Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B-3 or ANJ-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tefouane

A-List Customer
Hi Tefouane, yes I am. I thought the sleeves might be too short but I think they're okay. I'll try and post some pics. It seems to have sparked my interest in military jackets again and now have an M422a on order!
Cool. I'm hurry to see your pics. It's an amazing jacket. Probably my next choice but...........in few years !!!!

Tefouane

A-List Customer
uploadfromtaptalk1435343024707.jpg
It rocks !

Stand By

One Too Many
I've had my ELC RW B-3 since 2006 or so and have loved it … But if anything ever happened to it (God forbid), I'd go for an ANJ-4 next time.
To me, they look a little less WW2 - perhaps because they were a much more limited run and so never made it in to the public consciousness of "flying jackets". They were the culmination of so much R&D and it's apparent in their design and no expense was spared in their production - and it showed.
I tried the Aero ANJ-4 on one time - the one with the buttons - and considered it could be a mite draughty when the winds got going … and I tried on a full-length ELC ANJ-4 at RAF Duxford last year - and I loved the darn thing! It was all I could do not to get the credit card out right there and then … but I'm glad to have my B-3 and my Irvin and I just couldn't justify an ANJ-4 as well. Well, that's reality - so let's just leave the fantasy alone, eh?! :)

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been warned off by so many people that they are too warm for our climate....I just love them.

I've been tempted myself, they just look so warm and such a "cool" style but curse the beautiful climate here that doesn't require us to wear something this warm lol

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I've been tempted myself, they just look so warm and such a "cool" style but curse the beautiful climate here that doesn't require us to wear something this warm lol

I think that's true of Sydney, Canberra on the hand....I've been up since 5am and it's minus a couple of degrees. I'm convinced I would get a few wears each winter....I travel and move around so much for work though. Spent last winter North of Mackay in QLD, 25c every day in the middle of winter....

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Aero have nailed that pattern. I have owned Anj4's from LW RMNZ ELC, this is the most comfortable of them all. I often have to go up a size so I can lift my arms above my head but no problem with mine.

Hi john, have you ever seen an ANJ-4 done in the lighter d-1 or B-6 shearling? I think if I could get a lighter weight one it might be a lot more practical.

John Lever

One Too Many
I used to own an m445 (identical to the two button version) made with 10 mm fleece. It was too big at a 46 but was a cooler jacket. Obviously a change in materials affects the pattern sizing.

Stand By

One Too Many
Over the weekend, I was musing about my previous comment - and thinking that, to anyone out there in the wings who's reading this and perhaps they're in the enviable position of choosing their first sheepskin flying jacket jacket for themselves, I was thinking that my comments wouldn't necessarily have helped them choose one over the other - and that is the question being posed. Hmmm.

So I thought I'd add that, if I knew then (2005) what I know now, - and then all I really wanted was an upgraded Irvin and A2 to replace my then-Irvin and A2, both by Aviation Leathercraft (I truly felt that two jackets were sufficient in those days - one for cold weather, one for milder weather. I know!! Two! What was I thinking?! Ha!Ha!Ha!) - and if I did have my time again and with the benefit of hindsight, today I'd opt for an Aero ANJ-3 and an ANJ-4.

Now, today I have my ELC Irvin and ELC RW B-3 (and a ELC RW B-6).
Would I therefore trade in or sell them both to get one ANJ-4? No. I love my jackets! And I like having two - to change my look a little over the brutally long winters here.
So would I trade in one to get my ANJ-4? No. Which one would I let go? (It's like Sophie's Choice!). The B-3? But it's iconic and I feel so good in it - I always have. It's worn in and moulded to me and fits me perfectly and I love the colours and look of it.
So the Irvin then? No - because I love switching from the British jacket look to the US - and that'd leave me with two US jackets as well as the US ANJ-3! (which I'd have again over the ELC A2 I got).
So I'm gladly keeping what I have.

But if I had my time again back in 2005 I would choose the ANJ-4 … And I'd have another really nice vintage N3-B for when it gets really, really cold. The ANJ-4 is great, but still, when it comes to warmth and practicality, the N3-B even beats the ANJ-4 IMO. They may not have the looks or desire factor, but when it's -35C, I tend to care less about such things!

Ack, while it's nice to find another smart guy/gal that notices and appreciates gear, if I'm in -35 and wearing a warm jacket, I'm all happy enough for myself and I know I look good too. :)

But honestly, I wish I lived somewhere that I could use a B-3 or Irvin. As it stands, a B-6 or D-1 would be decent for me. And I love redskin sheepies. Keep searching, it's part of the fun. What would I have done back "then" isn't the point for me. I like to look back and even the misses were still fun in some way...

So, what's it going to be Craig???

Stand By

One Too Many
Ack, while it's nice to find another smart guy/gal that notices and appreciates gear, if I'm in -35 and wearing a warm jacket, I'm all happy enough for myself and I know I look good too. :)

But honestly, I wish I lived somewhere that I could use a B-3 or Irvin. As it stands, a B-6 or D-1 would be decent for me. And I love redskin sheepies. Keep searching, it's part of the fun. What would I have done back "then" isn't the point for me. I like to look back and even the misses were still fun in some way…

I agree. I think "Look good, feel better" can be extended to wearing decent gear and I love that … but when it's -35C on a bitterly cold day, even an ANJ-4 will feel …. well, short. To my mind, that's the only trouble with these things. They were designed for their utility in cockpits, so a slightly longer jacket like an N3-B edges them out for my money. I had hoped that, on those wickedly cold days, I could wear my lighter B-6 under my slightly roomy vintage N3-B (with just a shirt or something), but no. Turns out I can't. It's the collar on the B-6, you see, and it's all just too bulky and it feels wrong. Ah well. Life goes on … :)

Ah, good point! A long coat would be way better for real cold/wind/snow, etc. I've almost forgotten that fun feeling when your waist goes numb :)

tonypaj

Practically Family
I agree. I think "Look good, feel better" can be extended to wearing decent gear and I love that … but when it's -35C on a bitterly cold day, even an ANJ-4 will feel …. well, short. To my mind, that's the only trouble with these things. They were designed for their utility in cockpits, so a slightly longer jacket like an N3-B edges them out for my money. I had hoped that, on those wickedly cold days, I could wear my lighter B-6 under my slightly roomy vintage N3-B (with just a shirt or something), but no. Turns out I can't. It's the collar on the B-6, you see, and it's all just too bulky and it feels wrong. Ah well. Life goes on … :)

I agree with you, 100%. N3-B is for seriously cold stuff. Way better for today's use than flying gear, given the hood and the waist band. But again, having grown up in cold, like the -35 C, I prefer an even longer coat. And layering. Then again. in -35 C my thinking was that is just the attitude, I can handle this. A full length coat helped :)

Stand By

One Too Many
And the nice thing about a nice vintage N3-B is that they're vintage - and they stand out in that way like the sheepskin jackets, but in their own way. I mean, up here in Winter, everyone wears Canada Goose jackets - or cheap made-in-China knock-off copies, but they're all the same style and colours. So wearing a nice vintage N3-B in that nice light sage green nylon (or better still, a blue one! I wish …) makes me feel different to all the modern people around me … and we all love our B-3's/ANJ-4's/Irvins and B-6's etc. for the same reason!

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up

But honestly, I wish I lived somewhere that I could use a B-3 or Irvin. As it stands, a B-6 or D-1 would be decent for me. And I love redskin sheepies. Keep searching, it's part of the fun. What would I have done back "then" isn't the point for me. I like to look back and even the misses were still fun in some way...

I'm pretty much sold on the ANJ-4, though I'll hang fire until the late summer, by which point I'll hopefully made it over to Gala and had a chance to try one on.
Does seem slightly perverse to discuss sheepskin jackets and -35C chills just as we're about to swelter under 35C temperatures over here.
I really love my N3, though, when the weather hits 'unbearable' - snow, sleet, rain - it comes completely into its own!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I've concluded from my analysis here that Britain or perhaps somewhere in Europe is probably the place to move to for the most versatile jacket ensemble. California doesn't cut it. I'd happily trade some sunshine to be able to wear a sheepskin jacket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21