Barbour Border

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Clyde R., Oct 31, 2010.

1. Clyde R.

Clyde R. One of the Regulars

Been wanting to try one of these for a while but I always balked at dropping the coin for a new one.

I started looking on Ebay and found a nice, gently used example for about a quarter of the price of a new one. As a bonus it came with the pile liner that costs about a hundred bucks new.

This appears to be a slightly older model with the Dress Gordon tartan lining and the button-in liner; my understanding is they are zip-in now.

Very happy with it so far, and the quality seems high. The price was definitely right on this particular coat. :cool:

Inside the coat looked pretty much new and I suspect it was worn very little by its previous owner. The seller told me he thought it had recently been re-proofed with wax as the distinctive wax smell was present and also from appearance sake. I don't have enough experience with Barbour waxed coats to tell really, but it looks to be in good shape.

[​IMG]

2. Papa M

Papa M A-List Customer

Rather like a damp doggy smell the waxed cotton smell seems to linger forever.

If you can live with that smell then they are great foul-weather jackets.

Personally I'm not keen on the odour. But at a quarter the retail price I would have tolerated it.:)

3. gyrobroyeur

gyrobroyeur Familiar Face

I've got 4 of them... I bought the first new, there were 18 years ago.
    The new ones dosen't smell anymore. Personally, I prefer the older ones (like yours). Congrats.

4. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

Flue And Waxed Jackets

The wax smell is something you either love or hate. For me, growing up around motorcycles, the minute I smell either leather or waxed cotton, I get those warm fuzzy memories! I like my International, and my leather jackets! When I was at home recovering from surgery a couple of years ago, I would cover my self with one of my leather jackets instead of a blanket, felt real nice! I have had the flue the last couple of days, using the same prescription, alternating leather and wax!