Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Be honest. What kind of jacket would you want to choose for going on a trip?

Got my Hestra Elk gloves - fantastic!
External seams, incredibly soft, nice warm/soft wool terry lining.
These will be perfect for my trip I think.
hestra-elk_5048.JPG
hestra-elk_5041.JPG
hestra-elk_5050.JPG
hestra-elk_5040.JPG
hestra-elk_5042.JPG
hestra-elk_5047.JPG
hestra-elk_5049.JPG

OceanBreeze

One of the Regulars
Let us say normal transitional weather, not winter.

-the most versatile?
-the most water-repellent?
-the most sporty?
-the most elegant?
-the most lightweight?
-the most robust?
-the most breathable?
-the most warming?

I'm honest: The most lightweight!
My soft microfibre(polyester)-jacket ist probably half of the weight of my classic polyester-fieldjacket. :)

For a trip where weight is really important, like backpacking: synthetic fabric with some water resistance
For anything else - Sturdy leather jacket, preferably with wool lining

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I pretty much wear an A-2 through the summer here - does me fine in terms of wind and rain protection, keeps me warm if I'm out in the evening and I can keep can track of everything with the patch pockets.

Weather is low 40ºs here at night. I've been trying to see what I can stand wearing for this trip as whatever I take, goes on my back for the flights over and back. Going to try and get by with less. I don't have an A-2 any longer, but maybe the LW A-1 or the good ol' G-1 will do. If it warms up, I'll go for the MA-1 Cockpit I got this spring.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I like the L2-B, but I'm surprised how many choose not to wear their leathers travelling. When I went to New York a few years ago, I wore my Shinki J-100 and in my recent trip to San Francisco I wore my Himel Grizzly, which I plan to wear again to SF this summer (I love their year round jacket weather.) If I went anywhere really cold, I would just wear my Freewheelers 1913 peacoat.

Unfortunately, Japan this summer will be far too hot and humid for any jacket.

Biggles88a

New in Town
It's not nylon. It's a cotton version as below. Quality is very good, IMO. Contemplating a red one too.
Still trying to get over the whole "skinhead" thing with the nylon versions...

View media item 1232
IMG_1609.JPG
I am pretty much an A-2/ G-1 man myself but I really enjoy the L-2 series as being so comfortable and versatile. And my "mandatory" hairstyle really is challenging concerning the skinhead appearance. I decided I just had to live with it and to make up for it I deliberately look for older ladies to help across the street. I just can't give up L-2s...

CatsCan

Practically Family
Butte, I 'd take an umbrella. Imagine the look of historically accurate military garment like A-2/G-1 combined with an umbrella with peace-symbols all over it. And pink I 'd prefer. Serious, I like to provoke optically these days....

Cats

Interbak

One of the Regulars
I've done a lot of travelling in the past 6 months, by car and plane, all over Canada, the US and Mexico, pretty much had my GW steer A2 with me every trip. Flying to Oregon this morning, weather is typical NW spring, cool and wet, packing an oilskin Irish Setter this time, light weight, lots of pockets, and water resistant.
B

dubpynchon

One Too Many
I know it's heresy but I'd probably wear a North Face down jacket if I was travelling in cold weather, which is most of the time on this side of the pond, it weighs nothing, packs down slightly better than a B-3 (I tend to run cold) and is very functional. Obviously it doesn't hold a candle to my real jackets and sheepskins. If it's summer my Aero Highwayman is my only choice. Well, nearly only.

galvestonokie

Familiar Face
to be honest, i have anticipated a number of trips assuming i could wear one of my leather jackets. in way too many cases, it was too warm for the leather. a few years ago, i ordered a Quantum (of Solace) jacket from Magnoli Clothiers. it is basically a Tom Ford redesign of a Harrington jacket. i have just about worn the jacket out, as it is becoming faded. it fits well, love the style, and the weight makes it my go-to jacket. BTW, this is Bond, not me :)

161010-daniel-craig-quantum-solace-tom-ford-jacket.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran