Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Backpacks - need some ideas...

Graemsay

Practically Family
Yuketen sell a zipped canvas backpack in a variety of colours. Field tan is probably the easiest to live with.

yuketen_7487_triangle_back_pack_waxed_field_tan.jpg

But I rather like the orange. :cool:

yuketen_7487_triangle_back_pack_waxed_orange_2.jpg

Hypebeast have a picture of it in use.

yuketen-triangle-backpack-orange-waxed-cotton-001-620x413.jpg

End Clothing sell them in the UK, but they're expensive. The size is similar to the Seil Marschall pack, above. It's a bit taller, but slightly narrower.

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
I have this in green for everyday: http://duluthpack.com/outdoor- gear...s/daypacks-backpacks/sparky-bag-backpack.html

And this in waxed cotton for weekend travel: http://duluthpack.com/luggage/luggage-bags/duffels-bags/sportsmans-duffels.html

My wife had the guys at Frost River make one of these for her in all leather: http://www.frostriver.com/briefcases/single.html

I'll try to take some pics.

We took a trip to Duluth last summer. Which I highly recommend, BTW. Duluth is pretty cool, they've got Duluth Pack, Frost River and Aerostich (motorcycle gear.) Plus you can rent kayaks or canoes.

I think classic waxed cotton can't be beat with a leather jacket. All leather everything is overkill, IMO.

I like the first Duluth pack, but what's with the limited color selection? No periwinkle. That is a deal breaker for me!

Graemsay

Practically Family
I forgot that I had both a leather jacket and backpack in my wardrobe.

LeatherOnLeather.jpg

I'd agree with the comments that going for the double leather look is a bit too much.

The jacket's too big for me these days. It always was a bit large, but I've lost some weight recently, and now it really drowns me. (Anyone want a size 52 Aero Cossack? :D)

If anyone's curious, the pack came from a shop on one of the canals between the centre of Amsterdam and the Jordaan called something like Country Store. I can't recommend it, as the straps split whilst on a trip to Beijing, and I've been meaning to get it repaired for a few years now.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Back in the 1980s it seemed like everyone except me had a World Famous green canvas rucksack, similar to the one in the photo below. Recently a friend of mine said he wish he still had one - does anyone know of a source for one of these? Green canvas, tan leather straps, rivets, rucksack style, etc.

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Looks really good. Its bigger then I thought.
Do you find it cumbersome to strap and unstrap the straps often? This is something Im thinking about, the way I will use it will make me have to open and close it often and a zip would be better but the straps looks great.

No, it's not cumbersome, because there is some kind of quick opening mechanism - like this:

http://www.google.at/imgres?q=seil+...54&ved=1t:429,r:47,s:0,i:168&biw=1920&bih=941

Regards,

Johannes

deuxcv

New in Town
I got tasked by a friend who always gives me grief for my latest jacket acquisition, but as I suspected, he secretly loves them. He asked me to find him a "cool backpack" this week. When I queried him as to what that meant, or what guidelines to use, I got nothing to work with. So fellow TFL'ers, anyone have some clues to high end, "cool" packs? He is a pilot and is a few years younger than me, so that's about all I got. Looking for something utilitarian, but also with a "wow" factor. Cost is not really a concern.Thanks in advance for your wisdom and help.SB

www.themadly.com

Mark

Practically Family
I love packs as much as i do jackets. I'v owned most quality makes in my time and for me there is only one choice...Frost River, they are awsome, totally cool looking and beautiful to boot as well as being bullet proof.

I love packs as much as i do jackets. I'v owned most quality makes in my time and for me there is only one choice...Frost River, they are awsome, totally cool looking and beautiful to boot as well as being bullet proof.
Mark, any pics of your pack(s)?

Mark

Practically Family
Mark, any pics of your pack(s)?
Sorry ButteMT61 i'm unable to do pics at the moment. I have two of their packs; Woodsman pack for w/end and hols and a great day pack they call their Book pack. They are both eceptionally well made in an understated waxed green canvas with leather trim/straps and brass hardware. Very functional and non fussy, both have an interior pocket, the Book pack a zipped one. They look great with my Aero Highwayman.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many

Those look spot on for me!

Its a little hard to see some pictures tho, some are only showing the backside.
Wich ones do you have?
Im after one that are not too clean, but also not too clutetred.
Not too small and not too big.

I want to be able to grab it just for a lunch in the outside but enough room to be away all day with the kid.

Would love some pictures of you wearing one.

Yeah, for me, those look great. Don't know why they skimp on pics - most of them look the same due to one view only.
But the price is right as is the look. Thanks.

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
I got tasked by a friend who always gives me grief for my latest jacket acquisition, but as I suspected, he secretly loves them. He asked me to find him a "cool backpack" this week. When I queried him as to what that meant, or what guidelines to use, I got nothing to work with. So fellow TFL'ers, anyone have some clues to high end, "cool" packs? He is a pilot and is a few years younger than me, so that's about all I got. Looking for something utilitarian, but also with a "wow" factor. Cost is not really a concern.Thanks in advance for your wisdom and help.SB

Butte: Do you know if he intends on actually using it for backpacking or for travel? This makes a huge difference.

Butte: Do you know if he intends on actually using it for backpacking or for travel? This makes a huge difference.
He's a dipstick. All e efforts and he doesn't even reply to my questions so I don't know or care, but this thread is great and it's helped me as I too need a new pack. I'm not likely to spend over $200 for one, but there's been lots of great posts here with many in that range and under. I appreciate all the info folks have posted here. It's not without value!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points