Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B3 jacket rebuild.

John Warr

Familiar Face
About a year back I rescued a very battered B3 jacket from it's job as a pet bed. Frankly, we didn't know what to do with it as it was in such poor condition but being "in the trade" we thought we would see what we COULD do if we put our minds to it. And also to give our trainee something to play with. Now what do we do with it ? It feels like part of the firm :)

B3front%20thm.jpg

There is more information (and in case the picture failed to upload... which it hasn't) here...
http://www.bysonleather.co.uk/B3%20project.htm

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Thats fantastic! can you tell me what you used to 'laquer the jacket with please or is that a trade secret. I have an Eastman, that has the finish rubbing off and I would like to do something about it.
Ok you did great there, reckon you could have rescued this? My vote for the worlds worst Irvin.

2004_0712_144735AA.jpg

I have told the story of this jacket(the one in the picture) a couple of times in the Original Irvin thread so wont go into the 'lager' story again but I do have another dog bed Irvin story to pass on.

Some years back a friend who knew I had a thing about old jackets and air force history passed this story on.
His father was in the RAF during the war as was his brother. Now his brother was attached to 617 RAF squadron, The Dambusters. He was an aircraft mechanic working on various aeroplanes and when hostilities ceased he was given an old irving that was left in a crew room for his dog to sleep on.
Well that old dog died years back but successive dogs, mainly labradors and retrievers loved this old thing to kip on and when the last dog grew old and died the old boy said no more dogs as he was too old to look after them anymore. Oh yes, the jacket! It went in the back of a dust cart.
I have to say I did wonder where that old coat had been, possibly the Dams, the Tirpitz?
John

John Warr

Familiar Face
Thats fantastic! can you tell me what you used to 'laquer the jacket with please or is that a trade secret. I have an Eastman, that has the finish rubbing off and I would like to do something about it.
Ok you did great there, reckon you could have rescued this? My vote for the worlds worst Irvin.

Its a bit of a trade secret I'm afraid :) Also its not something I would use on an Irvin - or anything else - except as a last resort.

As for the Irvin in the picture... Well, yes, we could. Probably. It is the sort of thing one has to see & feel to tell. Without doing that, I can estimate that it would be er.. somewhat expensive. But if you could document THAT one to 617 it would probably be (financially) worth it. :)

Last edited:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
this thread deserves a Bump*

Excellent Excellent work, Pat yourself on the back for a phenominal Resto Job! wow! Bravo!

If only these Jackets could talk!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy