Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B-Beautiful in a B-10..! (The ultimate American Beauty cloth flight wear)

Mad Max

New in Town
Yes I am also very curious on the sizing difference between: The Real Mccoy's B-10 - Eastman B-10 - Buzz Rickson B-10??

I have recently aquired a Buzz Rickson B-10 and although the jacket is a seriously amazing piece with first rate craftsmanship and quality materials it does unfortunately ride up just a little too short for practical daily use.. But only by about 1"/2cm.. So close but yet so far!!!

I've heard Real McCoy's is slightly longer in cut & Amazing quality, whereas Eastman provide various bespoke length options along with the standard Short, Regular & Long but their quality is not as good as BR or RM??

Does anyone know who makes the longest cut without compromising too much on authenticity and quality??

I've read mixed reviews. Cheaper jackets have their place - I for one feel better having beaters for things like reenacting. I've read of them, never seen one. Other items I've got from them have been pretty decent for the money.

archbury918

One of the Regulars
I have seen a couple of ATF's B-10s that were purchased last spring. Outwardly, the jackets look good for color and material. The fit for the sized tag was pretty accurate too.
The downside on them was the material they use to replicate the original alpaca. One of the guys described it as the same longish fuzz they use on NFL team fleece jackets. It was a weird brightish green too.
For those that don't want the AAF roundel, you're stuck with it.
If you can get past the goofy looking interior, it's not a bad jacket. Especially if you plan to knock around in the field or garage with it. Makes it a better value than risking a BR

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
I sold this beautiful Buzz Rickson B-10 last year because it was too short for my 6'2" long armed frame.

001.jpg

002.jpg

Mad Max

New in Town
Can anyone advise on the length issue though.. Who makes the longest, or should I say who makes the most practical fit for everyday wear which is still accurate but not too short in the torso - Buzz, McCoy or Eastman??

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
Max, I don't know which out of Buzz, McCoy or Eastman are longest as they're all too short for me. That Superior B-10 was at least one inch short in the arms and body for me. Eastman don't offer a longer cut on their B-10 do they? I'm sure I've read that here before. If they did and it could be worth asking anyhow that would be the answer.

I bought a Pike Bros B-10 that is a long cut standard and had some of the less correct details changed. It now makes a nice knock about jacket that fits perfect and looks good. Not a patch on my girlfriends Eastman B-10 when you see them right next to each other but still works well for me. A good fit is everything!

Mad Max

New in Town
Thanks Mr.Delux... I actually just recently acquired a Buzz Rickson B-10 size 38" which really is an AMAZING jacket and as far as the purists are concerned would be a perfect historic fit on the body (Sits just below the belt), but for me it just feels a tad too short so I'm looking to sell it on and will be approaching Eastman for sure & possibly look into a Real McCoy's as they too look very nice!

So reluctantly I will be selling my brand new with tags Buzz Rickson B-10 size 38".. if anyone's interested let me know otherwise I'll post on Ebay.

normanf

One of the Regulars
I've come to realize my Columbia Sportswear pleather bomber with faux sheepskin lining is styled after the B-10.

The popularity of this jacket has given rise to many descendants that have followed it.

P11514398.jpg

JollyGreenSlugg

New in Town
The popularity of this jacket has given rise to many descendants that have followed it.

Heh, they even make them in kid's sizes. I found this one and painted it up for my foster-daughter. She sits with me when I do jacket painting, and she wanted one of her own. For a girl with medical high-needs, she's happy and loves to help! The jacket is fleece-lined and looks a lot like the one in normanf's post, but without the fleecy collar.

AB1.jpg

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited:

normanf

One of the Regulars
Nice jacket! They came with a zippered patch pocket on the left sleeve. Posters can correct me if I'm wrong but the sleeves in the cloth B-10 was unlined with the shearling lining.

Mad Max

New in Town
I will be selling my brand new (with tags) never been worn Buzz Rickson B-10 size 38" - If anyone's interested let me know.

schmmmitty

New in Town
howdy!
i'd bought that Pike Brother's B-10 jacket a couple of years ago.
the bad things about it are...
the cuffs! they're absolute crap! loose nylon around a fat rubberband
for an extra 20 bucks, i'm having them replaced now...
and the pocket inside the front left should definitely be higher up...
its on the tummy when i'm sure it should be up about chest-height

i just ordered the ATF B-10 so i hope this one goes swell... i really wanted two of 'em anyways...
my boggle is: my chest is 40 inches. but if i wear layers under that, will i need the large? or am i safe with the medium?

and i ordered the 1st pattern HBT Trousers as well...
people happy with those, yes?

i mostly wear my Cabela's version of the G-1

Flash

Familiar Face
Schmmmitty, could you write here how are you satisfied with the ATF B-10? How the sizing is precise? I am looking for a B-10 for hobby flying, repairs in hangar atc. So this cheap alternative looks good. I suppose my jacket will be clean to first oil replacing only:)

schmmmitty

New in Town
Schmmmitty, could you write here how are you satisfied with the ATF B-10? How the sizing is precise? I am looking for a B-10 for hobby flying, repairs in hangar atc. So this cheap alternative looks good. I suppose my jacket will be clean to first oil replacing only:)

howdy Flash! the jacket (and 1st pattern trou) are still on their way to Berlin... i had 'em sent to my parents first to avoid the Zollamt (cu[nt]stoms)...

soon as they get here, I'll take a couple of shots...

as for the new cuffs on the (itchy liner) Pike Brothers' jacket, they're brown (matching to collar) and the fella did a great job! love it!
i'm not a purist. i'm practical. i just like what i like.

RainLikeGravel

New in Town
Hi all. I'm currently selling my brand new Buzz Rickson's B-10 Rough Wear in size 40 on the bay (imported from Rakuten Shop in Japan). It's too trim for me, I need a 42. Matter of taste, but compared to Pike, Aero and ELC I like the Buzz best, because of the darker shaded knits and neater shaped and colored collar. The quality and warmth of this jacket is quite stunning. Only the Conmatic zipper is a bit stubborn. http://www.ebay.de/itm/121006059332?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Cheers, Thomas.

schmmmitty

New in Town
howdy! can this link be accessed with my pics?

https://picasaweb.google.com/105099328393367205296/G1B101stPatternTrou

its not cold enough for the ATF B-10! but it will be... oh, it will be! i love the jacket! its a big, warm fuzzy bear inside! :D

there's also pics from the G-1, the Pike Bros. B-10 and the 1st Pattern trousers from ATF...

i'm excited to get the trousers fixed! the material is incredible! i'm a happy camper...

Last edited:

schmmmitty

New in Town
Hi all. I'm currently selling my brand new Buzz Rickson's B-10 Rough Wear in size 40 on the bay (imported from Rakuten Shop in Japan). It's too trim for me, I need a 42. Matter of taste, but compared to Pike, Aero and ELC I like the Buzz best, because of the darker shaded knits and neater shaped and colored collar. The quality and warmth of this jacket is quite stunning. Only the Conmatic zipper is a bit stubborn. http://www.ebay.de/itm/121006059332?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Cheers, Thomas.

neiß... B)

schmmmitty

New in Town

as for sizing, i'm 173cm and 75kg. chest is about 102cm. so i ordered the L (42-44) and it fits perfect, for my taste. especially since it is a light but bulky jacket.

i really gotta figure out a way to take better pictures tho! :D all my cameras suck ass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo