Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B-3 or ANJ-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
To my eye, the Aero ANJ-4 looks closer to the one in the pic over the ECL one.

ANJ4 ELC WH.jpg

ANJ4 (2).jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Those are fantastic photos, Archbury, cheers! Amazing variety of jackets. I'm so sold on an ANJ. I think we're over again later next month, so I may have no choice...

HPA Rep

Vendor
While anyone is entitled to an opinion, all you can see in the photo are the sleeves and part of the collar and yet you managed to draw this conclusion??? Amazing eyes! Yet you missed the fact it's not an AN-J-4!!!

To my eye, the Aero collar looks to have collar fleece (and likely body fleece) too thick (the spec. is half inch) and too smooth and perfect to be vintage. Add the smooth finish of the exterior sheepskin into the mix, and it appears very new vs. NOS. That's my opinion, but what do I know about military jackets ...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Couldn't care less what you think, Charles, but I also don't care for your tone. Also, it's rare to see a brand new jacket in all it's glory now, so I would say it's moot as to the thickness of the shearling, no matter what you say.

Last edited:

HPA Rep

Vendor
Sloan, you mentioned wanting to see some ANJ-4's 'in the field'...... here are a couple

Beautiful photos! Thank you for sharing!!!

The first image is interesting for depicting an early AN-J-4 that has been modified with the leather triangular-shaped tab for clipping the ox. mask, as well as the two post-1941 D-1s with corresponding B-1 trousers.

The second image really shows the diversity of kit: two AN-J-4's, one B-3 jacket, one A-2, two B-10's (the far right top is almost surely a Superior Togs), 2nd-model F-2 electric suit in officer-grade wool (though the airman may not be an officer), a baseball cap, HBT cap, officer and EM garrison caps, and A-4 flying suits depot modified with zippers on the pockets. It's also noteworthy that the B-3 and one AN-J-4 must be too long in the sleeve length and the airmen have rolled back the cuffs, while the airman on far right top has an A-2 that seems too short in the sleeves for his tall build.

Wonderful stuff!

HPA Rep

Vendor
Here's a pic of Lieutenant Commander William Denton of Cruiser Scouting Squadron (VCS) 7. Normally assigned to fly biplane SOC Seagull seaplanes, VCS-7 pilots trained in British Spitfires and Seafires and flew spotting missions over Normandy. He's wearing an ANJ-4, I believe.

LCDR Denton is wearing a USN M-445/M-445A., which the AN-J-4 was derived from, thus similarities aren't coincidental.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Couldn't care less what you think, Charles, but I also don't care for your tone. Also, it's rare to see a brand new jacket in all it's glory now, so I would say it's moot as to the thickness of the shearling, no matter what you say.

I'm calling you on your opinion based on an observation I found impossible to make and correlate, which I stand behind.

There's nothing debatable about the original specs. or the extant, vintage jackets in NOS condition. People with an agenda who find themselves in an indefensible position typically respond to the truth with dismissive language and ad hominem attacks. Quite transparent.

My tone? I'm sure you get it. You're a writer, so you must be familiar with irony and why it's used. I know, I'm so restrained 99.9% of the time, but this one was too obvious to resist - an easy kill. Reciprocity.

HPA Rep

Vendor
I would refer my learned friend to the case of TFL vs Bill Kelso when it comes to commenting on other makers products. ;)

Thanks for that - I think. :eusa_doh:

There's a huge difference between me and BK:

I manufacturer nothing and sell the goods of various brands.

There was a transparent attack driven by an obvious agenda that I have every right to defend and expose as a member and even as an affiliate.

As a member and an affiliate, I am entitled to my opinions here no different than anyone else, and in this instance, I am able to substantiate my opinions, thus the historical record speaks in support of my opinions, unlike the opinion presented by the poster.

BK made ongoing and prolific offensive moves, whereas this was a first, though it may not be the last, and it was as stated already, defensive in nature.

Hey, but have a swell weekend! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana