Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BATTER UP!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I want one of those sweaters!

Abercrombie & Fitch.
3D6D72BF-448D-4397-A41E-3FA1D74921D9.jpeg

They were last year's items and purchased
several at "clearance" prices in dark grey
medium grey and tan.
The only thing missing is "N Y".
There's a custom embroidery shop that will
slap one on if I like.
The material is excellent.
Overall their sizes tend to be on slim side.
I usually wear xlarge. But having tried their
products at local shop over the years,
I ordered online at xxxlarge and the fit is perfect. I'm 6'3"
4649302E-DA39-458E-AE77-6C1BE334FE07.jpeg

Ralphie sometimes will come out with limited editions but tend to be pricey!

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
October 6, 1882
71C5C2D9-0841-458D-B440-6090A9E00155.jpeg

The Cincinnati Red Stockings in the first World Series game ever, well, sort of, 4-0, over the Chicago White Stockings in an unauthorized game in Cincinnati.

The Cincinnati Red Stockings were the first champions of the newly formed American Association. Able to re-sign several of the 1880 Cincinnati Reds players from the days before their expulsion from the National League, they were the most experienced team in the American Association. They were able to bring back three starting position players and sign eight other players who had previous major league experience.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Sox better take this Series in four straight, because I don't think I can handle seven games worth of abominable Fox Sports coverage, willfully stupid commercials, and that preening, honking ass Joe Buck. Only an inning and a half in, and I'm already gagging.

Also, the Dodgers joined the Yankees in crossing the picket line in the ongoing Boston hotel strike. For a franchise which relentlessly markets its proud heritage of social activism -- without any justification since they left Brooklyn, but whatever -- that's really really sleazy. That wasn't rain falling earlier tonite -- that was Marvin Miller spitting.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The Sox better take this Series in four straight, because I don't think I can handle seven games worth of abominable Fox Sports coverage, willfully stupid commercials, and that preening, honking ass Joe Buck. Only an inning and a half in, and I'm already gagging.

Also, the Dodgers joined the Yankees in crossing the picket line in the ongoing Boston hotel strike. For a franchise which relentlessly markets its proud heritage of social activism -- without any justification since they left Brooklyn, but whatever -- that's really really sleazy. That wasn't rain falling earlier tonite -- that was Marvin Miller spitting.

It’s not good to get so upset Lizzie.
It’s just a d.a.game.
Pls. take care.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And what is it with the physiognomy of pitchers today? Kershaw and Sale standing side by side look like the leftovers from a turkey-plucking contest.

Still, an agreeable result. Although nuts to Fox for cutting off Yaz throwing out the first ball -- my mother'd been looking forward all day to seeing Her Honey in action one more time.

And what is it with the physiognomy of pitchers today? Kershaw and Sale standing side by side look like the leftovers from a turkey-plucking contest.

Still, an agreeable result. Although nuts to Fox for cutting off Yaz throwing out the first ball -- my mother'd been looking forward all day to seeing Her Honey in action one more time.

In football, most of the time, you can guess the position played (or narrow it to two or three) from the body type, but major league baseball pitchers simply don't fit any mold: fat, short, tall, skinny (or super skinny, as you note) and everything in between seems able to produce someone who can throw and control a +/-95mph pitch.

Thought we needed a shout-out to the history-making moment of last night's game - the longest World Series game ever.

From ESPN:

"...The homer ended a game that lasted 7 hours, 20 minutes and ended at 3:30 a.m. Boston time. The time of game would have been long for a doubleheader. It also was the longest World Series contest by innings.

According to Stats LLC, the game took longer than the entire 1939 World Series, when the Yankees swept the Reds in a combined 7 hours, 5 minutes. A record 46 players appeared in the game -- 23 for each team. There were two stadium-wide renditions of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame," in the middle of the seventh and 14th innings...."
ap-nathan-eovaldi-hr-18th-inning-1540627279.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
From ESPN:

According to Stats LLC, the game took longer than the entire 1939 World Series, when the Yankees swept the Reds in a combined 7 hours, 5 minutes. A record 46 players appeared in the game -- 23 for each team. There were two stadium-wide renditions of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame," in the middle of the seventh and 14th innings...."
View attachment 142079

Based on the end results of the 1939 WS.
I have no doubt that certain members of the FL
would
ve been chanting...

“Get me out of this Ballgame!” :mad:

86738-c9999e6b075622c401ad4ccba070d246.jpg.gif

Thought we needed a shout-out to the history-making moment of last night's game - the longest World Series game ever.

From ESPN:

"...The homer ended a game that lasted 7 hours, 20 minutes and ended at 3:30 a.m. Boston time. The time of game would have been long for a doubleheader. It also was the longest World Series contest by innings.

View attachment 142079

I stayed up to watch the entire game. I was completely wiped out, and I didn't even care who won. Nathan Eovaldi (who's from the same town as Nolan Ryan, in case you missed the 400 times they mentioned it) pitched his ass off and should have won that game. If the Sox somehow manage to not win this series, Lizzie will have Ian Kinsler up there with Calvin Schiraldi on her "list".

On a side note, I wish Joe Buck would learn the rules of baseball.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Best part of the Series outcome was seeing that ineffable twerp Machado getting a can tied to his tail. I hope they do trade him to the Yankees - where he can look forward to a proper greeting every time he visits Boston.

Watching the look on Mookie's face at the end of the Series was the cherry on top of the 118-Win-Sundae. I've forgotten all about that other Mookie. Well, not quite, but the memory doesn't burn like it used to.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Jan. 5 , 1934:
D0E3A79F-ED83-4F89-B186-C3D03D321F6F.jpeg

An early afternoon five-hour blaze destroys much of Fenway Park's newly-constructed concrete and steel left-field grandstand and center-field bleachers, that were built to replace the wooden structures in the 22 year-old ballpark. Tom Yawkey, the Red Sox's new owner, will have construction crews work overtime to rebuild the team's home in time for the season opener against Washington on April 17.

Last edited:

Bugguy

Practically Family
I'm sure you folks recognize this young man... 1977 MLB Hall of Fame. Ernie was a big supporter of the Chicago Boys Clubs. You can see the back of my head in the batting picture (???). This was probably around 1960-62.

A real straight-shooter. No scandals. A role model for us kids.

E Banks.jpg
E Banks 1.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Opening Day 1934 at Yankee Stadium, as recorded in raw Movietone News footage. Babe Ruth is fat and old -- Jimmie Foxx is not fat and not old.

Connie Mack is 72 years of age here. He will manage for another sixteen years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ