Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Late to the party as usual, but I've read the word "misting" used a few times in conjunction with using water to shape hats and I'd like to comment on that.

I use distilled water in a spray bottle because the tap water in my home town is filled with all sorts of nasty stuff, but I spray the felt until it's good and wet, then let it sit for 30-60 seconds to allow the felt to absorb the water. After that, the felt shapes quite easily, almost like clay. Once you've shaped the crown and/or brim to your liking, place the hat somewhere and let it dry. Never use heat to try to dry the hat faster; heat can make even the best fur felt shrink. Note: Steam generally does not affect the felt this way because it's applied for such a short period of time.

Also, I agree with the comments about "fine tuning" the shape after the hat gets rained on. Akubras like rain. And even if you don't do any re-shaping, they somehow look and feel better after getting rained on; part of their charm, I suppose.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Distilled water in my spray bottle.But I use city water in my steamer,no ill effects.

If you think about it distilled water is water that has been turned to steam , condensed , and bottled . I use distilled (just because I'm chicken , but ...) water , same thing , if you think about it , if steamed .

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
In my earlier post on the subject I didn't think "American tap water". Our Danish tap water has frequently been tested against bottled water, and comes out cleaner everytime. The bacteria level is slightly higher in bottled water, while the mineral composition is pretty much alike. Contrary to that I recall a heavy chlorine smell from tap water in both Vegas and Nashville. Under those conditions I might also chose distilled water :)

On the other hand I can't help thinking about rain water. Close to industries and/or cities rain water often contains quite large amounts of chemicals and acid ("What goes up must come down" ;) ). I never noticed any degrading of felt from wearing my hats in the rain. Maybe felt is a lot more resilient, than we fear.

Last edited:

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
In my earlier post on the subject I didn't think "American tap water". Our Danish tap water has frequently been tested against bottled water, and comes out cleaner everytime. The bacteria level is slightly higher in bottled water, while the mineral composition is pretty much alike. Contrary to that I recall a heavy chlorine smell from tap water in both Vegas and Nashville. Under those conditions I might also chose distilled water :)

On the other hand I can't help thinking about rain water. Close to industries and/or cities rain water often contains quite large amounts of chemicals and acid ("What goes up must come down" ;) ). I never noticed any degrading of felt from wearing my hats in the rain. Maybe felt is a lot more resilient, than we fear.

Ole , Nashville has the WORST Water around ! They get their water from the Cumberland River , and dump waste (everything) in the River , too . Terrible Water ! Depends where you are . We have great water here , Thankfully !

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Something about the Pusher Man , but I can't remember ... . haha ! ... I think that was from Super Fly ... . Everybody's Hats would be called , "Fly !" I know ... .

Last edited:
All I know is what I read about in Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers mags.

But how does he bash his hat?

"Hats will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no hats"

s-l300.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy