Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B-3 or ANJ-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

A-List Customer
That photo of David Lean (Lean by name, Lean by nature) is one of my favorites and definitely one of the reasons I had to have an Irvin.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
But now I'm really seeing the appeal of the ANJ-4.
The B-3 seal with russet facings looks really good with a pair of jeans, but I can't wear it with khaki slacks- it's too casual, too rough a character jacket.
But I think that the all seal ANJ-4 would look really nice with khaki slacks. And a Sqn patch. And maybe a numbered AF patch on the sleeve.

Edward

Bartender
Edward, why would you want a tweed jacket with an Irvin?

Standard office wear for me most of thed year. Collar, tie, trews, tweed jacket. Sometimes waistcoat. In Winter, if I'm going to wear one of the sheepskins, I normally end up wearing a shawl-collar cardigan instead of a jacket.

But here's a pic of Sir David Lean wearing an Irvin, and every time I see it, I think 'Yes, that's why I need an Irvin; shirt and tie, pair of tweed or blue serge pants, some Oxfords, that'd be stylish'.

It's a sharp look. I like it with a waistcoat as well, for the pockets.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Standard office wear for me most of thed year. Collar, tie, trews, tweed jacket. Sometimes waistcoat. In Winter, if I'm going to wear one of the sheepskins, I normally end up wearing a shawl-collar cardigan instead of a jacket.

It's a sharp look. I like it with a waistcoat as well, for the pockets.

It is very sharp. He still looks like a gentleman. But maybe that's how class perceptions have become ingrained in the culture?
B-3 = yank chewing gum.
irvin = RAF gentleman?

Stand By

One Too Many
... I wouldn't entrust a wallet to it, but it is powerfully handy to be able to tuck a pair of gloves into it when you step into a shop or anywhere, really, where you don't have anywhere else to slip your gloves. ....

I know what you mean, Edward.
I was out with friends the other winter and pulled out my old wallet from the pouch pocket when the bill came - and a peal of laughter erupted at the table - at the sight of my big old wallet. Apparently it was just like George Constanza's from Seinfeld - bulging with cards and recepits. I later You Tubed it - and was guilty as charged.
So I promptly retired it after I went searching online and found just what I wanted - something to tuck into that pocket securely.
I bought one from Rogue Wallets: http://www.rogue-industries.com/
They're ergonomically shaped to fit into a front pant pocket without bulging or being uncomfortable - and they fit the B-3 pocket perfectly too.
And just as good - they're Made In USA (though not all are - so check). They can also have a funky foil lining so the cards inside can't be "skimmed" or read by tech that's designed to read your card's details.

Wallet1.JPG Wallet2.JPG Wallet3.JPG Wallet4.JPG [

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I know what you mean, Edward.
I was out with friends the other winter and pulled out my old wallet from the pouch pocket when the bill came - and a peal of laughter erupted at the table - at the sight of my big old wallet. Apparently it was just like George Constanza's from Seinfeld - bulging with cards and recepits. I later You Tubed it - and was guilty as charged.
So I promptly retired it after I went searching online and found just what I wanted - something to tuck into that pocket securely.
I bought one from Rogue Wallets: http://www.rogue-industries.com/
They're ergonomically shaped to fit into a front pant pocket without bulging or being uncomfortable - and they fit the B-3 pocket perfectly too.
And just as good - they're Made In USA (though not all are - so check). They can also have a funky foil lining so the cards inside can't be "skimmed" or read by tech that's designed to read your card's details.

View attachment 31681 View attachment 31682 View attachment 31683 View attachment 31684 [

Their products look great with RFID protection. I particurly like their Ambassador Passport Case for travel.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Here's a pic of Lieutenant Commander William Denton of Cruiser Scouting Squadron (VCS) 7. Normally assigned to fly biplane SOC Seagull seaplanes, VCS-7 pilots trained in British Spitfires and Seafires and flew spotting missions over Normandy. He's wearing an ANJ-4, I believe.

11417743_10155662606310174_2570165972630334550_n.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I'm now thinking of going for the full Arctic B-7 shearling!

I'd love one of those myself. Caveat: go for one with the brown-finished surface. I am sure I read somewhere (though damned if I can find it online) that originals were all in the unfinished white, but I can't imagine that being exactly easy to keep clean / presentable...

Nice alternative (probably as warm, but physically lighter) to the likesof a shearling Barnstormer, while still being long enough to cover a blazer...

Edward

Bartender
Yes, surprisingly short and tight for a shearling, though it looks great. I would have thought most of us would want a bit more room for a sweater, wearing it as Winter clothing at ground level, butg that really does look cool. It's the sort of fit I've long toyed with the idea of in a B6, for that point in the year when a sweater and bigger shearling would be too much, but it's just nippy enough in the evenings....

the loco

One of the Regulars
The ANJ-4 looks classier, IMO. Authentic B-3's are a bit strange with the map pocket on one side only. And the sleeves cuffs are better designed in the ANJ-4, also in the Irvin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points