Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Backward Conversions

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Anyone every try to convert a 'new' hat back to vintage standards? Here's a 2009 fedora that fits me absolutely perfectly, and the dimensions fit my face size, etc., perfectly, but....the quality is so abysmal that I wear it self-consciously, even though it's really the only hat I get compliments on. The ribbon was sewn on with plastic thread and was creeping up within a week, the bow was falling apart within a few months and the felt quality was horrible - very rough and the edge of the brim warping. I was about to stick it on ebay, but dreaded seeing my $150 original cost turn to about $15.

So I decided to 'convert' it - on the full-size stretcher, watered down the crown and rubbed out the factory teardrop crease, then sanded, starting with 400, finishing with 800, sanding the hell out of the brim edge in particular. After it dries, I will sew on the 1940's Knox Twenty ribbon/bow shown in the pics (it came with a thin dark brown ribbon). Any guesses as to which modern hat this is? Hint: it's been a very controversial topic. Cheating is allowed - free beer to the winner, but you have to collect in Seattle.

Has anyone else tried to 'Convert' a modern hat back to vintage quality and style? I know, it's not worth it financially, but if you already have the hat...

ConvertSideWetjpg.jpg

ConvertFrontWet.jpg

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ScottF said:
Anyone every try to convert a 'new' hat back to vintage standards? ...
Has anyone else tried to 'Convert' a modern hat back to vintage quality and style? I know, it's not worth it financially, but if you already have the hat...

ConvertSideWetjpg.jpg

ConvertFrontWet.jpg

No, I have not. But you show allot of sand to try! Looking forward to the final product! Further, I haven't a clue as to what this might be... a Stetson Temple, maybe? How 'bout a hint?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Rick Blaine said:

No, I have not. But you show allot of sand to try! Looking forward to the final product! Further, I haven't a clue as to what this might be... a Stetson Temple, maybe? How 'bout a hint?

Smokin' hot :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats