Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beanies

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I wear a plain dark blue one during the winter sometimes. They're very functional, and don't look bad with more casual attire like jeans and a canvas jacket. I would suggest Amazon if you want to find some of these.

Edward

Bartender
The only purpose I have for one, really, is when sleeping in a tent. Being shaven-headed, about three or four in the morning, even in Summer, the top of my head gets terribly cold. A sleeping cap of some sort is thus useful. I have no other use of one, really. Ideally for this purpose I would prefer a WW2 era style watch cap. Buzz do a lovely one, but I'd be wanting a brimmed, furfelt hat for what they charge for that!

job

One Too Many
Some of the members here may also be young and that's part of their fashion. We should be respectful of others on the lounge that like something we don't.

A knit cap or toboggan looks cool with a pea coat.

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
Some of the members here may also be young and that's part of their fashion. We should be respectful of others on the lounge that like something we don't.

Sorry, I was thinking of vintage felt or leather beanies. As far as I can tell, modern beanies look very, very different from the vintage ones.

Betcha that lawson_jeremy could get better answers at http://www.styleforum.net/t/204899/beanies

Last edited:
Some of the members here may also be young and that's part of their fashion.

right on.

babycap5.jpg

Equality 7-2521

One of the Regulars

They are also extremely practical. Living in a cold area I can't imagine being without one in the winter months, which are fast approaching here.

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer

This is exactly what my father made for us from his old felts. We sewed buttons around the brim........

I think there is a gap in what the younger generation considers a "beanie." Stocking cap or watch caps are just that, but they are not "beanies" in the eyes of most baby boomers. A watch cap looks sharp with a peacoat - kinda like they were made for each other!;)

Alan, please tell me that is the same cap you were wearing in your avatar!

You've done it again!

right on.

babycap5.jpg

Mr. Freedman;
Such joi de vivre! For hat history I can't go back quite as far into my "yoot" as your beanie-wearing days, but there is a group photo of my high school drama club (1972 or 3) where I am the only standout wearing my first fedora, a Lee Whippet style from about 1945-50. Like you and the beanie, I still wear that hat when needed. VERY amusing, my friend!:eusa_clap

As for a new beanie source, check out Dave Brown of Rochester. He MAKES them (or did when his website was put up). This link worked a moment ago...

http://www.davebrownhats.com/products_f.html

Beautiful, custom-made, Jughead-styled Beaver felt beanies. But WHY? And even more disturbing; why did I remember that...?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass