Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bad Ju Ju associated with vintage jewelry?

Shearer

Practically Family
zaika said:
in lithuania i bought a dozen strands of unpolished/uncut amber as gifts ($1 each!!), and the woman i bought them from told me that if i was sick or depressed to wear the strand for a week, and then bury it under a full moon for i don't know how long.

interesting that you all have heard about doing that with jewelry...lithuania was the first i had ever heard of it.

I've heard that amber is good for keeping the body in stasis energy-wise, but especially health-wise, so that makes sense.

Plus, it's beautiful!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rebelgtp said:
Yep I completely agree with this idea in fact one of the rings that I have thats been passed down in my family has some very interesting "vibes" to it. Funny thing is no one can even tell me what the metal is that its made out of, silver in color, never tarnishes, doesn't scratch, a weird thing is it always stays cool to the touch even if I've been wearing it all day. Kinda cool looking has a enameled top almost like a crest.

Have you considered it might be white gold?

rebelgtp said:
Oh I also have a sword that my friends refuse to be in the same room as (and these are people that love swords). It gives them the willies.

You might want to see if there is any rust on the sword - it could be a sign of blood. It's been proven that some people with heightened smell can "smell" things such as dried blood which are pretty much invisible to the naked eye.

zaika

One Too Many
Shearer said:
I've heard that amber is good for keeping the body in stasis energy-wise, but especially health-wise, so that makes sense.

Plus, it's beautiful!

Well!! I'll be wearing my amber more often, now! I like the unpolished look, anyway. :)

Shearer

Practically Family
Smuterella said:
the thing with salt water is that it can damage stones...

Yes, I should have pointed that out... especially watch out for soft stones or crystals. That's why it's better to do it with rainwater. If I were cleansing with salt water I doubt I'd give the jewelry more than a short bath with appropriate prayer, and then rinse it off with spring water.

Anyway, always do your homework and research what you're doing/using :)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I've had both the bad vibes and bad luck with rings. As a child my mother told me you shouldn't wear other people's rings (especialy without permision). She had this ring that I really liked and snuck it one day... I don't even think I had it on for a half hour before little things started happening... Stubbed my toe, vacuumed up something (don't remember now), those kind of things. Needless to say I took it off. :)

Then I bought a ring off of ebay. Just a cheap little thing. As soon as I opened it I got an il feeling and to this day I can't wear it. (I didn't even try it on) there was just something about it. Shame too as it was pretty. I don't even know where it is now, but I just got bad ju ju's from it. :(

Lastly there is my wedding ring. No bad or icky vibes, but even though it is gorgeous to me and DOESN'T look like a wedding ring, I can't wear it. Not even on another finger. After 5 years now, I put it on the other day to see if I could wear it as an accessory and did all day, but no go. I took it off. Arg on that one as I love it and it doesn't look like a wedding ring. :mad:

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Vintage Betty said:
Have you considered it might be white gold?

You might want to see if there is any rust on the sword - it could be a sign of blood. It's been proven that some people with heightened smell can "smell" things such as dried blood which are pretty much invisible to the naked eye.

I've thought about the whole white gold thing except every other piece of jewelery I have had even yellow and white gold has "dulled" over the years, this ring never does (I've never had to polish it once I like that). It also has a very interesting shape to it, I like it quite a bit. Funny thing is its been passed down in the family and fits me perfectly.

As for the sword its never spilled any blood and I know that for a fact because it was actually made for me by a sword smith I had known for years. It was actually the last sword he made, he couldn't physically make them anymore. Oh and actually they say they get an even more creeped out feeling if I actually take hold of the sword, even just touching it a little. Kinda weird.

here are a couple pics of that ring I was talking about they aren't the best (taken with my old digital camera). But gives you the basic idea. There is just something about the shape of it that is always interested people that have looked at it, including a few of my friends that make jewelery.

b3732bf6.jpg

57bae3fe.jpg

879121a2.jpg

JazzBaby

Practically Family
What about jewellery that gives off good vibes? Anyone have a particular piece they wear when they're feeling a bit blue? I have a silver Claddagh ring I got as a gift for my First Holy Communion. It doesn't fit anymore (even on my pinkie) but just wearing it around my neck on a chain makes me feel calmer and happy. [huh]

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
JazzBaby said:
What about jewellery that gives off good vibes? Anyone have a particular piece they wear when they're feeling a bit blue? I have a silver Claddagh ring I got as a gift for my First Holy Communion. It doesn't fit anymore (even on my pinkie) but just wearing it around my neck on a chain makes me feel calmer and happy. [huh]

The ring I was talking about and pictured above does kind of have a calming effect on me when I wear it.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
rebelgtp said:
The ring I was talking about and pictured above does kind of have a calming effect on me when I wear it.

It's very pretty too. The designs on the right look almost Celtic. Do you know the origin or any information on it?

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Nope don't know any history about it, I know it goes back as far as my Grandpa, more than likely further back then that but he had died long before I got this and my Dad doesn't like to talk about things so much.

I got this along with a gold band of my Grandpas that was I'm told is a Freemason's ring, its just a plain gold band with a triangle and something that looks like "~" in it. It also has a Latin (I think Latin) phrase inscribed inside.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I have never gotten that "bad ju-ju" feeling from a ring. I've never even heard the term "ju-ju" before.

I do, however, believe that certain items carry a wearer's energy around with them. I kind of feel that way about used shoes too.

When I was studying in Paris in college, I met a very charming and handsome Portuguese lad who I dated for several months, until his return to his country. Upon departing, he gave me the ring that he wore every day - silver, and quite large, in the shape of a hand. I proudly wore it every day with the remembrance of the words spoken when he gave it to me - "so you can always feel your hand in mine". I did too, whenever I wore that ring. Along with carrying with it the hope that I would see him again, it made me feel warm and safe. It had his presence and energy engrained in it. Obviously, some of that feeling was an emotional association, but there was an energy in it that I felt long after the heartache of that painful goodbye had subsided.

And then, in my youthful ignorance, I gave it to another lad that I dated later on. It is a mistake I regret to this day.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I totally believe in that (my heritage) some things give off bad vibes. Funny this subject was brought up on another site (surplusfirearms). I once owned a Nazi armband as a kid and got rid of it a week later. Everytime I went into my room my first thought was where it was. I kept it in my bottom drawer and it just creeped me out. I don't collect any Axis Militaria unless it's a repro.
My Brother-in-law in Holland offered me an SS death heads ring. It was totally legit item it had paperwork to back it up. I took a look at the picture he sent and thought about buying it to re-sell but decided against it. It just gave me the creeps.

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
b3732bf6.jpg

It could possibly be platinum; my wedding ring (modern) and my engagment ring (vintage) are both made from plantinum, and after wearing them for almost 5 years, have never scratched or tarnished. A big clue is that plantinum is HEAVY, so if your ring is much weightier than a gold ring of similar size, that might the metal.

And to join in the thread, my engagement ring is a vintage piece that's always given me good vibes. We bought it off of Ebay (at a shocking good price--there were practically no other bidders), and the minute I saw it, I knew THAT was supposed to my ring. And the diamond has a huge flaw in it, which I personally love :D

Avalon

A-List Customer
I've found a good way to rid stones, jewelry, etc. of negative energy is through "smudging" - passing it through the smoke of burning sage or lavender. You can find out more about smudging here. It's effective and there's no chance of damaging the piece.

Shearer, I want to hear about your silent film jewelry! *drools* lol

Foofoogal

Banned
Hey, I have an idea. Send all of your "bad" jewelry to me. I will take it off your hands for free. Especially the .999 silver and the gold that is selling like hotcakes right now for about $1200.00 an ounce. I do have some jewelry I will not part with as my dad made it.

BTW: anyone doing this yet? Selling their silver and gold jewelry? I hear they are even having parties like tupperware and women are getting together to see what they have. :eek:fftopic:

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I talked to a pawn broker on the bus a few months ago. He said a lot of people are selling their gold jewelry to make their mortgage payments. He also said he melts much of it down.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anything I have that was inherited has never given me a moment of strange feeling [huh] it takes something as big an complex as a car to have a personality good or bad for me:) Christine?:eusa_doh:

Story

I'll Lock Up
desi_de_lu_lu said:
Any good stories?

Some tales are best left untold.

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to bind them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

KittyT said:
I have never gotten that "bad ju-ju" feeling from a ring. I've never even heard the term "ju-ju" before. .

It's a technical term. ;)
The word "juju" is commonly credited to West African tribes, namely the Yoruba of Western Nigeria. The other common source is the Bantu languages. This has been disputed by many experts, other theories range from the Hausa language to French joujou. Despite much debate linguists still disagree.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juju

Foofoogal said:
Hey, I have an idea. Send all of your "bad" jewelry to me.:
:eek:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/4991/f13home.htm

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I think inheritance is one thing because you have a good idea of it's origin and family history. Buying something without knowing it's history is another I think. That is unless your Grandma Mable was an Axe murderer. It is just probably me though. I had a friend in Jr High whose parents owned an Antique store here in GG. After school we go to his antique filled house and hang out. His house gave me the creeps ! He had this one piece of furniture that had animal faces carved in it. I swear that thing was looking back at me ! I'm just a paranoid Island boy I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart