Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bad Ju Ju associated with vintage jewelry?

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
LolitaHaze said:
I've had both the bad vibes and bad luck with rings. As a child my mother told me you shouldn't wear other people's rings (especialy without permision). She had this ring that I really liked and snuck it one day... I don't even think I had it on for a half hour before little things started happening... Stubbed my toe, vacuumed up something (don't remember now), those kind of things. Needless to say I took it off. :)

If clutsyness is a sign of bad ju ju.....then I must have bad ju ju all over my house.

lol

Josephine

One Too Many
Foofoogal said:
BTW: anyone doing this yet? Selling their silver and gold jewelry? :eek:fftopic:

My mom gave my brother a family ring that I had no interest in, and to be fair about it she is giving me some gold baht chains to sell for my sekrit vacation. How would I go about selling them to get the best exchange? Somehow I don't think the pawn shop would be the right place. heh.

59Lark

Practically Family
bad vibes jewerly how about a jackknife.

I just read these letters and it reminds me of a jackknife that was given to me over 30 years ago and i didnt feel right carrying it and put it away. Later i was told of my uncle who owned the knife and how he died. He worked for a town roadworks department and it was april fools day 1939 and they played a april fools joke on him with a dump truck and instead of the dump box coming only part way down and scaring him it came all the way down and killed him and when they told his wife she miscarriged and lost the baby. So that jacknife in his pocket ended up with me thirty years later and i dont carry it. Call it bad karma or bad vibes or just my mind playing me silly. I once bought a engagement ring and wedding ring from a woman who caught her husband cheating and sold them cheap but even then i had them remelted and made into a new ring with more diamonds.. I guess research would be a good thing with old jewerly if your nervous minded. lark 59

jayem

A-List Customer
This calls for a good story...

I once went to an antique shop a few months ago. I go to this shop all the time, and love the selection they have. Anyways, I was browsing through the ring draws, and saw this mourning ring. The band was made out of the same shade hair that I naturally have, and the name, inscribed in gold on a frontal band said my name, 'Julie'. Not to mention, it fitted me absolutely perfectly (6.5). I had to buy it, morbid I know, but I had to. That night I had the strangest dream that two people were talking over the phone. I couldn't see them, I could just hear the conversation. It was a man and a woman. The woman asked the man to pick her up at an address. I can't remember what the address was exactly now, but when I typed it in on Google, it came up as West Lawn Cemetery. Creepy. The ring is now neatly tucked away in my jewelery box.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
swingtimegal said:
b3732bf6.jpg

It could possibly be platinum; my wedding ring (modern) and my engagment ring (vintage) are both made from plantinum, and after wearing them for almost 5 years, have never scratched or tarnished. A big clue is that plantinum is HEAVY, so if your ring is much weightier than a gold ring of similar size, that might the metal.

I second the platinum theory, looks like it to me. I have two platinum rings of my own, though they are not exactly unscratched. Not like actual scratches, but they came to me brightly polished and flawless, and after 5 years of daily wear they are now not mirror bright, they are much dulled. I had a bad fall last year too, and they both have some very small dents, so platinum is not indestructible.

epr25

Practically Family
I thought that I was the only person that had this feeling. My paternal grandmother passed her wedding rings and another engagement ring to me. Her husband was killed during WWII. Leaving her with my father who was quite young and no way really to support herself at the time. She later went to business school and had a good job. But my grand father was a coal miner which apparently made him exempt from being drafted but felt that it was his duty so he enlisted. I guess this decision affected her reaction to his death. She became bitter and wasn't very nice to my father. She was involved with another man who gave her the engagement ring I also had. I am not sure what happened to that relationship but they never married and he was gone by the time I was around. It's unfortunate she didn't have a very happy life. I always felt that those rings carried an air about them. I always thought that it came from the turbulence she experienced with her life and love.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Slightly off topic, but in the same vein, I'm wearing a co-worker's shoes today. (I wear a 70-year-old jacket and two-year-old shoes, and which one breaks?) Despite the 3-inch stiletto heels, I feel like running frenetically around the office, just like she does.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Never experienced the ju ju till my mother gave me an inheritance ring. It was a ring bought for a great aunt by a future great uncle who went off to WW1. They never got the chance to exchange it as he was killed. The ring stayed in the family with a letter explaining the circumstances. My mother gave it to me as inheritance as I said. Couldn't wear it, it didn't feel right. Eventually gave it back to my mother under some small, tiny pretence. I think I wasn't the right "line" for it, it wasn't meant for me in any way. It has just passed to my future sister-in-law, and while I haven't said anything to her, or anybody come to that, she's wearing it fine. Odd.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Caledonia said:
Never experienced the ju ju till my mother gave me an inheritance ring. .

I thought 50% of everything in Scotland was haunted in some way, shape or form? shhhhhhhh

Caledonia

Practically Family
Where are you getting that stat from!!! 80% and counting, I kid you not. Our chicken coup is haunted, but I think we have another thread somewhere on hauntings, so best get back to jewellery ju ju...:D

scarlett

One of the Regulars
Well my wedding ring is from the late 1800's, I spotted it from across the floor of a large jewelry store in downtown L.A., the seller didn't think much of it and we got it for a good price. I felt it was meant for me the moment I put it on. It had been worn for a very long time by the previous owner and I had to have it repaired, the band wore down to nothing on the inside. I've rarely taken it off in the 19 years I've had it and I always feel it gives my marriage some type of magical "luck".
I also have some inherited rings that I don't wear, they don't feel right.

Decodence

A-List Customer
swingtimegal said:
b3732bf6.jpg

It could possibly be platinum; my wedding ring (modern) and my engagment ring (vintage) are both made from plantinum, and after wearing them for almost 5 years, have never scratched or tarnished. A big clue is that plantinum is HEAVY, so if your ring is much weightier than a gold ring of similar size, that might the metal.

And to join in the thread, my engagement ring is a vintage piece that's always given me good vibes. We bought it off of Ebay (at a shocking good price--there were practically no other bidders), and the minute I saw it, I knew THAT was supposed to my ring. And the diamond has a huge flaw in it, which I personally love :D
My platinum wedding band looks like a piece of lead. Platinum scratches HORRIBLY. Much worse than white gold. Platinum also develops a patina over the years, and darkens. My wife's engagement ring is platinum from the 30-40s. Her modern platinum wedding and anniversary rings are much brighter than the old platinum. Platinum is always indicated as such inside the rings too. It is always 95% or greater pure.

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Yeah that is one of the things that is kinda odd is that bloody ring has no markings in it what so ever. I also find that it is a bit of an attention getter when I wear it. Granted I can understand that I've never seen another ring quite like it. In fact I think I like this ring better than my black star sapphire that is cut on the back side of the stone so when it catches the light it looks like a snakes eye (along with the star).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart