Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Be honest. What kind of jacket would you want to choose for going on a trip?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have several cord pants that compliment the jacket.
Although I have been made aware that one should not wear them together.

I'm not comfortable in an overly warm house.
I prefer a bit on the cooler side and the cords are perfect around the house. :)
I dunno, I'm always scanning the internet for a well-made, navy blue corduroy suit. I know Agnes B Homme had one some time ago, but I've yet to see one bob to the surface. I saw Roger Ebert, the film critic, wearing one several years ago, and I've been on the hunt ever since. It always surprises me that you don't see more of them.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I dunno, I'm always scanning the internet for a well-made, navy blue corduroy suit. I know Agnes B Homme had one some time ago, but I've yet to see one bob to the surface. I saw Roger Ebert, the film critic, wearing one several years ago, and I've been on the hunt ever since. It always surprises me that you don't see more of them.

It was not correct to have stated that I have corduroy pants that
compliment my jacket. The width of the cord on the pants are
slightly different. But I’m comfortable wearing them at home.

But that was the reason that I was made aware of
that they should not be worn together.

A coordinated corduroy suit would be another matter.

Last edited:
by a trip you mean bicycle trip?

No, I mean travel, generally.

Ok, versatility is basically surely great, no question. I love my fieldjacket, especially on having a few things to do in bigger cities, including visits to shopping centers and so on. You can buy little things first, put them in the flap-pockets downside and walk in the next store for other things and so on. Really great for "daily adventures". :)

But on the other side, I'm not a man, which have much little things carrying on my body. So, the four classic flap-pockets on fieldjackets are not absolutely needed by me. I don't carry a pocket-knife ot things like this. Two breast-pockets are always sufficient to me. :)

I'm not a guy like "Schimanski". ;););)

TATORT-TATORT-Duisburg-Ruhrort-D-1981-Hajo-Gies-Im-Duisburger-Hafen-wurde-ein-Toter-gefunden-Es_146704006461323.jpg

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
Anyone knows the real weight of the Alpha M65? On the net, some people say 2.000 Gramm at the authentic version. The Brandit M65 ist marked with 1,5 Kilogramm.

just weighed my olive one ( I have black also) with the liner it's 2.2 Kg ... in a L ( which fits big)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I love corduroy but would never wear a cord suit. Fine for Robert Redford in the 1970's or a reed thin, world weary Jarvis Cocker now. But in 'real life' it would look overly deliberate or nerdy.

I have cord pants and jackets about 4 of each. They never get worn together.

I agree that a cord jacket would be great for travelling. But I hate too many pockets. I always misplace things if I have too many pockets.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
You forget the motorcycling cool factor of the Barbour International / Belstaff Trialmaster, the archetypal biker jacket in the UK until some guy called Strabler came along.... ;)

Might be worth asking Derek at Lewis Leathers if he'll sell you a zip.... don't they still use a repop of the original Lightning zip, or am I misremembering?

The Trialsmaster is a classic and definitely has the cool factor with bikes though the belt is a must, but the standard wax green jacket looks best when matched with a shotgun or fishing tackle standing in a Scottish river fly fishing.
Thanks for the tip about Derek at Lewis, I may give him a try;)

OK, for you kids in UK/Scotland...
I'm going there at the end of the month for a week. Should I bring a jacket, or will it have warmed up by then?
Mostly northern UK and a short spat in Ireland...

Plumbline

One Too Many
Pack for Winter, Spring and Summer ..... seriously !

I've been in snow in June and equally I've been in shorts. We were up this weekend (Langholm and Glasgow) and it's 15 during the day and 7 at night ( DegC) ..... I don't imagine the end of the month will be much different. It might be though ... that's the "beauty" of the North of the UK ..... it's er ... unpredictable.

Give that Ventura of yours an airing ... pack a sweater and a scarf, and a pair of shorts :)

I've been in snow in June and equally I've been in shorts. We were up this weekend (Langholm and Glasgow) and it's 15 during the day and 7 at night ( DegC) ..... I don't imagine the end of the month will be much different. It might be though ... that's the "beauty" of the North of the UK ..... it's er ... unpredictable.

Give that Ventura of yours an airing ... pack a sweater and a scarf, and a pair of shorts :)

Nice. I have some choices to make for sure. We do NOT check luggage, so it has to be what I can wear and put into a carry-on.
If I were flush, I'd go by Aero and see what they have, but I'm not. I just got a nice pair of Hestra elk skin gloves and I have enough pieces to be happy I think.

Hal

Practically Family
Plumbline is absolutely right! In addition, as where you're visiting is so far north, you'll experience very long days - it will be hardly dark by 10pm in northern Scotland - enjoy it!

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
To cover all the bases, or most of them, I'd choose a single breasted raincoat like a classic Burberry or London Fog or something. It can be worn with anything, for most situations.

Reactions: Hal
I own coats that can handle rain a bit, but no rain coats. I tried on some Barbers in Durham last fall, but the use I'd get is so minimal, that I opted out. When I got my Aero in 2011, it got soaked good but I never got wet.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
oo for general trip, probably something with less outer pocket, won't attract pickpockets, so probably a simple blazer with pocket in the lining for my mobile phone or my leather jacket that has no outer pockets.
other jackets with lots of pockets here we can't even wear those into a supermarket

Edward

Bartender
I've had a couple of Pendleton 49ers here and there, love those.

Old Town, I believe, do corduroy in some of their stuff. At least they used to... been a while since I scoped their site for that.

I love corduroy but would never wear a cord suit. Fine for Robert Redford in the 1970's or a reed thin, world weary Jarvis Cocker now. But in 'real life' it would look overly deliberate or nerdy.

I have cord pants and jackets about 4 of each. They never get worn together.

I agree that a cord jacket would be great for travelling. But I hate too many pockets. I always misplace things if I have too many pockets.

A late friend of mine used to have a wide-whale corduroy suit in scarlet. Looked amazing.

I know what you means about too many pockets. I once lost a cassette in a Perfecto style.... took a week before I realised it had two internal pockets!

The Trialsmaster is a classic and definitely has the cool factor with bikes though the belt is a must, but the standard wax green jacket looks best when matched with a shotgun or fishing tackle standing in a Scottish river fly fishing.
Thanks for the tip about Derek at Lewis, I may give him a try;)

Yeah, definitely the belt. It's also, interestingly, one of the easiest styles to find available now with a full-on vintage look yet full EU standard armouring in it. Best of both worlds.

OK, for you kids in UK/Scotland...
I'm going there at the end of the month for a week. Should I bring a jacket, or will it have warmed up by then?
Mostly northern UK and a short spat in Ireland...

What part of Ireland are you headed to?

As has been said already, it can be changeable in Scotland and Ireland at this time of year. Bring a sweater for cool evenings, and be prepared for rain.

I was afraid of the rain possibility...last time I was in France and Scotland, it was raining, and all I had was the Aero.
I do have a nice Filson wool Mac, but I don't know if I want to haul that or a heavy leather jacket around...
I didn't even think this was going to be a big deal, but it's seeming like more planning is needed. Thanks for the help fellas.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I was afraid of the rain possibility...last time I was in France and Scotland, it was raining, and all I had was the Aero.
I do have a nice Filson wool Mac, but I don't know if I want to haul that or a heavy leather jacket around...
I didn't even think this was going to be a big deal, but it's seeming like more planning is needed. Thanks for the help fellas.

I'm probably taking a LL Bean Gore Tex Windbreaker and a fleece for layering and either a Cafe racer or tweed sport coat.

I'm probably taking a LL Bean Gore Tex Windbreaker and a fleece for layering and either a Cafe racer or tweed sport coat.
If not for the travel piece, I'd have more options. As it is, I either wear what I bring, or shuffle more out of the carry-on.
I don't want to be miserable, but then, I guess that's what pubs are for...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy