Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beauty accidents...

Lillemor

One Too Many
I was desperately trying to get Euphoria off me and when it wouldn't wash off I reached for my face astrigent (blue one from Matas, fairly neutral) and now I smell of both Euphoria and astrigent.:rolleyes: Can't wait for hub to come home and greet me.;)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Lillemor said:
I was desperately trying to get Euphoria off me and when it wouldn't wash off I reached for my face astrigent (blue one from Matas, fairly neutral) and now I smell of both Euphoria and astrigent.:rolleyes: Can't wait for hub to come home and greet me.;)

Hehe, that reminds me of my own "accident" a few days ago. I had sampled Mitsouko on my wrist but really hated it, so I scrubbed myself so hard I got a red rash and my wrist is still itchy. To make things worse, I sprayed L'Heure Bleue on top, and ended up with a foul mix of the two perfumes. :p

Lillemor

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
Hehe, that reminds me of my own "accident" a few days ago. I had sampled Mitsouko on my wrist but really hated it, so I scrubbed myself so hard I got a red rash and my wrist is still itchy. To make things worse, I sprayed L'Heure Bleue on top, and ended up with a foul mix of the two perfumes. :p

When I was at Gatwick last year I had the chance to sample a few Guerlain fragrances but they were all horrible on me. I suspect it's not all the fragrances that don't work with my body chemistry but simply that they'd been sitting on their well lit display shelves for too long so I got no real sense of what Shalimar, Samsara and...2 more, really smell like.:rolleyes:

Lenah

New in Town
My best friend was punk. I thought that was cool, was tired of being boring me, and I was also very anti-establishment blablabla - so I bleached my afro (I had also decided to wear my hair natural) blonde - I wanted it platinum blonde like Yazz.

We had to rush, because her Mom was coming home, and wash my hair out early. It turned out this bright orangey clown color!!!! I looked like a clown too, with the orange afro. My family was so embarrassed Hahaha - and even when I dyed it back dark brown, (a couple days later) there was still an orangey shimmer to it, especially after I had relaxed it. It took me forever to grow out. This was in the early 90's, living in Germany, I don't think I would have survived that mistake in the U.S. - LOL

Lillemor

One Too Many
The zit on my lip was big and deep (mentioned on other thread) and hurt so much by midnight that it woke me up. So I presssed some SOS zit stick on and waited for it to loosen and tried to carefully press it out but that didn't work so I pressed harder and finally got it out. Now I've got two scaps on either side of where the zit was.:rolleyes: I've kept it clean, dabbed honey on which I don't know whether is stupid or just useless old household advice and I've only worn sun screen over my lips and no lipstick.

I don't want to hear how well deserving those scaps are! Would someone just please tell me the dos and don'ts and it would be great if you have some advice on how to make scaps on lips heal fast.

I'm eating well balanced, lots of fruits and vegetables, drinking 9-12 cups of green tea a day, I wear sun screen on my lips, I also mentioned I dabbed some honey on and I intend to get a minimum of 8 hours of sleep tonight. What else can I do?

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
I'm something of a beauty disaster. Thank god I can laugh at myself. :)

I've had countless curling iron burns on the forehead, ears and neck, and I poke myself in the eye with a mascara wand about once every six months or so. In high school, I decided to color my light brownish/dirty blondish hair a deep red. I have no idea how, but it wound up jet back. With olive green highlights that glowed under the flourescent lights at school. My best friend's boyfriend called me Olive for months, and the hair got greener and greener as the black faded. My mother and grandmother told me that I had been foolish enough to dye my hair in the first place, I could live with the results... mercifully, it only lasted about 6 weeks.

In college, someone lit my cigarette and set my overly-hairsprayed bangs on fire. I had an area the size of a thumbprint right in the front and center of my forehead burn to a quarter inch-long stubble with crispy ends. One of the guys who worked at the student center patted out the fire before it did any serious damage, but it was scary as hell (and smelled awful to boot).

Just yesterday when I went lipstick shopping on lunch, I bought three new reds and asked the clerk if I could return them if I didn't like them. She said yes, as long as it was within 30 days and I had the receipt. I decided I'd try them all on in my car in the parking lot, so I could bring back anything that didn't work immediately, before I could lose the receipt (or the lipstick). Bad idea. I didn't realize I didn't have any tissues with me until I had put the first color on, which was WAAAAY too bright to wear back to work. I managed to rub it off with a piece of paper I found in my car. Instead of quitting while I was ahead, I tried the other two colors and wound up with slightly swollen, super-red trashy lips. The lipstick didn't want to come off.

As soon as I got back to work I remembered I had a meeting scheduled with a nun....

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
Oh dear, Hazel, I must have been tuned into the bad-lipstick-buying-experience vibes as well. I tried four new ones out and even after repeated washings and even a thorough scouring with apricot scrub, I still have four red patches on the back of my left hand. :eusa_doh:

ShesSoVaVaVoom

One of the Regulars
a few years ago (roughly) I was at Sally Beauty Supply and found an amazing red-red-red lipstick, perfect... so I thought. I put it on in the morning before I went out for the day, and everytime I went to touch it up, it was still there! AWESOME (right?), loving this lipstick! it's pretty, it's long lasting, and only once did I touch it up as I noticed it was getting a little pinkish. well, more than a little pinkish. well the day was through, and there I was in front of the mirror washing my layers off when I toweled off and there was the lipstick, still in tact, however bright PINK! oh no, oh no no no. pulled the tube of lippy out of my make up bag and started to read. "Mood Color Changing Lipstick". :eusa_doh: darn it. maybe it will wear off over night. flash forward to the next evening, by then the bright pink had worn down to a nice pink tint and the lipstick was in the dumpster.

also, when I was a toddler I decided it would be a good idea to climb up onto the sink in the bathroom, and shave my face. however, it was a good thing I noticed that I had no facial hair! except those pesky eyebrows. lol my mom caught me before I was able to shave them both off, lucky her she only had to draw in the one until it grew back!

Inky

One Too Many
Lillemor - i do not think there is anything you can do to make the scabs heal faster, just be patient and don't pick them off!

HazelSmutCrunch - ack - red can be soooo staining and unforgiving - hope the nun forgave you ;)

ShesSoVaVaVoom - i think your eyebrow story is sweet! I can just imagine the look of horror on your mom's face!!

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Reading this thread makes me feel better about my inability to get myself ready. Even the classiest of ladies seem to have their share of beauty foibles.

There have been too many burns to count (curling my hair for my sister's stagette party and ended up with a nasty 2 inch long oozy burn on my neck just in time!) and mascara wands in eyes...also ouch!

but the worst is when i do get mascara in my eye, i usually get it all over my contact lens! so not only am i blinded with pain i'm blinded because my contact is covered in black stuff!! And i have to just keep blinking to get it all off!!!

The things we go through to look good...sheesh! :eusa_doh:

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
This should amuse all you ladies, my family sure got a laugh out of it. I used my Sally whatever Facial Hair Removal cream, and *apparently* It doesn't like my new acne stuff....burned/flaked/whatever my upper lip. I have a flaky red kool aid mustache.:rolleyes:

Lenore

Practically Family
Okay Ladies. You should like this.

Throughout high school I colored (read: bleached) my hair from my natural medium-dark brown to a lighter golden blonde. Well, my senior year I decided over Christmas Break I would color it purple with some temporary dye. All was great until it was time to go back to school. It hadn't washed out (nor would it) and I couldn't go back with purple hair. I decided the best course of action would be to color over it with a darker color. I picked the darkest red permanent color I could find, and spent a Sunday evening bent over my sink. I went to bed with damp hair and woke up to find my hair had turned MAGENTA! Well, a darker magenta but it was dark pink! It was absolutely stunning and beautiful but definitely against the dress code. I went to school anyway, and somehow, through my skills at debate or my stubbornness (who? me? stubborn? nah...) managed to convince the powers that be to let me keep it until it faded. I miss that hair... but yay for happy accidents! LOL

Lillemor

One Too Many
This isn't nice of me at all but right now I'm just trying not so smile at the other posts. There's no malice in it. It's just nice to see that I'm not the only one who "attracts" beauty accidents. Scabs indeed. I've been calling them all sorts of things today and my Danish is no better either.;) I'm over tired and stressed.

Had another beauty accident when some of my facial cleanser irritated the scab so I had to clean it again. *Ouch!*.

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
Helysoune,

Why is it that makeup sticks where you don't want it and fades where you want it to last? Hope the new lipstick comes off your hand soon. :)

PixieGirl

New in Town
When I was in about 10th grade I dyed my hair darkish brown. Then a few weeks later I put red on it. Yeah.....purple hair. For some reason it took forever to fade out and I had to finish the year looking like Barney and Smurffet's love child. I also have a real talent at stabbing myself in the with mascara and liner. Also - and this is not beauty per say...but it's funny...I was playing with my gum and I got myself in the eye with it. That's talent!

Lillemor

One Too Many
*Aarrgh!* It's just an ugly scab now and it was soft and slightly oozing when I came out of the shower last evening and again when I came out of the shower this morning. I clean it with propanol and dab it with honey throughout the day. I really don't want to go on vacation like this. I'd like it to subtantially fade and heal so I can cover it with foundation during the day, in worst case:(

December

One of the Regulars
My worst beauty accident was when I was 11, and my mum had a facial steamer thing.

She said I could have a go and it brought up loads of spots (I didn't often get them). Well, there was nothing wrong with that. Apart from the one right slap bang in the middle of my forehead which scabbed over and grew, and absolutely refused to go away!

I had a massive scab on my head for six months and still have the scar!

Spearmint

New in Town
I can't use liquid eyeliner because it always ends up in my eyes. Haven't stabbed myself with the mascara wand, but when I was getting ready for a dance the cat jumped on the sink and decided he needed attention, rubbed against the arm with the wand and I ended up with a streak of mascara on my forehead it would not wash all the way so I had a grey line on my face all night.

This is partially my fault because I never did anything about it until I was 11, my ma used to have my hair in a mullet, a very curly and at times very very puffy mullet... naturally curly hair with a handful of perms throughout elementary school, I didn't have normal hair until 5th grade. Its been many years since then and people still tease me about that horrid mullet.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lillemor said:
*Aarrgh!* It's just an ugly scab now and it was soft and slightly oozing when I came out of the shower last evening and again when I came out of the shower this morning. I clean it with propanol and dab it with honey throughout the day. I really don't want to go on vacation like this. I'd like it to subtantially fade and heal so I can cover it with foundation during the day, in worst case:(

I find that Neosporin helps things heal much faster!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Boy, I could write a book about beauty blunders. Here are some of my best:

-Burning off my eyebrows with OTC black hair dye, forcing me to draw them on for 2 years;
-Trying to go from black hair to platinum, and ending up with a matted orange, pink, and white mess;
-Singeing the tip of my left ear with a curling iron;
-Stabbing my eyeball with a newly sharpened pencil;
-Having a mild allergic reaction to Lip Venom (and I've already got plump lips!)

This past week, it appears I powdered my nose a little too much, because some powder got into my nose stud - it was so lopsided, it was like a crazed cartoon! I'll watch that from now on :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo