Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bad experience with Aero Leathers.

robrinay

One Too Many
Great quote Fonzie
In words of Winston Churchill:
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life”.

I liked this quote so I did a bit of research and apparently Churchill either extracted the saying from a Victor Hugo essay or perhaps never said it. I suspect the former is true. The full version from Victor Hugo is,

You have enemies? Why, it is the story of every man who has done a great deed or created a new idea. It is the cloud which thunders around everything that shines. Fame must have enemies, as light must have gnats. Do not bother yourself about it; disdain. Keep your mind serene as you keep your life clear.

Seank

A-List Customer
image.png
image.png
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I can't seem to start a new one and need some advice.
I recently ordered two Aero's through Carrie at TB. I tried on fit jackets, saw leather samples and decided on a brown fqhh Sheene and a black cafe racer.
Well the Sheene was delivered and this fit is ok, but the leather is really, really dark. It doesn't look like what I was expecting.
First pic is what I was expecting color wise, second pic is me wearing the jacket I was sent.
Do I have ligitimate beef? I emailed Carrie and am awaiting her response, but not happy at all the way this jacket turned out. After seeing all the gorgeous pics of brown fqhh, I was expecting something... Well, different.
Any advice??
I pic up my black fqhh cafe racer tomorrow. Hoping for better results.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Each batch of Horween CLX is a bit different colorwise. Some lighter, some darker, some more reddish, some less so. So, that's one thing. And then, the color of FQHH is very hard to properly capture on pictures. I could take 10 pictures of my brown fqhh jacket and the leathers color would look different on each of them.

View attachment 104931 View attachment 104932 Sorry to hijack this thread, but I can't seem to start a new one and need some advice.
I recently ordered two Aero's through Carrie at TB. I tried on fit jackets, saw leather samples and decided on a brown fqhh Sheene and a black cafe racer.
Well the Sheene was delivered and this fit is ok, but the leather is really, really dark. It doesn't look like what I was expecting.
First pic is what I was expecting color wise, second pic is me wearing the jacket I was sent.
Do I have ligitimate beef? I emailed Carrie and am awaiting her response, but not happy at all the way this jacket turned out. After seeing all the gorgeous pics of brown fqhh, I was expecting something... Well, different.
Any advice??

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Each batch of Horween CLX is a bit different colorwise. Some lighter, some darker, some more reddish, some less so. So, that's one thing. And then, the color of FQHH is very hard to properly capture on pictures. I could take 10 pictures of my brown fqhh jacket and the leathers color would look different on each of them.

But isn't it standard practice to send to the customer a batch of the leather that will be used to make the jacket? That helps avoid exactly this kind of situation.

View attachment 104931 View attachment 104932 Sorry to hijack this thread, but I can't seem to start a new one and need some advice.
Any advice??
The fit looks ansolutely perfect. As far as the hide color goes, I believe if you took the same photo outside, in full sun (like your screen grab) you'd see more similarity between the two. The two pic you loaded are in two vastly different light sources so it's impossible to make an apples to apples comparison.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
But isn't it standard practice to send to the customer a batch of the leather that will be used to make the jacket? That helps avoid exactly this kind of situation.

Atleast it is why I would always ask for a sample, I don't know whether it is standard practice and to be expected without asking for it, though.

I agree with Ton btw, @Seank You should take another picture out in the sun, as I said before, there's worlds in between how CLX looks in different light.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
I think some color variation between different batches are to be expected. Even exact thickness can’t be guaranteed when it comes to leather. There’s always going to be deviations. Your jacket used to be a living animals skin, so this is to be expected. In my opinion this is nothing to worry about.

As an example of inconsistency in leather, pictured is the back of a bag that I made. The lighter streaks that you can see are the cows stretch marks.

1bc38de8c94ccaf32373fd0b5785f672.jpg

With that said, I agree about the lighting thing that was also mentioned. Would be interesting to see a picture in full sun light.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I think some color variation between different batches are to be expected. Even exact thickness can’t be guaranteed when it comes to leather. There’s always going to be deviations. Your jacket used to be a living animals skin, so this is to be expected. In my opinion this is nothing to worry about.

As an example of inconsistency in leather, pictured is the back of a bag that I made. The lighter streaks that you can see are the cows stretch marks.

1bc38de8c94ccaf32373fd0b5785f672.jpg

With that said, I agree about the lighting thing that was also mentioned. Would be interesting to see a picture in full sun light.

I want a jacket mad of that natural cow! Nice!

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
I want a jacket mad of that natural cow! Nice!

I know, me too! There’s actually a black café racer under Aero’s blue label that have similar stretch marks that I’ve been really tempted by. Looks so cool!

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
On topic again:

Besides, this is brown CXL we’re talking about. It won’t stay that color if you continue to wear it. These are the sleeves of my 30’s half belt in brown CXL FQHH that I’ve been wearing almost daily in the last year.

2cd1c6f5579d804e5db9b80e6862d7a7.jpg

Well..Guess I'm at odds with some here. I just think it is a darker shade than the first jacket photo. Of course that can happen working with differing hide batches. Photographing out in the sun can sometimes make a different look in coloring..but in this case the leather just looks too dark chocolate brown to make that much of a difference..to me. Perhaps I will be proved wrong. BTW..are you happy with the sleeve length..??
HD

Last edited:

Seank

A-List Customer
Well..Guess I'm at adds with some here. I just think it is a darker shade than the first jacket photo. Of course that can happen working with differing hide batches. Photographing out in the sun can sometimes make a different look in coloring..but in this case the leather just looks too dark chocolate brown to make that much of a difference..to me. Perhaps I will be proved wrong. BTW..are you happy with the sleeve length..??
HD
The sleeves are a slight bit longer than I was anticipating, but not to bad. I have a hard to fit body type, I am short (about 5'8") but where a size 42, so I had to have them shortened. Where they are now is a slight bit long but when I extend my arms out (like motorcycle position) they fall right at my wrist so I think they'll be ok. The black cafe racer I am picking up today has the same measurements but the sleeves are 1/4" shorter...so hopefully it'll be right on the money.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks everyone I appreciate the responses. I will try and take a pic in full sunlight and post back later to get another comparison before getting all up in arms about this.
Seank,
From the photo you posted the jacket color looks much more like the seal or dark seal Vincenza than the brown CXL I am familiar with. I too would love to see some outside photos to see if the leathe looks different with natural light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21