Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B-36 Bombers Visit England

In many respects the B-36 with its 15-20 man crew was the "last WWII bomber" as it was originally developed during the war and designed to hit targets in Europe from bases in the US in the event that Britain was overrun by Germany even though, in actuality, it didn't see service until after the war.

[video=youtube;q3AG-JsjoyA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3AG-JsjoyA&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
My dad was at one of the bases in Great Britain where they sent one of the prototype B-29s. They wanted the Germans to photograph it in order to think they were deploying squadrons there instead of the Pacific. He said he thought there would never be a bigger airplane that the 29! Always loved the B-36, just wish one would have flown over my house, well, at least low enough so I could see!

In the late '40s my Dad worked in construction in Alaska where they were building radar installations and he said that B-36s operating out of Eielson AFB were a common sight.

Dan Rodemsky

One of the Regulars
My old flight instructor used to fly them. He told of one of the engines, possibly the right inboard, losing the prop. He said it was a fairly common occurrence with no pattern. Different planes, different props but always the same engine. Mechanics could walk upright inside the wing, or so he said.

My dad was at one of the bases in Great Britain where they sent one of the prototype B-29s. They wanted the Germans to photograph it in order to think they were deploying squadrons there instead of the Pacific. He said he thought there would never be a bigger airplane that the 29! Always loved the B-36, just wish one would have flown over my house, well, at least low enough so I could see!

The RAF briefly operated B-29s (on loan from the US) between 1950 and 1954 as an interim bomber until the English Electric Canberra could become operational. In RAF service they were known as Washingtons.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24