Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beater Brotherhood

MCrider

A-List Customer
I figured this would be the place to put this.
Saturday at work, a gentleman in his 80's walked in wearing an old coat and an old fedora. It was a tan color with a leather band instead of a ribbon and had a hole at the top of the pinch. It had a probably 2.5 inch brim with a little dust on it, like he just tried brushing it off with his hand. I commented about his hat telling him it looked like it had seen better days. He smiled at me and taking the hat off (by grasping the pinch of course) looked at it and stated: "Yes sir, we've seen some days together." Still wearing that smile, he nodded at me and put his hat on before walking out the door. After he was gone, I went back to my locker and pulled out my Akubra Sydney and wondered if it would ever have as much class as his hat did.

RBH

Bartender
MCrider said:
I figured this would be the place to put this.
Saturday at work, a gentleman in his 80's walked in wearing an old coat and an old fedora. It was a tan color with a leather band instead of a ribbon and had a hole at the top of the pinch. It had a probably 2.5 inch brim with a little dust on it, like he just tried brushing it off with his hand. I commented about his hat telling him it looked like it had seen better days. He smiled at me and taking the hat off (by grasping the pinch of course) looked at it and stated: "Yes sir, we've seen some days together." Still wearing that smile, he nodded at me and put his hat on before walking out the door. After he was gone, I went back to my locker and pulled out my Akubra Sydney and wondered if it would ever have as much class as his hat did.

Now that is a great story...

Thank you!

Big_e

Practically Family
My hats are still fairly new. I think my Dynafelt Derby will end up becoming my beater. It's the one I grab if I even think it's gonna rain or snow.
Ernest

Picture373.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
So this is my beater for when I am not in the city.
n500082578_96236_4161.jpg

In case you didn't guess, I am the one in the middle.
The hat is a Baily's Firehole in LiteFelt. It can take a heck of a beating.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
At what point do you retire your hat? Or maybe send it off for a renovation job? Lets hear about it, or maybe better yet, see it.

I have retired two hats so far, both Akubra's, a Federation and a Snowy River. They both still looked good and still had life left in them but the sweat band kept shrinking. I bought a hat Jack to stretch them out again but they just kept shrinking. In the end I found it was worth it to me to buy a new hat rather then keep stretching the old hats out every other day. Here is a picture of the Snowy River
snowyriver.jpg

as I say, it still looks good but it shrank down from a 7 1/2 to a 7 3/8 LO over two years. The Federation is now owned by a friend that still wears it regularly.

So lets see your old worn hats.

Johnny

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
If by 'beater' it is meant a hat that you dont care what happens to it, or what gets on it, then I guess I have two of them - a woolie that I do construction, including wallboard, plaster and paint, in:

0117001209.jpg

and this converted Bailey western:

1016101651a.jpg

I wear two of my Akubras when doing yard work but I dont consider that beater-work.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?53973-Show-us-your-beaten.-Not-your-bea

Ok, maybe my Bailey Ventilator might be considered ugly.
IMG_2170.jpg

This 5-panel is pretty attractive, allbeit somewhat worse for wear.
IMG_2149.jpg

This Adam stiff-brim is ideal for rototilling in the back 40..
IMG_2153.jpg

I just wish there was a topic dedicated to our favorite 'beaters', I'm just sure that I am not alone in loving some of those less-fortunate hats of yesteryear...

I just wish there was a topic dedicated to our favorite 'beaters', I'm just sure that I am not alone in loving some of those less-fortunate hats of yesteryear...

I believe I've seen such a thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Julie-Tom, DJH, you've got me *ahem* beat, but here's my offering, which looks fine on the outside:
DSCF0841.jpg

but has issues within. The ancient cloth sweatband was so disgusting-looking, even after washing it, that I tore it out, leaving only what you see below. Somehow, it's still comfortable!
DSCF0842.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Got this from a fuzzy ebay picture and a description which listed it in "good" shape. The brim was like this when I got it. The pinch hole, was too, but has grown despite my attempts to shore it up from inside. Someone put a lot of work into trying to "repair" this one.
Shortly after I got it, and seeing its condition, I tried to steam it into at least a little bit better shape- the oilskin behind the sweatband caught on fire from the heat through the felt, causing a bit (though not as much as you'd expect) of sweatband damage in addition to what's obvious with the felt. Not much that can be done to save this one.
IMG_2140.jpg

The only vintage hat I've ever thrown out was a '50s royal stetson that seemed like it had been soaked in grease. Nothing I did to it (and believe me I tried everything) would keep it from leaving rings on anything it was set on, from getting your hands greasy when you touched it. It was like someone had stored it in a big old oil drum.

Last edited:

Cliffnopus

One of the Regulars
Got this from a fuzzy ebay picture and a description which listed it in "good" shape. The brim was like this when I got it. The pinch hole, was too, but has grown despite my attempts to shore it up from inside. Someone put a lot of work into trying to "repair" this one.
Shortly after I got it, and seeing its condition, I tried to steam it into at least a little bit better shape- the oilskin behind the sweatband caught on fire from the heat through the felt, causing a bit (though not as much as you'd expect) of sweatband damage in addition to what's obvious with the felt. Not much that can be done to save this one.
IMG_2140.jpg

The only vintage hat I've ever thrown out was a '50s royal stetson that seemed like it had been soaked in grease. Nothing I did to it (and believe me I tried everything) would keep it from leaving rings on anything it was set on, from getting your hands greasy when you touched it. It was like someone had stored it in a big old oil drum.

I think we just found a new one for Johnny Depp.

Cliff

James71

A-List Customer
These two belong to a mate of mine. He is a sheep farmer and gets his money worth out of hats.

The first is a squatter. The second is an akubra made so long ago we cant find the model.

988cffad.jpg

9eb91c93.jpg

1fa79de5.jpg

9e726488.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner