Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Be honest. What kind of jacket would you want to choose for going on a trip?

Graemsay

Practically Family
I think that the most versatile jacket would be a Ventile piece. The Cabourn Cameraman Fishtail would work better in town than a Gore-Tex shell, but be suitable for light fell-walking. It'll be lighter than a waxed jacket, if you need to carry it, and has a couple of big, zipped cargo pockets.

I've got a Cabourn Ventile smock, which has been my go-to jacket for the last four years. It's been worn during winter in the UK, Germany, China, and Australia with layers underneath, as well as in warmer weather. I'm planning on replacing it with the camouflage smock if it comes up in the sale in a few months.

If you're mostly going to be city based, then a neat leather jacket, like the one in the photo @willyto posted above, would be pretty versatile. It could be dressed up with a shirt and tie, or dressed down with jeans, depending on where you're going, and it'll give a bit of rain protection.

As others have suggested, layering it with something like this Iron Heart Cordura vest or the (sold out) Kinoko rain cape would extend its use further. If you travel with it on the jacket, then it doesn't count towards your luggage allowance. Handy if you're one-bagging it. :)

What I like the most about breast-pockets, is, that you can carry a sachet of tissues outside the jacket and in the other pocket, you can carry your homekeys instead of damaging your jeans-pockets with them.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
What I like the most about breast-pockets, is, that you can carry a sachet of tissues outside the jacket and in the other pocket, you can carry your homekeys instead of damaging your jeans-pockets with them.

I never carry keys in a jacket, always on my person. They can be easily lost in a jacket - esp if you forget the jacket. Keys can be kept in a leather holder in your pocket so no damage. I don't do coke any more so I rarely have need for a tissue. But it can be good to have a pocket for my flick knife.

Edward

Bartender
As ever, it depends.... as most of my travelling these days is done for work purposes, I often find I'm carrying either a suit or a blazer or two for when I get there. If I don't need that, though, it's not unusual for me to take a Harrington type jacket. One of the best all-rounders I've ever had as a travel jacket is, surprisingly, a Wested Indy (standard Raiders model). Two interior pockets, one of them with a zip, and those two, big, outer patch pockets... I've found it so remarkably practical that I'm actually considering ordering up one in cotton (perhaps even a second cotton one in black, if they do them) for travelling when temperatures preclude leather. While I always will want an Indy, that Wested's practicality has me even giving serious consideration to an Aero Royale, perhaps in a black goatskin. If they were starting Indy from scratch now, rather than an Eighties reimagining of an A2, shedding the knits for practicality and a non-military look, I can honestly see Indy wearing a Royale. To my mind, it's the "real" 30s jacket that Lucasfilm were looking for in 1980.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Edward I agree about the Royale. Damn it, now I'm looking at it. I think a real Indy would have worn an A1 (right time frame) and so popular in civilian form with adventurers (and golfers). Or a Cossack of some kind. If they do reboot Indy (which seems a distinct possibility) Amongst other things,I hope they don't screw up the jacket. Unfortunately I can see Chris Pratt with a messy looking thing by Matchless.

Back to the topic - The only thing I put in my jacket pocket is a mobile phone. Never anything else. I am currently wearing (while traveling) a medium weight Banana Republic leather jacket which I quite like. It's a terrific beater and cost me $50. Good pattern and nice build quality.

Banana.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone knows the real weight of the Alpha M65? On the net, some people say 2.000 Gramm at the authentic version. The Brandit M65 ist marked with 1,5 Kilogramm.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Great topic. I'll be heading to Scotland May 31 - June 10 and am trying to figure out a jacket to take. I will certainly take a light Gore Tex windbreaker that can be easily stuffed in a backpack, but I'm trying to decide on a more substantial jacket. I was leaning towards my Brooks Cafe Racer, but the pocket situation sucks on those jackets (what can you really put in a two breast pockets?), so I'm leaning towards a tweed sportcoat that would work well with jeans and be dressy enough for nicer restaurants.

Of course, if I was a true TFL baller, I'd pack no jacket and head right to Aero to pick up something appropriate!

Just come back this 1st May.
Going up the A1 was blocked and got directed to Edinburgh via the A68, a fantastic road to remember for a bike trip. Got to a roundabout, turn left for Galashiels(7 miles i think) but had to look straight on and whimsical, just wishing.
I took everything, so as another posted, depended on the event. As it was near freezing, and yes we had a dusting of snow but that went away and just left a cold biting wind around the castle, I wore my Teamster. Next, off to the Highlands and I wore a combo of a fleece lined Thunderbay, the Teamster, a motorcycle brand fleece and on Loch Awe a Barbour wax for a boat trip. The weather was nice, despite the warnings it was warmer than Edinburgh.
Back into south Yorkshire it was a light jacket or shirtsleeves.
Had I to pick one jacket then the Barbour would have to be it as i could layer up and down and keep reasonably dry, but personally I don't think wax field jackets pass the 'cool' factor unless in their own environment of hunting, fishing or trying to keep dry on a Loch with the Mrs heading into rough water just to look at the view ;)

dan_t

Practically Family
Lightweight, moderate warmth, reasonable weather resistance.
Either a waxed cotton or synthetic material is the way to go.
Such a shame really as the leather options are all too heavy for serious travel jackets.

Cocker

Practically Family
If it's just for travelling, not trekking or anything like that, in mild weather, I'd take one of my every day jacket. So either my Alpha L2 or my Aero A-2. They both provide enough space for what I carry (cigs and phone in the jacket, keys and wallet in my pants pockets), are lightweight and windproof, and I can layer under both if needed. If there's need for more pocket space, I'll take a small backpack and stuff what's needed in it. I don't like overstuffing my pockets.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Vanson Stadium;

Comfortable, not too heavy as it's fairly short and thinly lined and enough pockets to carry phone, keys, portmonnaie and a small knife (knives are what I collected before leather jackets, so I own plenty and try to always carry one with me, have a rotation of them, very comparable to jackets).

If I hadn't recently gotten the America jacket which I am currently trying to break in, I'd wear the Stadium every day.

I wore my lightweight microfibre-quilted jacket the first time on my bicycle, some minutes ago and it was fine.
It kept me cozy and warm on the 27 kilometers up to and 27 kilometers back. If it would have started to rain, the normal lightly way, it would not have been a problem. The slick microfibre-shell itself is heavy water-repellent and not much wind-sensitive.

But the big pro on this jacket from 2015s seasonal-fashion is the tapered-fit instead of regular-fit, with the additonal waist-straps, which I set on narrow. So, the jacket fits great and isn't fluttering on a bicycle-ride. You are well prepared for mixed weather and a ....tex-membrane functional-jacket isn't really needed. :)

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aero LHB in FQHH, for all the reasons Willyto gives, but also for the pockets. Mine has an inside pocket with a snap, and that's where my passport and credit cards go. The outside chest pocket is where tickets go: plane tkts, subway tokens, etc. Funny, but I don't find the leather to be restrictive or uncomfortable at all, and, besides, it looks so fantastic.

barnabus

One Too Many
Had I to pick one jacket then the Barbour would have to be it as i could layer up and down and keep reasonably dry, but personally I don't think wax field jackets pass the 'cool' factor unless in their own environment of hunting, fishing or trying to keep dry on a Loch with the Mrs heading into rough water just to look at the view ;)
My own choice would be a Barbour I think. Agree that they're a perfect layerer, and my choice would be an International: ample secure pockets, water resistant/proof, pretty lightweight, cool enough over a t shirt, warm enough with a sweater underneath. And the belt too.

Let me have a look back through my files...

Yup. This one -

cf87098df03d705382b09a2e1c600094.jpg

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
My own choice would be a Barbour I think. Agree that they're a perfect layerer, and my choice would be an International: ample secure pockets, water resistant/proof, pretty lightweight, cool enough over a t shirt, warm enough with a sweater underneath. And the belt too.

Let me have a look back through my files...

Yup. This one -

cf87098df03d705382b09a2e1c600094.jpg

I like this one with the slant on the pocket. The only thing I don't like is the one piece puller on the zip, I don't know why, is it a modern thing? My 'Border' has it.
Got a project going, an old 60s Trialsmaster, needs new Lightning zip, a clean and re wax to be serviceable again. Anyone got a zip to spare?
Cheers, J.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I get chilled real easy. On long train rides I take my corduroy jacket which is
light and comfortably warm. There are pockets everywhere.
I mostly carry snacks in them.
This is like a cozy blanket for me.

mj3gud.jpg

I wear this soft leather jacket which is very comfortable when I go sightseeing around the city or country-side.
They are very affordable.

I have several of these vintage jackets which were made by
Banana Republic.

2z584ee.jpg

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Aero LHB in FQHH, for all the reasons Willyto gives, but also for the pockets. Mine has an inside pocket with a snap, and that's where my passport and credit cards go. The outside chest pocket is where tickets go: plane tkts, subway tokens, etc. Funny, but I don't find the leather to be restrictive or uncomfortable at all, and, besides, it looks so fantastic.

The Aero LHB is the best, most underrated jacket out there.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
by a trip you mean bicycle trip?

I don't wear any jacket in my climate on bicycle, I wear suncream :D, hilly place here don't want any extra weight, even a lightweight jacket will be a huge wind catcher unless a very fitted one, also don't want to soil the lining with sweat.
I wear cargo pants to carry stuff I need, or "jeans" with extra pockets on the leg

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I get chilled real easy. On long train rides I take my corduroy jacket which is
light and comfortably warm. There are pockets everywhere.
I mostly carry snacks in them.
This is like a cozy blanket for me.

mj3gud.jpg

I wear this soft leather jacket which is very comfortable when I go sightseeing around the city or country-side.
They are very affordable.

I have several of these vintage jackets which were made by
Banana Republic.

2z584ee.jpg
I have that same corduroy jacket, I believe, but in bottle-green. Incredibly comfy and warm. One of those jackets you wouldn't part with for anything.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I have that same corduroy jacket, I believe, but in bottle-green. Incredibly comfy and warm. One of those jackets you wouldn't part with for anything.

I have several cord pants that I wear with the jacket.
Although I have been made aware that one should not wear them together.

I'm not comfortable in an overly warm house.
I prefer a bit on the cooler side and the cords are perfect around the house. :)

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Edward I agree about the Royale. Damn it, now I'm looking at it. I think a real Indy would have worn an A1 (right time frame) and so popular in civilian form with adventurers (and golfers). Or a Cossack of some kind. If they do reboot Indy (which seems a distinct possibility) Amongst other things,I hope they don't screw up the jacket. Unfortunately I can see Chris Pratt with a messy looking thing by Matchless.

It'll be interesting to see. Thing is, I think that so much of the Indy mythology is tied up in the hat and the jacket that it'll be virtually impossible for them to change it. I suspect half the fanbase would even be furious if they put him in an Aero Royale, because it's "different". My gut instinct is that we'll see the new films set within the same continuity, not a reboot as such, and intended very much to be the same character, not any kind of reimagining. The Mouse, after all, doesn't buy these properties to make new films: it buys them to make money.

Back to the topic - The only thing I put in my jacket pocket is a mobile phone. Never anything else. I am currently wearing (while traveling) a medium weight Banana Republic leather jacket which I quite like. It's a terrific beater and cost me $50. Good pattern and nice build quality.

View attachment 73578

Funny how sometimes the ones that are picked up as cheap beaters become the indispensable ones, isn't it?

You forget the motorcycling cool factor of the Barbour International / Belstaff Trialmaster, the archetypal biker jacket in the UK until some guy called Strabler came along.... ;)

If it's just for travelling, not trekking or anything like that, in mild weather, I'd take one of my every day jacket. So either my Alpha L2 or my Aero A-2. They both provide enough space for what I carry (cigs and phone in the jacket, keys and wallet in my pants pockets), are lightweight and windproof, and I can layer under both if needed. If there's need for more pocket space, I'll take a small backpack and stuff what's needed in it. I don't like overstuffing my pockets.

I'm a fan of carrying a bag too. Especially when flying: so much more convenient to be able to stick everything in a bag for going through security than having to empty pockets and such. Same reason I 'discovered' penny loafers last year, flying convenience.

Me neither - the only time I would eschew leather as a travel option is when the weather makes it problematic. (Usually a heat issue, as I do the majority of my travelling during May/June/July, to China.)

I like this one with the slant on the pocket. The only thing I don't like is the one piece puller on the zip, I don't know why, is it a modern thing? My 'Border' has it.
Got a project going, an old 60s Trialsmaster, needs new Lightning zip, a clean and re wax to be serviceable again. Anyone got a zip to spare?
Cheers, J.

Might be worth asking Derek at Lewis Leathers if he'll sell you a zip.... don't they still use a repop of the original Lightning zip, or am I misremembering?

I'm not comfortable in an overly warm house.
I prefer a bit on the cooler side and the cords are perfect around the house. :)

I'm the same. I live in a flat and have only one room which has as many as two exterior walls, so it tends to be pretty warm all the time. Often in Winter I turn my heating way down (or sometimes off) because I just don't need it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran