Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BARBISIO Brothers

This one came in this week. Some of you have mentioned that they'd like to see me in a western hat and it's true: I don't wear them. Closest I get is wearing an Open Road, which doesn't really count I believe. I own very few of them and I came close to another last year (but that Stetson Buckaroo never made it over here). Truth is that western hats don't really fit in where I live, unless you want to look like a total boob. Doesn't mean I can't be tempted though. So here is one I jumped on.
Barbisio Cow boy in the colour Lisbona (an attractive natural beaver/tan colour). Size 58 with the raw edge brim at 9cm and the crown creased at 11cm. Weighs in at 175 grams. The good news is that I can actually wear it, just like its sibling in black.

barbisio cowboy2_01.jpg

barbisio cowboy2_02.jpg

barbisio cowboy2_03.jpg

barbisio cowboy2_04.jpg

barbisio cowboy2_06.jpg

barbisio cowboy2_07.jpg

barbisio cowboy2_08.jpg

barbisio cowboy2_09.jpg

barbisio cowboy2_10.jpg

barbisio cowboy2_11.jpg

More in part II.

The hat came with a cord attached to it. I wonder if that was original to the hat.
The other Barbisio Cow boy did not have that, so I took it off (still have it of course).
barcow5_resize.jpeg

IMG_4186_resize.jpg

It came with a different crease as well. Sort of a hybrid between a Gus and a cattleman, neither of which I care for much. So I gave it the current telescope crease. It didn't need much persuading.
I'm guessing it's from the fifties, but I wonder who it was aimed at.

barcow3_resize.jpeg
barcow4_resize.jpeg
barcow1_resize.jpeg

The hat came with a cord attached to it. I wonder if that was original to the hat.
The other Barbisio Cow boy did not have that, so I took it off (still have it of course).
View attachment 422146
View attachment 422147

It came with a different crease as well. Sort of a hybrid between a Gus and a cattleman, neither of which I care for much. So I gave it the current telescope crease. It didn't need much persuading.
I'm guessing it's from the fifties, but I wonder who it was aimed at.

View attachment 422151 View attachment 422152 View attachment 422149
Finally, a hat to draw me to this thread. Just kidding, sort of. Really cool , Stefan. Killer liner. Not a "cord", but a stampede string.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Fourth and last purchase which concludes the acquisitions service for winter-spring 2022.
Arno Barbisio 9b.jpg
This too was bought for the color and also because I really like the Barbisio production.
Arno Barbisio 9.jpg
Barbisio size 60 or 7 1/2 in the USA in one color.
Barbisio Arno Etichetta interna.jpg The felt is soft and light, called as "Arno" the river that passes through Florence with a ribbon of the same color.
Arno Barbisio 7.jpg
From the shape and the lining it looks like a Barbisio of the late production of the house of Sagliano Micca.
Arno Barbisio interno totale.jpg
The measures of the "magic blue" are: the brims are 5 cm. the ribbon with a very nice bow is 4 high and the open crown is 13cm.
Arno Barbisio 5.jpg
This hat has a special appeal to me because it comes in a favorite color of mine.
Arno Barbisio 2.jpg
I hope to find something interesting during the summer months, but sparingly

Barbisio fedora in grey. Size 62 with a brim width of 6,5cm and a crown of 11,5cm at the front. A narrow and nicely done overwelt brim edge. No label other than its size label. Colour could be any number of Barbisio greys: Tanaro, Sesia, Ticino, Ginevra? All of these are pretty close in tone. Some taper to the crown. It has already been spoken for.

barbisio62_01.jpg

barbisio62_02.jpg

barbisio62_03.jpg

barbisio62_04.jpg

barbisio62_05.jpg

barbisio62_06.jpg

barbisio62_07.jpg

barbisio62_08.jpg

barbisio62_09.jpg

barbisio62_10.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
From time to time the Italian hat market reserves unexpected surprises, especially when there are finished hats that have never been put on the market. This has already happened to me with Borsalino and this time it is the turn of two Barbisio built by the Cappellificio Cervo
Barbisio mattone H 6.jpg
Each of the two has a paper label, difficult to photograph, which shows the production data and tells us that the two hats were produced on July 16, 2008
Barbisio mattone H 9.jpg
What denotes these two new purchases is the shape and color.
Barbisio mattone H 3.jpg
They are two small homburgs, very similar to the hunting hat that King George of England found to his taste in Bad Homburg, starting the production of an icon in the world of hat.
Barbisio mattone H 1.jpg
The dimensions are: curled brim at 5 cm, the ribbon that matches the color of the felt is 4 cm high, finished with a light fur, as well as the one that borders the brim. The lowest point of the crown is 10 cm. and the hat can be rounded or sharper, depending on your taste, the felt is super malleable.
Barbisio mattone H 7.jpg
This felt has the color of a "burnt brick", difficult to find in Italian production.
Barbisio mattone H interno.jpg
The lining bears no branding or shop names as well as the sweat band which only has a small branding Barbisio Qualità Extra
Barbisio mattone marchio.jpg
It is a 60 cm. or 7 1/2 US size and it is unworn.
Tomorrow its brother in green for our pleasure

One of the few great Barbisio hats that have gone through my hands. The felt is buttery soft and very thin. It’s the blow a crease in the crown type of felt. 5 3/4” open crown and 2 3/4” bound brim. Some light moth damage on the underside of the brim. The size is French Point/Punti 6 or 7 3/8 US.

View attachment 449915 View attachment 449916 View attachment 449917 View attachment 449918 View attachment 449919 View attachment 449920 View attachment 449921 View attachment 449922 View attachment 449923 View attachment 449924

Continued….
Very nice, Brent. Barbisio's answer to the Open Road?

From time to time the Italian hat market reserves unexpected surprises, especially when there are finished hats that have never been put on the market. This has already happened to me with Borsalino and this time it is the turn of two Barbisio built by the Cappellificio Cervo
Barbisio mattone H 6.jpg
Each of the two has a paper label, difficult to photograph, which shows the production data and tells us that the two hats were produced on July 16, 2008
Barbisio mattone H 9.jpg
What denotes these two new purchases is the shape and color.
Barbisio mattone H 3.jpg
They are two small homburgs, very similar to the hunting hat that King George of England found to his taste in Bad Homburg, starting the production of an icon in the world of hat.
Barbisio mattone H 1.jpg
The dimensions are: curled brim at 5 cm, the ribbon that matches the color of the felt is 4 cm high, finished with a light fur, as well as the one that borders the brim. The lowest point of the crown is 10 cm. and the hat can be rounded or sharper, depending on your taste, the felt is super malleable.
Barbisio mattone H 7.jpg
This felt has the color of a "burnt brick", difficult to find in Italian production.
Barbisio mattone H interno.jpg
The lining bears no branding or shop names as well as the sweat band which only has a small branding Barbisio Qualità Extra
Barbisio mattone marchio.jpg
It is a 60 cm. or 7 1/2 US size and it is unworn.
Tomorrow its brother in green for our pleasure
Very nice find, Daniele, and another example of Barbisio's huge diversity in hats.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Second of the two Barbisio "homburg" It is a 60 cm. or 7 1/2 US size and it is unworn as its yesterday brother.
Barbisio verde Hom 1.jpg
Also in this a paper label, shows the production data and tells us that the hat was produced on July 16, 2008
Barbisio verde Hom 6.jpg
The dimensions are: curled brim at 5 cm, the ribbon that matches the color of the felt is 4 cm high, finished with a light fur, as well as the one that borders the brim. The lowest point of the crown is 10 cm. and the hat can be rounded or sharper, depending on your taste, the felt is super malleable
Barbisio verde Hom 5.jpg
The Cervo hat factory has made these hats since it inherited (1981-2) the Barbisio brand keeping it alive until a few years ago, modeling hats in the tradition of the hat factory of Sagliano Micca. The felt is a pleasant green with the ribbon and trim almost matching the color felt.
Barbisio verde Hom 2.jpg
This too features an unprinted lining with brand name and shop name, so it was built but never released.
Barbisio verde Hom interno.jpg
Only the logo with a small suit stamp is present on the sweatband
Barbisio verde Hom marchio.jpg
With regret and a bit of nostalgia, I note that the Italian production up to about fifteen years ago was still of excellent quality.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I have slowed down a lot my presence on the Italian and European hat market, every now and then I find something that particularly interests me
Blu Barbisio 1a.jpg
I have a Barbisio hat of the same color with a very slight difference in the finish of the felt. I don't wear this much because it's a little too wide for my head size, so I thought I'd get this one
Blu Barbisio 5.jpg
Barbisio Sportex size 6 1/2 or 60 centimeters is equivalent to 7 1/2 in the USA.
Manufactured in the historic factory of Sagliano Micca before the early 1980s with the great skill and degree of finish that characterized Barbisio production.
Blu Barbisio etichetta carta.jpg
"Ratinè" is the finish of the felt and "Lido" the deep blue color of the same, the ribbon is in perfect match with the deep blue color.
The other day, presenting it worn, I had made a bad translation of the term "Ratiné" so this morning I contacted a very dear friend who is an expert in fabrics who gave me the precise indications on the finish.
Blu Barbisio 7.jpg
Ratiné French word is "Long-haired wool or fur fabric" In the textile industry, machine used for napping fabrics, essentially consisting of a metal notch and a movable table which with different movements (rectilinear, circular, oscillating) gives the fabric, which passes under pressure , the various ratinating effects.
Blu Barbisio 4.jpg
These are the measures of the Barbisio: the brims are 6.5 cm long, the open crown is 14.5cm and the ribbon is 4cm.
It came in great shape and made me happy
Blu Barbisio interno.jpg
I love blue hats :)

I have slowed down a lot my presence on the Italian and European hat market, every now and then I find something that particularly interests me
Blu Barbisio 1a.jpg
I have a Barbisio hat of the same color with a very slight difference in the finish of the felt. I don't wear this much because it's a little too wide for my head size, so I thought I'd get this one
Blu Barbisio 5.jpg
Barbisio Sportex size 6 1/2 or 60 centimeters is equivalent to 7 1/2 in the USA.
Manufactured in the historic factory of Sagliano Micca before the early 1980s with the great skill and degree of finish that characterized Barbisio production.
Blu Barbisio etichetta carta.jpg
"Ratinè" is the finish of the felt and "Lido" the deep blue color of the same, the ribbon is in perfect match with the deep blue color.
The other day, presenting it worn, I had made a bad translation of the term "Ratiné" so this morning I contacted a very dear friend who is an expert in fabrics who gave me the precise indications on the finish.
Blu Barbisio 7.jpg
Ratiné French word is "Long-haired wool or fur fabric" In the textile industry, machine used for napping fabrics, essentially consisting of a metal notch and a movable table which with different movements (rectilinear, circular, oscillating) gives the fabric, which passes under pressure , the various ratinating effects.
Blu Barbisio 4.jpg
These are the measures of the Barbisio: the brims are 6.5 cm long, the open crown is 14.5cm and the ribbon is 4cm.
It came in great shape and made me happy
Blu Barbisio interno.jpg
I love blue hats :)
They're easy to love. This one in particular looks just splendid. Great shape and colour and Barbisio at its finest.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
BB 2.jpg

Along with the D'Aubignac - Borsalino there were other hats available from the same vendor, including this Barbisio in blue which is a close brother of one already presented here a few weeks ago
BB Interno totale.jpg
Super Barbisio Extra Lusso size 59 or 7 3/8 in the US, without any paper label
BB3.jpg
The "Lido" color is the same, but the felt finish is slightly different, which is more "brilliant" with shining reflections
BBB.jpg
The felt is softer than the "Ratiné" as the finish of the previous Barbisio was called.
BBC.jpg
They are branded with two different names by Barbisio and the small differences are especially noticeable in the felt and in the proportions, the ribbon remains unchanged. I removed from the bow a terrible brooch with the Barbisio mark that could not be seen
BBE.jpg
These are the measurements of the Super Barbisio: the brims are 6 cm, the ribbon is 4 cm and the open crown is 14 cm. This is another blue hat to remember

View attachment 465257
Along with the D'Aubignac - Borsalino there were other hats available from the same vendor, including this Barbisio in blue which is a close brother of one already presented here a few weeks ago
View attachment 465258
Super Barbisio Extra Lusso size 59 or 7 3/8 in the US, without any paper label
View attachment 465259
The "Lido" color is the same, but the felt finish is slightly different, which is more "brilliant" with shining reflections
View attachment 465260
The felt is softer than the "Ratiné" as the finish of the previous Barbisio was called.
View attachment 465261
They are branded with two different names by Barbisio and the small differences are especially noticeable in the felt and in the proportions, the ribbon remains unchanged. I removed from the bow a terrible brooch with the Barbisio mark that could not be seen
View attachment 465262
These are the measurements of the Super Barbisio: the brims are 6 cm, the ribbon is 4 cm and the open crown is 14 cm. This is another blue hat to remember
Molto bello! Stellar hat, Daniele.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
For the series Oddities Made Hat: a Barbisio in sculpted felt
Verde rilievo Barbisio A.jpg

This strange felt hat and its trimming has a love story to tell. I was fascinated by its peculiarity and the seller told me her story
Verde rilievo Barbisio 9a.jpg
It belonged to the grandfather of the person who sold it to me and had been given to him by his father when he came to northern Italy to work. Ours, then a boy, came from Naples and the Barbisio served to cover him from the rain and mists
Verde rilievo Barbisio 6.jpg
He was forgotten on the train at the Naples station and a girl picked it up and brought him back to the young man. After some time they got married
Verde rilievo Barbisio interno.jpg
This is the story told to me of this Barbisio Classic size 59 cm. or 7/8 US
Verde rilievo Barbisio etichetta carta.jpg
The felt color is " Muschio - Moss" the finish is "Talpa Impermeabile - Waterproof Taupe"
Verde rilievo Barbisio 3a.jpg
These are the measurements: the brim is 4.8 cm, the fancy ribbon is 4 cm and the fully open crown is 14 cm.
Verde rilievo Barbisio 1a.jpg
This is one of the hats that certainly has its own character, then each of us will decide whether it's beautiful or weird.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ