Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B-3 Leather Name Tag

O'DubhGhaill

Familiar Face
nameplate.jpg

Greetings All. My first post I believe, but I've been lurking awhile. I recently purchased an Eastman Leather Roughwear B-3 from a fellow who bought it new from History Preservation, but kept it in his closet for a year without wearing in outside - lives down South US and thought he was moving to colder climes, which didn't happen. Anyway, I am considering a name tag as in the upper left photo, but would like to find a source that is as historically accurate as possible. My search continues, but thanks for any assistance in advance.

mr_lits

A-List Customer
I don't want to tell you how to live but I can not strongly enough discourage you from applying patches to your $1000 leather jacket. If and when you deicide to resell it you have just dinged the value of the jacket as the buyer obviously does not have your name and will not want the patch. If the buyer wants to remove the tag they will be left with empty stitch holes, not an appealing thing for a high end leather jacket either. So i would suggest just leaving your new B3 unmolested and enjoying it. That being said there are several patch workers around who do a great job at replicating the name strips and also make quality patches, if you decide to go that route.

O'DubhGhaill

Familiar Face
Thanks for your comment mr_lits (indeed, I paid $1100 shipped!). Nonetheless, I know this jacket will be staying in my family and eventually go to my son in about 15 years - I've never sold a clothing item I've owned in my life. I am looking for "patch workers" who would do the most authentic job and then I will decide if this is something I want to do. I would have to find a trustworthy seamster local as well. Probably not, but right now it's a serious thought.

CBI

One Too Many
if you do want a nematic, MASH Japan makes the most authentic ones but they are expensive for a little strip of leather!!!! Sean Collins (a2jacketpatches) here and on eBay makes some nice ones as well. The leather thickness is a bit thiner than MASH. Agreed though, unless you are 100000% set on a name tag, skip it as it kills the value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot