR BRONCO 008.JPG
AVI LTHR BRONCO 017.JPG
Repro Talon zipper, looks great, works smoothly.
AVI LTHR BRONCO 011.JPG AVI LTHR BRONCO 013.JPG

Attachments

• AVI LTHR BRONCO 005.JPG
    AVI LTHR BRONCO 005.JPG
    776.3 KB · Views: 586

Brettafett

One Too Many
Bevelled pocket corners and pocket flap profiles are excellent and well representative of original Broncos.
AVI LTHR BRONCO 012.JPG AVI LTHR BRONCO 002.JPG
Thumbs up for X-box stitching on the epaulets, which are correctly placed slightly back of centre on the shoulders.
AVI LTHR BRONCO 019.JPG AVI LTHR BRONCO 025.JPG
Look at that grain!
Slightly wider sleeve ends are obvious, tick that box.
Knits are classic double weave with no seem, mid brown colour, these are a very nice upgrade from AVI’s previous A-2 jacket. They are tight and of correct thickness. No need to replace these!
AVI LTHR BRONCO 015.JPG AVI LTHR BRONCO 014.JPG
AVI LTHR BRONCO 024.JPG AVI LTHR BRONCO 030.JPG
Cotton lining looks and feels as authentic as can be, and the brown cotton stitching is generally neat and tidy...
no issues there.
AVI LTHR BRONCO 004.JPG AVI LTHR BRONCO 021.JPG
So, to sum up. This is a real 'winner', I'm clearly enthusiastic about this jacket.
Its a complete package.
The jacket looks and feels ‘right’ to me. It has the correct profile, fits squarely on the shoulders, narrowing slightly at the waist. I am very happy with it, and frankly, quite blown away by the quality of this jacket for the price.
Finally, an affordable ‘original contract’ A-2 jacket repro, copied from an original WW2 jacket, with decent quality repro components at a bargain price, thats much more authentic than many of the other mid-ranged competition out there.
If you're looking for a pretty authentic take on an original WW2 A-2 jacket, look no further. In fact... Buy two!
https://avilthr.com/product/a2-flight-jacket-seal-brown-bronco/

Last edited:

Brettafett

One Too Many
Size-wise...
I usually wear a size 40 ELC, GW, AERO etc.... sometimes a 42 fits better depending on contract... and a size 42 original WW2 A-2, depending on the contract.
I ordered a 40 and a 42, to compare fit. The AVI Bronco size 42 fits me better than the 40... Just like I'd expect an original would. Interesting. So, I would recommend going up a size, but check with AVI…

For ref, I am 5’10+, 158+- pounds, athletic build.
Measurements – Size 40
Pit to Pit, across the chest: 21.5"
Shoulder to shoulder, across the back: 17.5"
Sleeve from shoulder, including Cuffs: 26"
Back length from base of collar, including Knit: 25.5"
Zipper length: 22.5"

Measurements – Size 42
Pit to Pit, across the chest: 22"
Shoulder to shoulder, across the back: 18.25"
Sleeve from shoulder, including Cuffs: 26.5"
Back length from base of collar, including Knit: 26.5"
Zipper length: 22.75"

From AVI's website
AVI LTHR Bronco - SIZECHART1.png

daw

Familiar Face
Yes, thanks for all the detailed info and pics. Very nice. I've decided even their largest G1 will be too small for me, but thinking the 48 in the A2 might be ok.

Technonut

Practically Family
Excellent review, and great pics showing the jacket. Thanks! :) Definitely an 'A' for effort, and from what I see, quite a nice alternative to upper-tier offerings, while still retaining a decent degree of authenticity. Actually loads of period-style detailing, and a good-looking pattern for a fair price. ;)

Knowing me, I'll more than likely end-up with one.... :p

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
You've convinced me. Now all we need to consider is how robust the materials are. Will the knits hold their shape? How will the cotton lining wear? Only time will tell but so far, so good. Finally an affordable A2 that captures the era.

Brettafett

One Too Many
You've convinced me. Now all we need to consider is how robust the materials are. Will the knits hold their shape? How will the cotton lining wear? Only time will tell but so far, so good. Finally an affordable A2 that captures the era.
Thanks all. The knits are very strong and I recon will hold shape, the lining is certainly as solid as any other jacket I've owned... the shape... likely get better in that it'll mould to ones person over time... the leather... as long as you don't go all Indiana Jones...

Gamma68

One Too Many
As others have said, thanks @Brettafett for the lengthy review.

I have an AVILTHR capeskin A-1 that I'm pretty happy with, so I'm glad to see they've produced such a nice A-2. It's making me rethink my level of contentment with my early 1990s Cooper A-2.

The one thing that gives me pause is your quote below. I'm used to the weight of a nice goatskin jacket, so I'm not sure if it seems thinner to you because you're used to horsehide. The AVILTHR almost sound like capeskin, the way you describe it.

Goatskin ought to be able to take some tough wear. If the AVILTHR A-2 isn't a tough goatskin, then I'd personally avoid this jacket.

This jacket is so comfortable as A-2s go, easy to wear and move around in, right out of the box. The goatskin is light and supple, with lots of grain and character. That said, the goatskin feels a touch thinner than what I am used too, certainly thinner and more pliable than my horsehide jackets. Seems strong enough, but I wouldn’t role around in the gravel with it.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Great review and a great jacket!

Makes me consider getting one and I’m a devout G-1
Man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
A great detailed write up. I did notice that your example has a repro military label but the one on the website has a the modern makers label.
Still great to have a reasonably accurate repro at a price suitable for everyday wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko