Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beauty accidents...

vintage_jayhawk

One of the Regulars
Aside from the normal incidents, I have one rather embarrasing story. In college I was running late for a final. I threw on a pair of shorts and noticed they were pretty wrinkled. I decided to heat up the iron on it's hottest setting so it would heat up faster. Well, brilliant me decided not to take the shorts off to iron them :eek: I think you can imagine the HUGE burn on the back of my leg. Plus they were pretty short shorts and so every time I sat down for weeks it pressed right on the scab. Still have a scar from that one :eusa_doh:

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Lets see when I first started making my hair red, I wanted to go from my natural almost black to the red I have it now. All I did was turn my hair an awful shade of redish purple. I was bad. It was in high school and my uniform had a maroon polo shirt, that was more toward the purple side. My hair and shirt matched. It sucked.

I have also pucked my eye brows to the point of only having nubs.

Oh and I tried to do an at home waxing for my legs two days before prom, I had an awful rash up my legs it took 3 weeks to go away.

I have also put burns on my forehead more times than I care to admit.

I have also burnt my nose dropping a very hot curling iron. I am still not exactly sure how I did that one.

zombi

A-List Customer
When attempted to wax eyebrows, I made the wax too hot. It burned my skin & peeled it off leaving me with fabulous arched eyebrows.... and thick, painful red scabs ALL the way underneath them!!!

Actually, I tried to have them professionally waxed as well, same thing happened but the wax was even cold -- the lady who did it thought perhaps I was allergic? [huh] So now I just pluck them! Which as well all know, has its own basket of problems....

Lollipop

Familiar Face
Soo many beauty accidents for me...I'm naturally clumsy.

- I've clamped my ear with my VERY, sizzling hot hair straightener, ending with a very scabbed over large burn.
- I've done the whole shoving the Q-tip too far in my ear so much, I'm surprised I'm not deaf.
- And the worst...Was when I decided to Bleach a "peek a boo" highlight under my hair. I KNEW my hair didn't take bleach well(Too much black hair color, HARD to lift.), in fact, Months before I had tried to bleach the whole underneith, and it ended up "mild" overprocessing,:eusa_doh: But this time...I ended up with a very golden blonde, slimey elasticy hair...that ended up breaking off to about my neck(At the time, My hair was past my bum, recently(Couple months ago.) got it cut below my shoulders, So I'm hoping that the breakage will eventually even up faster.)
:eusa_clap < That's what I felt like doing...Clapping at my stupidness.

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
I've one big beauty mistake from the past I can think of. I dyed my hair once from it's natural brown to (temporary) black for Halloween (Egyptian). Unfortunately even after talking to the maker of said dye to ensure my hair color could be reversed, I tried doing that and failed miserably. The black didn't entirely come out, and after several home colorings over the following year I gave up and found a hairstylist that rescued my poor locks. I had black, brown and burgundy hair, though with the right styles I managed to blend the colors together to make it look slightly less freaky.

I've done the overplucking of brows thing too. Now, I hold back on the overplucking, and if I need a reminder I just look at pics of myself with barely there brows.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I've scrubbed some blackheads too hard and I thought it was safe to push them out when I could see them near the surface. Big mistake! I'd tried everything for 9 months and they just wouldn't go away. Prescription creams and all...now I've got these stupid bloody scabs on my cheeks and my hair's a mess but getting a shorter, layered hairstyle now to rescue my hair is out of question! I'll be posting on (probably one of several threads) fading spots soon because I worry about darkened scars.:rolleyes: :(

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Lillemor said:
I've scrubbed some blackheads too hard and I thought it was safe to push them out when I could see them near the surface. Big mistake!

You poor thing! Something similar happened to me, except I was using a pimple vacuum. I had little red dots all over my face for weeks!

Lillemor

One Too Many
C-dot said:
You poor thing! Something similar happened to me, except I was using a pimple vacuum. I had little red dots all over my face for weeks!

Well, your skin looks fine now so there's still hope for me.....hopefully. In worse case, I'll have to invest in some spot fader again and remember to use sun screen every day on my face so I don't get permanent dark spots. If all else fails, I guess I'll ask for concealer recommendations.

Got my hair cut with some clever long layers, especially around my face that conceal the worst spots on my cheeks.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
C-dot said:

The picture to that pimple vacuum is funny. I always scrub at my face with an exfoliater thinking that my skin will be pefect the next day...and usually i end up with a new blemish. i've been doing it for years and i haven't learned that it isn't going to happen! But i finally replaced my zit cream that burnt my face and i'm on the way to beautiful skin!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Oh I know, its completely hilarious. I got rid of it cause I couldn't take it seriously, plus it was impossible to use unless you steamed your skin off first.

I'll never give up my Rachel Perry exfoliators! They're great, it's like sandblasting your skin. I end up with a red face the next day, but its a smooth red face!

Lorena B

Practically Family
C-dot said:
I'll never give up my Rachel Perry exfoliators! They're great, it's like sandblasting your skin. I end up with a red face the next day, but its a smooth red face!
hahaha, same expecience with exfoliators here, but as you say, smooth red face hahahalol

Luna Layne

New in Town
New poster here!

Thankfully, I haven't experimented with hair dye to have encountered bad side effects.

I'm also terrified to do much with my eyebrows other then remove the most obvious stray hairs. They don't have much of an arch so I just hope I can emulate Brooke Shields or Jennifer Connelly's brows :D

A recent photo, wearing the cloche hat I knitted and felted myself. Not too much eye brow to be seen though. Excuse the open mouth and messy dorm room, I'm in mid rant (for therapeutic purposes only, haha) I also neglected to do my hair that day:rolleyes:

(ignore the advertisement)

My beauty blunders involve my skin, and a terrible tendency to pick at blemishes. Oh the scabs I've had to go out in public with...

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
I was clueless about beauty (my appearance, clothes, make-up) until I was a young adult. When I was a teenager I used a strong acne gel. One night I put it on under my make-up before going to the disco. The flourescent lights made the gel glow in the dark! So I had neon zits all night. I feel bad for little me.

I<3Tiki

New in Town
Well, here are my additions to the list:

I decided to get my eyebrows waxed for the very first time the day of or before my 21st birthday. I went to a salon to have it done, but it went terribly wrong. I don't know if the wax took my skin with it or if she used something else and it gave me a chemical burn or allergic reaction, but I was left with big red, raw areas both underneath and above my eyebrows. Even with makeup, you could still see it and of course I was seeing a bunch of friends that night for my birthday. Good thing I was 21.

Now I use a microwave wax to do my eyebrows (no strips) myself and it works fairly well although I still have to touch up with the tweezers. Anyway, there have been a few times that I have gotten a little too much wax on and taken off more than I planned, but they always grow back. The worst, though, was the time it dripped onto my eyelashes and I didn't get it off quickly enough. That was painful to try to remove - your eyelids are more sensitive than you might think.

Have also gotten toothpaste in my eye a few times. That's no fun either.

Berlin

Practically Family
I have sprayed hairspray under my arms instead of deodorant

lol Happens to me too alot. But also overplucking eyebrows and a burned forehead because of a {very} hot curling iron...and..oh not to forget; curled the iron too long in my hair. Well..you can think of the result yourself :eek:

I'm such an elephant in a porcelain closet if it comes to beauty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo