Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbour, Filson jackets

guitone

Familiar Face
Hello all,

I have tried on a few Barbour jackets, the beaufort and the bedale (like the length of the bedale for my 5'7" frame, but like the sleeves (no inner) on the beaufort. I also have seen the Filson Cover Cloth Weekender on line and these look pretty good as well...wondering if any have seen/tried on/owned both of these and how they stack up to each other?

Obviously these would not be everyday jackets, more specialized, as as I ownd a number of Ibex wool vests (zip up vets in loden) I could use these or a sweater if I need additional layering. I am in the Northeast so the weather here is not overly rainy, and this is more of a want than a need. I found the Barbour size 38 to be fine, the 40 to be huge on me, and their medium to also be too big. From my reading I would think the Filson Small (38) would be about right. Any experience with these would be of interest to me...I have done a search and read what was available.

guit

wemedge

New in Town
I own a Bedale. Wore it for about 8 years or so. The Bedale is a versatile jacket, a bit light, but the advantage of that is that you can use it as an overcoat if you're wearing a suit, for example (at least, I did). At the same time, with layering, it makes a pretty good field jacket.

I missed the hidden zipper pocket that the Border has, but other than that I have no complaints about the Bedale.

I own a Filson, but not in Cover cloth. My impression of Filson is that it is more robust than Barbour. However, my experience is limited to Tin cloth. Old_Hat, a member here, might chime in about Filson.

Sizewise, my Bedale isC42/107cm, and I wear a small in the Filson. My normal jacket size is 38 Regular, and the Filson Small is a perfect fit for me.

cheers,
wemedge

guitone

Familiar Face
I also like some of the features of the beaufort over the bedale, like the pockets, and the game pocket is pretty nice for gloves and cap...but not a requirement. I do find the sleeves on the beaufort more comfortabe, but I think that is just a matter of getting used to those wind stoppers. I have not tried the filson yet but when looking at the pics of the weekender it looks a tad more utilitarian, not a bad thing. I will use this jacket on my bicycle in bad weather, and for walking in the rain, in and out of the car..the longer beaufort may work better for that as it will give a bit more protection from the elements...but I still need to see the Filson.

wemedge

New in Town
If you're concerned about the knit storm cuffs, you may wish to check with Filson to see if the Weekender has them. My Filson does. My left cuff gets caught on my watch occasionally, but overall, they cut down on the chill a lot, keeping the wind from whistling up your sleeves.

good luck with your acquisition!

wemedge

guitone

Familiar Face
Old Hat, thanks for the added info....wemedge, I had the bedale on today and if I get a barbour that is the one, for my 5'7" frame it just looked better and felt better. I can get used the the sleeves, as it is not a deal breaker but I want to see the weekender before I decide.

Thanks

guitone

Familiar Face
Well I have had the opportunity to try the filson in the weekender style and although it was way to small I have to say I prefer the Barbour and it will be a beaufort when I do buy one of these..the added length will be better if I do wear it for business both to keep me dry and also for the look. I don't like the synthetic liners so I will just use a wool vest or sweaters for insulation, but the barbour in my opinion just looks dressier without being dressy if that makes any sense.

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
Two other brands to consider are Backhouse of New Zealand and Drizabone of Australia.

Backhouse basically is Barbour. I don't know the precise relationship between the two, ( whether they are jointly owned by a single firm, one is a subsidiary of the other, they are a joint venture, or whatever ) but Backhouse basically is Barbour. Backhouse makes the Bedale, the Border, and the Bedale in New Zealand while the Barbour Bushman really is a Backhouse.

Drizabone makes the Australian long riding coat as well as many other oilskins, including its own Bushman, a Brumby, a Ranger, and short riding coats.

One site that offers both is http://www.bestofdownunder.com/ . A simple Google search of "Backhouse" or "Drizabone" will get you many more.

Heirphoto

New in Town
Just got a copy of Barbours winter catalog and founf 2 interesting "new" jackets listed. One is the Beaufort and the other is their Vintage Original Coat from the turn of the century. Both come with a vintage finished medium waxed cotton and an aged looking tartan plaid inside. Nice touch for those of us locked into the vintage world thing. These are part of their heritage series.
I guess 2 Barbours are not enough now. I have the Northumbria and the Durham both in Sylkoil cloth. Best investment in a jacket yet......well, there is my Wested Indy.
Tony

guitone

Familiar Face
and for me an indy and a barbour are on the short list of what I want.....maybe an flight jacket instead of the indy......I have to decide between wested and FS, or I should say I have to decide style first, then if the indy wins, who's I will get.

Heirphoto

New in Town
Guit,
FS has an adventurers jacket which is an Indy'ish version of an A2. Nice jacket and a variety of leathers. If you are shopping for a Barbour try Atlantic British, a LandRover parts supplier in New York. They are on the web and have far more than shown on their website,. Claudette will order any jacket you need from Barbour US if not in stock. They have ben supplying me for years and are nice friendly people.
Tony

guitone

Familiar Face
Tony, would that be their raiders or expedition..I have been looking at both. I have heard that the raiders (I think this is a nice jacket) have very small pockets, that coud kill the deal, but I am looking at both of those. Thanks for the lead on Barbour.

Joel

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Have a Barbour Bedale tucked away here...

I think it is either a 38 or a 40 (it's been put away safely in the loft) but just hasn't been getting the use. It was bought for riding, but just didn't get used. It's well worn in (that's how the country set like them in the UK!) and if interested, I'll dig it out and get a few pics. If it's your 'cup of tea' then I'll do a good deal. Also have a Beaufort, but I'd be embarrassed to even tempt you with it as its been through the wars (dog walks, gardening, country shoots..etc). Let me know as it'd be a shame to see you spending big bucks on a new one, they don't come cheap.

guitone

Familiar Face
Paddy,

Thanks...My preference would be a beaufort, but a bedale in 38 in really good condition may be of interest...when you get a chance let me know the size and color..

Thanks

Joel

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Joel, some details on the Bedale...

Just dug it up out of the attic where its been sleeping :)

It's a 38" and in green. I'll get some pics with the digital camera if you are interested Joel. Be looking at a fair $70 plus whatever it weighs in at the post office (cannot imagine it's going to be too much). But no pressure, as its been sleeping for a few years already in the attic, and can sleep some more if need-be! ;)

Just let me know. Cheers!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have two Barbours: a Bedale and a Border. The Bedale I wear as an everyday jacket and the Border I wear as an overcoat. The Bedale is very short and I had to send it to Barbour to have the sleeves lengthened, but now that I have it the way I like it, it is a perfect adventure jacket.

The Border jacket is much longer and does not have the knit cuffs. It is sized generously to fit over a suit (Fans of "Law and Order" will notice that "MCCoy, Sam Waterston's character, wears a Barbour in this manner).

I love both of these jackets. They are tough and better than Gore-Tex in the rain. Also, anything you do to it; if you were to rip it; all you would have to do is send it to Barbour and they will fix it for you, cheaply and in about a month.

guitone

Familiar Face
Being on the shorter side, 5'7", I found the Beaufort to be a good length for me, I can even pull off a sport coat should I want, but I would probably wear this with sweaters anyway. The border looks great but I think it is actually too long for someone of my height, unless you want to look like an munchkin.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Border is very long. I am 6'2", so I can carry it. But, to be honest, it is almost a little long for me. I know I won't be wearing it again until November. It gives a lot of protection from those slushy New England winters. You cannot beat all of the removeable pockets. There are so many and they are deep enough to slip hardcover books into.

The Bedale, however, is lighter and makes a great spring, summer, and fall jacket. In fact, it has all but replaced my Patagonia Gore-tex shell for all but the most technical uses.

The Beaufort is a great jacket also. It is a little more of a shooter's jacket, I think. It has pockets for game, doesn't it? The Bedale is for equestrian pursuits, so it lacks the game pockets.

guitone

Familiar Face
The beaufort does have a game pocket, good for hats(caps and wools) and gloves too. I like both of these but I thought for business (I am very lucky as I am in sales, but can dress casually) the beaufort would look at bit dressier and also protect me a bit more from the elements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran