Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbeque

2The9s

New in Town
Hello folks, I'm new to this forum and couldn't resist the thread. I cook competition BBQ here in Texas. It sure has caught on the past few years. I live in the San Antonio area and we cook in and around the Houston area about 20 events a year. BBQ can get to be quite a discussion. I'm on about 10 BBQ boards. Are there any other cookers out there? Texas Brisket is where it's at! :)

Staredge

One of the Regulars
Might I recommend the following books:

1580086608.jpg

love.jpg

and

Grill_cover_160.gif

and at some point, I'll be buying one of these

wsm_lg.jpg

jkingrph

Practically Family
I like it all. Here in E Texas brisket and sausage are about the only things you find. My wife is from Ga and they use a vinegar/mustard sauce with just enough tomatoe to give it a thin red color. There the meat of choice is of course pork and everytime we go there I cannot get enough.

There is a small local chain in N Louisiana called Podnahs that used to put out some good barbecue, brisket and chicken, but the best thing they served was beans. They took all the brisket trimmins, chopped them fine and added to the beans. A lot of folks there would cook their own meats but go to Podnahs for the beans to accompany the meal.

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Atticus Finch said:
Hi Folks,

I have started at least six replies to this thread, and I've abandoned them all. Try as I may, I simply can't do justice to the topic within the confines of a single post. Maybe not even within the confines of a single book. For me, writing generally about barbeque is much like responding to the question, "Religion---what do you think?"

Barbeque is deeply rooted in Eastern North Carolina culture. Many historians agree that white Europeans first tasted pit-cooked pig here almost two centuries before our county was even founded. And we've been cooking "Q" pretty much non-stop ever since. I'm thinkin' that four-hundred years and millions of pit-cooked pigs later, we've about got the proper recipe down-pat.

And that recipe dang sure doesn't include choped up tomatoes or tomato ketchup.

In nineteen-seventy nine, National Geographic Magazine conducted a study to determine the location of best barbeque in America. Mr. Pete Jones' Skylight Inn, in Adyen, was proclaimed the clear winner. And Ol' Pete (God rest his soul) served only hard-core, vinegar-and-pepper, Eastern North Carolina style barbeque. Let me tell you folks, National Geographic was right. Pete's is the best in the nation. http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail_pages/skylight_large.html

I'm not saying that other regions don't serve up good barbeque. They do. I've tried most of them and I've yet to find a real barbeque house that I didn't like at least a little bit. Heck, once, when I was in Memphis, I ate some beef burnt ends that nearly made me forget about North Carolina pig. And Texas briscuit, done well, is mighty darned fittin'. But there's only one true barbeque for me. Its the oldest and, for my taste, its still the best. And it can only be found within a two-hundred mile circle drawn around my humble, little Eastern N.C. hometown.

Here's some vintage photos of how we used to do it (and sometimes still do).

I drive between Pennsylvania and Myrtle Beach a couple of times a year, and have been meaning to try Wilber's. I took the Western route and hit Lexington #1 after Christmas. Being a South Carolinian, I was raised on mustard based. But then I lived for a while in the KC area, so make a pilgrimage to Arthur Bryant's whenever I'm back that way.

I do 4 or 5 Qs a year here in Pennsylvania. I consider it missionary work.

DSC_5490.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Well no one answered my question about this before, but here's some info in case any of you want to try it. Terracotta pots are a cheap and easy way to make a homemade smoker without spending a ton of dough on the real thing! They still let you slooooow cook your meat with lots of smoke and the result is mighty tasty.

http://www.kitchenproject.com/BBQ/FlowerPotSmoker/index.htm
http://www.twothirds.org/2005/09/26/smoking-pot-a-cheap-terracotta-flower-pot-smoker-ala-alton-brown/
http://tinker.pbwiki.com/TerraCottaSmoker

SmokinPots.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I agree with Atticus about BBQ being a religion. My tastes however are ecumenical.

Luckily we have a few reasonably good places here in NYC (Brother Jimmy's, for one) that do several styles - tho I'll admit a lot of the soul is lost in the steam cooking that's required to bring them all off in one kitchen. New Yorkers are also dead set against strong iced tea.

My favorites are NC vinegar and Texas beef. I am still kicking myself for not hopping a ride down to Lockhart last time I was in Austin.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I think I got to Rusty Staub's place maybe once while it was open. As I recall it was great.
Several years ago I was foolish enough to invite the intire extended clan over to our place in Brooklyn, for BBQ (or something vaguely resembling that). So I studied up on it and gave it a try. I was amazed to realize the difference between Barbequeing and simple grilling. To make a long story short, I had fun deciding on a basic sauce recipe, (don't even recall what I used any more, other than there was a lot of mustard). But what was really interesting to me was that basic fundamental aspect of all cooking, heat management. BBQ is done by convection. That is, when you close the lid on the cooker, the heat that builds up inside is what really cooks the meat. Convection heat puts immense amounts of heat into what's being cooked. That's how BBQ meats get so well done nad yet so juicy. The heat is high, but there's no where for the moisture to escape to, so it stays in. Am I correct? Point being, that I think a large degree of what makes barbequed meats delicious is how you manage the heat being applied to the food.
Anyhow, I spent the entire day in the back yard cooking. Everyone enjoyed the results. I only did chicken and burgers, so I guess it didn't really qualify as BBQ, but the results were well received. And I could easily imagine myself becoming totally obsessed with making the perfect barbeque.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
This thread is so interresting! I knew Americans loves their BBQ, but I had no idea the tradition is that long, great and not to mention mouth-watering tempting!

I have no back yard, and that's to bad, because my local butcher has been advertising suckling kids, (is that the right english word? I mean wee tiny baby goats,) and I would love to try that on the BBQ!

dnjan

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
That's how BBQ meats get so well done nad yet so juicy. The heat is high, but there's no where for the moisture to escape to, so it stays in. Am I correct? Point being, that I think a large degree of what makes barbequed meats delicious is how you manage the heat being applied to the food.
I think I'll disagree on the heat being high part. The heat is actually rather low compared to other types of cooking. That is why it takes so long.

Last time I barbecued a pork loin it was about four hours in the barbecue. The temperature inside the barbecue was below boiling, as the pan of water I had in there did not evaporate completely.

But the meat was tender and moist.

Jovan

Suspended
KittyT said:
Well no one answered my question about this before, but here's some info in case any of you want to try it. Terracotta pots are a cheap and easy way to make a homemade smoker without spending a ton of dough on the real thing! They still let you slooooow cook your meat with lots of smoke and the result is mighty tasty.

http://www.kitchenproject.com/BBQ/FlowerPotSmoker/index.htm
http://www.twothirds.org/2005/09/26/smoking-pot-a-cheap-terracotta-flower-pot-smoker-ala-alton-brown/
http://tinker.pbwiki.com/TerraCottaSmoker

SmokinPots.jpg
:eusa_clap

Thanks, I'm going to remember that!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
dnjan said:
I think I'll disagree on the heat being high part. The heat is actually rather low compared to other types of cooking. That is why it takes so long.

Last time I barbecued a pork loin it was about four hours in the barbecue. The temperature inside the barbecue was below boiling, as the pan of water I had in there did not evaporate completely.

But the meat was tender and moist.
Hmmmm . . . . wrong again, again.

russa11

One of the Regulars
Here are a few pictures of the smoker I use. When I took this, I was smoking some chicken. I have also used this on Sausage, ribs, fish anything I can think of.

russa11

russa11

warbird

One Too Many
The optimal temp for BBQ'ing is about 250 degrees. What holds the heat in is a combination of fact that the meat is prepped with a rub before, let to sit on it for 24 hrs pulling out all the moisture and then smoking it with moisture. The smoke ring as we call it is what you must get, it locks that moisture in. That's why the pork is fully cooked and yet it is still pink. Yuuuuummmy!

And yes we are fanatical about our BBQ.. BBQ is low and slow, grilling is high and fast, searing. I love both and I love BBQ in all its various forms, but I certainly have my preferences. In the end though, I tend to think most people like best the style they grew up with.

The people who come to the Q late prolly pick a favorite because it reminds them of something from their culinary heritage. That's my opinion anyway.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Oh dear. I am a Barbeque pleb.

I hope my Southern friends will have pitty on me and help. I grew up with grilling, and barbeque was a take out affair from the Cave Man Kitchen in Kent.

I can do a decent Salmon - burn the fire down to coals, wrap a whole salmon in aluminum (if you're feeling posh throw in some dill and lemon slices) throw it on the coals for a couple of hours.

But I am awed by BBQ skills here. And very, very hungry.

Anybody know of good BBQ south of LA?

Just looked up CaveMan. This is what they say:

Smoking is an art that relies on the senses. Through our many years of experience, we have perfected the craft hailing our unique smoke roasting techniques with much acclaim.

As in days of old our wood smoking signature of authenticity is the smoke ring and reddish color within the pork, beef, chicken, ribs, turkey etc.

Allowing the flavor of the sweet hardwoods to permeate the meat a low constant blaze is maintained. A tender crust seals the meat allowing it to smoke roast within its own succulent juices. The aroma this process exudes is heaven to the senses!

From the Kent Valley in Washington State, Presidents to paupers have tasted our unique Native Northwest flavor.

Being family owned and operated since 1971, it has been our intent to offer the public the convenience of “Comfort Food” for more than an affordable price!
Our seasoned staff (that’s family and extended family) has catered events from five to five thousand and custom smoked everything imaginable. (You Choke ‘Em—We’ll Smoke ‘Em!)

It may be that I have a LOT of BBQ tasting to catch up on.

geckoheart

Familiar Face
Atticus Finch said:
And two of the Nation's best Q-Joints: Pete Jones' and Wilber's.

05-09-2820FR-Skylight20Inn202.jpg

wilbers_web.jpg

Atticus

Couple places I've eaten. Pete Jone's in Ayden, the simplest joint I have ever been in. Awsome BBQ! Then there's Wilbur's in my home town. I eat at Wilbur's to often.

I typically cook 2-4 whole hogs a year- nothing like making so many people happy with a little 100lb pig and a gallon of vinegar sauce.

MissMissy

One of the Regulars
I never really gave bbq much thought until I ate at Rudy's in San Antonio. Now I just can't go very long without a fix! We buy their rub and sauce to make our own at home as well. We now live near Fort Worth and go to the Rudy's in Denton. My family in MN loves this stuff just as much as we do and so I gave rub and sauce as stocking stuffers last Christmas!

My husband prefers the brisket and I like the "chopped" our children love the turkey but we all love the creamed corn (not mushy whatsoever). I also like that you can get soda in glass bottles. Here's the link

www.rudysbbq.com

Please excuse the sloppiness of my post, I broke my wrist a few days ago so I'm pecking at the keyboard with my left hand and thinking in a narcotic haze.:p

Missy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails