Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BATTER UP!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
EB9B14EF-BB96-4335-B809-DC77F6052579.jpeg

52735EFC-BE0F-410C-95AA-FD61F8E3A4CA.jpeg

560D6830-D5D5-4839-8657-59A61783F0EA.jpeg

17FAAF60-F566-4D17-A5CF-73A50E2E68EA.jpeg

CE4250F2-CA1E-41C7-9C7E-0F3043FB6409.jpeg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Ain't lookin too good for the home team. Darvish still holdnout. Dodgers in play, agent wants a fiver. A slow hand of shirtfront poker.
Word heard on the street (Michigan Avenue) and listened to the wind flying past the Options Exchange, the Cubs will sign Yu Darvish within twenty-four-to-forty-eight hours.
Hubba hubba.:D A rumor still, but well placed.

A bit late but Theo nailed it.:D

Harp

I'll Lock Up
It's officially the first week of Spring Training and Justin Verlander is already bringing the heat. :D

I was sorry the Cubs didn't land V last season; however Brad Peacock pitched
exceptionally well with a 2.45 Series ERA and a professional's methodical cool approach-
unlike some of the Dodger hurlers-one of whom threw a right cross at Mr Gatorade Cooler.o_O

LizzieMaine

Bartender
While we wait for the action from Florida to get started, here's action of a different kind as Ted Williams appears on "What's My Line?" in 1954. As one who grew up knowing T. Ballgame as a rather tubby, shopworn-looking fellow in bread commercials, it's always a bit of a jolt to see what an astoundingly good-looking man he was in his prime and out of uniform. I'm also not surprised to learn that Bennett Cerf was a baseball fan, all the best people are.

I wonder what Ted did with the $15? We can be certain, at least, that he didn't use it to buy a necktie.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
With spring training dawns another season and the acknowledgement that for the Chicago Cubs, now that the bullpen is locked down,
its overall lack of consistent hitting needs resolve. Ted Williams, maverick that he was, was a slugger
with a sharp eye, attitude-lots, and a highly disciplined strike zone. And he hit .408 or thereabouts in '46.

Ted's last cuts at Fenway Park, in an Old Timer's Game played in 1986.

There's something terribly surreal about even the idea of Ted Williams batting against Mark Fidrych, which is probably why they pulled The Bird. "When Eras Collide."

The sentence works this way too: There's something terribly surreal about Mark Fidrych.

As any good editor will tell you, the less words the better.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Yu Darvish, ranked third in the Cubs bullpen is slated to pitch this afternoon against the Rockies, who successfully caught ex-Cubs closer Wade Davis.
Lester, Hendricks, Yu, Quintana, and Chatwood backed by Montgomery with new closer Morrow acquired from LA, this season seems tuned to the right pitch.
Or southpaw as the case may be.;)

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Yu Darvish, ranked third in the Cubs bullpen is slated to pitch this afternoon against the Rockies...

Yu scratched yesterday for illness but pitched two simulated innings and took batting practice. Darvish will face the Dodgers later instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ