Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bad Ju Ju associated with vintage jewelry?

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Who believes this? Stories?

I am getting married next month and my husband will be wearing my grandfather's wedding band (He got married in 1935 and was married for 55 years until he died).

My fiance says the ring has good ju ju because they were married for so long. He also refused to even hold an old ring that an ex gave me. I think it is a bit ridiculous, honestly... but I was curious to learn what others out there have to share about history following a piece of antique jewelry.

Any good stories?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I have some jewelry from my sister's estate. She was a troubled person (putting it mildly) and yes, the stuff has a bad vibe. I don't wear it.

My best friend, who makes jewelry, suggests putting it in soil or water for awhile.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I helped a friend out many years ago after a bitter divorce.

Her gold wedding ring had such bad vibes that she gave it to me so I could give it to charity. I could barely hold it and treated it like a hot potato. [huh]

I work with a lot of vintage jewelry in my volunteer position (I price the antiques for a charity shop), and every now and than, something crosses my path. I will usually put it aside and hand it to another volunteer, asking what they think of the piece. To date, every piece I've handed off for a second opinion has had the recipient respond with an emotional response.

A few times we got rid of the pieces because "the vibes" were really bad and we wanted the item out of the shop ASAP.

Vintage Betty

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Betty, if the piece is gold, you might simply sell it to a pawn broker. They probably don't care--they'll just melt it down.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Paisley said:
Vintage Betty, if the piece is gold, you might simply sell it to a pawn broker. They probably don't care--they'll just melt it down.

Good advice! I price the costume stuff usually, occasionally silver. I leave the precious stuff to others.

Vintage Betty

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Paisley said:

That's what my mother did with her wedding ring -- she didn't even want it in the house. Straight to the pawnshop, where she found out it wasn't even real gold.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Paisley said:
I have some jewelry from my sister's estate. She was a troubled person (putting it mildly) and yes, the stuff has a bad vibe. I don't wear it.

My best friend, who makes jewelry, suggests putting it in soil or water for awhile.

What is the significance of putting it in soil or water?

Shearer

Practically Family
desi_de_lu_lu said:

Many cultures believe(d) that gemstones and metals absorb and store energy, be it good or bad. Since metals and gemstones come from the earth, many believe that they can be put back in either soil or water to balance out the energy, or draw bad energy away.

If you want to cleanse jewelry, bury it in the ground for at least a night, longer if you personally feel it's needed.

You can also set the jewelry or gemstones out in moonlight or sunlight, again for as long as you see fit.

Gemstones can be cleansed with salt water or holy water.

You can find other ways to cleanse with a little research, but these are the easiest.

Smuterella

One Too Many
desi_de_lu_lu said:

burying jewellery is said to be cleansing, if I recall correctly you should bury it and leave it overnight.

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Yep I completely agree with this idea in fact one of the rings that I have thats been passed down in my family has some very interesting "vibes" to it. Funny thing is no one can even tell me what the metal is that its made out of, silver in color, never tarnishes, doesn't scratch, a weird thing is it always stays cool to the touch even if I've been wearing it all day. Kinda cool looking has a enameled top almost like a crest.

Oh I also have a sword that my friends refuse to be in the same room as (and these are people that love swords). It gives them the willies.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Shearer said:
Many cultures believe(d) that gemstones and metals absorb and store energy, be it good or bad. Since metals and gemstones come from the earth, many believe that they can be put back in either soil or water to balance out the energy, or draw bad energy away.

If you want to cleanse jewelry, bury it in the ground for at least a night, longer if you personally feel it's needed.

You can also set the jewelry or gemstones out in moonlight or sunlight, again for as long as you see fit.

Gemstones can be cleansed with salt water or holy water.

You can find other ways to cleanse with a little research, but these are the easiest.

I hope no criminals know where I live or are reading this thread..LOL

goodbye bad jewelry....lol

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
rebelgtp said:
Yep I completely agree with this idea in fact one of the rings that I have thats been passed down in my family has some very interesting "vibes" to it. Funny thing is no one can even tell me what the metal is that its made out of, silver in color, never tarnishes, doesn't scratch, a weird thing is it always stays cool to the touch even if I've been wearing it all day. Kinda cool looking has a enameled top almost like a crest.

Oh I also have a sword that my friends refuse to be in the same room as (and these are people that love swords). It gives them the willies.

I love reading stories like this...I am so not superstitious at all. I am pretty oblivious I guess..

Shearer

Practically Family
desi_de_lu_lu said:
I hope no criminals know where I live or are reading this thread..LOL

goodbye bad jewelry....lol

lol Yeah, might just be a better idea to do a water cleansing. You can use rainwater, but it's just easier to add sea salt to spring water. I'm assuming normal people don't go out collecting rainwater :p

I wish I had a story to tell. I have some silent film star jewelry with an interesting provenance, but I don't get any vibes from it at all. (Unless you count how uneasy I feel wearing it because it's uninsured!)

zaika

One Too Many
in lithuania i bought a dozen strands of unpolished/uncut amber as gifts ($1 each!!), and the woman i bought them from told me that if i was sick or depressed to wear the strand for a week, and then bury it under a full moon for i don't know how long.

interesting that you all have heard about doing that with jewelry...lithuania was the first i had ever heard of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80