Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beauty accidents...

Lillemor

One Too Many
Thanks, I think we can tend to stare ourselves blind at small flaws we only really notice ourselves. They look more normal now that I'm getting used to looking at them but I still hope they'll grow back because in a timeless context I think that's the best choice and I'd really prefer an era-less brow look.

Sweet Ara D.

New in Town
The Shirt said:
You do crazy things while up for 3 days in the middle of the night at an architecture studio making models. Super glue is one thing - but this was some crazy weird industrial stuff that would stick nearly any 2 substances together in a matter of seconds. We would constantly be cutting our fingers apart from each other, or apart from pieces of balsa wood or chipboard. But I'm pretty sure I was the only one that year that glued myself to my face.:p
I just started reading this thread - it is the funniest/ickiest/scariest thread I have read on here yet!

The Shirt, I went to architecture school too and remember one night in particular that I spent 2 hours of precious model building time washing super glue out of my friend's bangs!!!! - luckily we had the industrail solvent with us! (and then a week later this same friend got gum stuck in her hair and got it all lopped off anyway - sheesh). Super glue is no ones friend (and neither is arch school :)....

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
artful dodgette said:
ok, i think this is one of the worst!!!

my friend i lived with at uni had a shaving accident!

we were all in the garden enjoying some pimms, and she went upstairs to get a shower ready for her date, she was shaving her armpits, and slipped in the shower, ans shaved her nipple off!!!!!!!!!! ouch!

she passed out due to realising what she'd done, we all heard the thud! so our boyfriends had to help us get her out of the shower!

needless to say it has fully grown back! hurrah!:eusa_clap

:confused:

Okay, all of these things are rather unfortunate, but nipple amputation has got to be the most disturbing thing I've read about in a while.

This is more stupidity, I guess, but when I first started experimenting with rollers, I got the brush style, which I should have known would never work for my, ahem, derriere-length hair. I was so excited to try them out when I got home, thinking I would have beautiful Veronica Lake waves...but I just ended up with one (and the only one I tried, thankfully) stuck in my hair waaaay up near the roots. I had to pretty much disembowel the roller by turning it inside out to get the dad blammed thing out of my hair :eusa_doh:

Sunny

One Too Many
StaceFace said:
:confused:

Okay, all of these things are rather unfortunate, but nipple amputation has got to be the most disturbing thing I've read about in a while.

This is more stupidity, I guess, but when I first started experimenting with rollers, I got the brush style, which I should have known would never work for my, ahem, derriere-length hair. I was so excited to try them out when I got home, thinking I would have beautiful Veronica Lake waves...but I just ended up with one (and the only one I tried, thankfully) stuck in my hair waaaay up near the roots. I had to pretty much disembowel the roller by turning it inside out to get the dad blammed thing out of my hair :eusa_doh:

My goodness! I've got long hair and it's so easy to turn those rollers into a huge snarl! (On another note, do you still have hair that length, and how do you do vintage styles with it? I'm always wanting new ideas! You can PM me if you prefer. :))

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
You know, I also got one of those round brushes stuck in my hair as a kid. You would think I would've learned a lesson :rolleyes: . And then there was the time I shaved my arms when I was 9... lol

PM'd

Bubble Cheeks

New in Town
Once I was putting Nair on my upper lip. Some of the Nair splattered from the bottle into my eyeball and started to burn like CRAZY. The pain was intense. My parents happened to be visiting me for Thanksgiving at the time, thank goodness. This was years ago, before I met my husband, and I otherwise might have been home alone. Dad called 911. They told him to hold my eye under a running faucet, and that they would be on their way.

They arrived to find Dad doing as he was told, and it was so freaky to see and feel that water coming right at my eye. I was rushed to the hospital, and even though the waiting room was filled with people who cut or burned themselves making a turkey that night, they did not make me wait one single second. First they did this test with a dye and a strange light to check for any scratches. Then they had to lay me on this inclined bed so that my feet were wayyyyy up and my head was way down. They put this thing in my eye that looked like a thick enormous contact lens, with a tube coming out of one side. They put that in my eye, and the tube led to a bag of saline solution. They irrigated my eye like this, and went through 3 big bags of saline this way. My hair and ears and shoulders and the back of my head got soaked.

Then they sent me home in the wee hours of the morning, with an eye patch on. My eye was swollen shut for days, and felt very sticky and strange. I had to put these special drops in it for a week or two, and it was absolutely miserable.

And that was our Thanksgiving. :(

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Bubble Cheeks said:
Once I was putting Nair on my upper lip. Some of the Nair splattered from the bottle into my eyeball and started to burn like CRAZY. The pain was intense. My parents happened to be visiting me for Thanksgiving at the time, thank goodness. This was years ago, before I met my husband, and I otherwise might have been home alone. Dad called 911. They told him to hold my eye under a running faucet, and that they would be on their way.

They arrived to find Dad doing as he was told, and it was so freaky to see and feel that water coming right at my eye. I was rushed to the hospital, and even though the waiting room was filled with people who cut or burned themselves making a turkey that night, they did not make me wait one single second. First they did this test with a dye and a strange light to check for any scratches. Then they had to lay me on this inclined bed so that my feet were wayyyyy up and my head was way down. They put this thing in my eye that looked like a thick enormous contact lens, with a tube coming out of one side. They put that in my eye, and the tube led to a bag of saline solution. They irrigated my eye like this, and went through 3 big bags of saline this way. My hair and ears and shoulders and the back of my head got soaked.

Then they sent me home in the wee hours of the morning, with an eye patch on. My eye was swollen shut for days, and felt very sticky and strange. I had to put these special drops in it for a week or two, and it was absolutely miserable.

Oh no, Bubble Cheeks :( . The worst thing that has happened to me while using Nair is...it not working lol . Which, for me, is bad. I can't believe that getting it in your eye would be so serious. I'm glad you didn't lose your vision.

:eek:fftopic: My husband and I spent this past July 4th in the emergency waiting room because he flew over the handlebars of a bicycle and split his chin open. You would think that, at 23, he'd have long passed this stage :p .

androidpop

New in Town
I was at Drive Invasion (car show/ music fest in ATL), it was my first trip with my boyfriend (now husband ;) ). People usually camp at this one, and we decided to camp one night (big mistake..) instead of staying at the hotel. Well my friend had this GREAT gel eyeliner by l'oreal, and since i usually use the mac version i thought HEY I CAN DO THIS NO PROB! So, Im in the community bathroom with all these beautiful ladies putting on their makeup perfectly and I had just finished my eyeshadow (I usually use tasteful blues and pearl whites to accent my brown eyes) and it looked great!

Then came the HIP eyeliner.

I was hungover a little so I was kinda shakey- I put the brush to my eye, make a swoop and did my right eye perfectly. As most of you know once this stuff sets, its SET, and no amount of scrubbing with water (which was all i had.) will get it off. I start on my left eye, first stroke was good, THEN I couldn't get it to match my right eye, on top of trying to get them both even somehow i got it under my eye. So im scrubbing and scrubbing while all these girls are looking at me.

to make a short story long, topped with blue eyeshadow, i looked like I had two black eyes for most of the day- so I didn't take my sunglasses off. haha!
If you must camp, bring makeup wipes. lol

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
Bubble Cheeks said:

OMG, that's horrid! But you know what? It makes for a grand story!

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Bubble Cheeks said:

OMG Bubble!!! I'm glad you're okay! That sounds horrible...That makes me think of my brother...he one time, was using a blow-torche on one his cars, and burned his retina. He had to use the drops, as well. He saw a blue haze for a few days following.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
One Saturday morning I was on my way to get my gel nails refilled.

I parked my car and picked up the security thing I used across the steering wheel (before I ponied up the $$ for an actual alarm system!), my middle fingernail got caught underneath it, and the whole nail, apart from half a centimetre at the bottom ripped off the nail bed!

I didnt notice it at first, but as I walked down the street to the appointkment it felt hot and sore - which is when I noticed it! The nail tech. had never seen anything like it!

To cut a long story short....she cut the nail off at the tip of my finger, and told me we had to hope the nail either adhered back to the nail bed, or the nail grew up normally.

So for about 6 weeks I was continually using antiseptic, bandages and kept cutting my nail down.

It all grew back to normal, and eventually it just high enough for a new tip!

The worst part about it all was I didnt have a beautiful set of 10 nails anymore! :eusa_doh:

BombshellBella

Familiar Face
I still dont know how this happened exactly, but I was using a Revlon eye lash curler and my lashes got stuck in the curler. When I let the curler go my eye lid hung low, it was scary!! Anyway, I managed to get it out loosing a couple lashes in the process. HORRIBLE EVENT!!! I switched to the shu umera curler, MUCH BETTER!!

Another time, in high school, I thought I would do a reverse perm myself, Im not even sure there was such a thing as a reverse perm, but I wanted to make my naturally wavey hair straight... so..... I combed in the perm solution, and to my horror, my hair started to clump together and stretch... SCARY!!

Now, I leave it to the professionals!

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
These stories are giving me the chills. lol

My story would be a duct tape incident. I once wrapped duct tape around my stomach(I had just had my son and felt horrible about myself), to suck in my gut. I didn't think about what it would be like, when I took it off. Yeah, good times.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
This certainly won't send shivers down anyone's spine like some of the previous posts (RIP to the nipple of artful dodgette's friend, by the way:eek:), but years back, I worked in retail and went on a buying trip with the woman who owned the store. We shared a hotel room and got up before dawn to hit the fashion mart. All morning, I was getting a lot of lingering looks, but continued to work, thinking I must be looking pretty good what with all the attention directed my way. Not until I went to the restroom a few hours later did I notice I had green eyebrows. In the dark, pre-dawn light, instead of a brown brow pencil, I'd grabbed a metallic green pencil and did my brows with that color.:eusa_doh: My boss didn't say anything to me because she thought I was being "avant garde." :eek:

BombshellBella

Familiar Face
^^that gave me a chuckle... I love the "avante garde" comment, how funny, what funny lady.

But atleast you have a great story. Its like walking aroudn with lipstick on your teeth.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
About a month ago, I was curling someone else's hair, and I burned my finger badly. I have a matching burn mark on another finger, but that was from a George Forman Grill. [huh]

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I have turned my hair the color of a glass of wine. It happened back in highschool when I had to wear a maroon shirt ever day to school that same color. I was dying it red like I had been for about a year and thought this new color was a good idea. Nope it wasn't I didn't turn out having my usual beautiful shade of Rita Hayworth red nope it was the color of wine I wanted to cry, oh wait I did.

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
hmm,i dunno about this,its kinda stupid and im probably going to get a million replies saying"pssh,what an idiot"

so,there was this one time i got some hairdye,and i didn't know it was really high in ammonia,fast forward to the mixing, well i started mixing the dye with the developer,and i felt really dizzy,and blacked out because of the ammonia. i woke up on the couch with my boyfriend staring at me like "o my god she's dead!" and i was covered in black dye,and my lungs felt like they were on fire,and worst of all,my eyes were red and my nose was swollen. haha,ammonia is the worst.

and then,when i was 6 i glued fake nails on myself with super glue,my lovely mother ran my hands under 350 degree water to try to get them off,didn't work.so it was a hospital trip for me,and these were really ugly nails that were halloween ones my aunt used.eek.

and then,one day i was putting on my make-up and doing the eyeliner on the bottom part of my eye,and i get deep in the lash line, and my cat decided to jump on me while i was doing that....there went a huge chunk of my eye. it kinda grew back though,in its weird gooey eye way.

Tallulah

New in Town
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Once, when washing my face, I got a little overzealous, poked my pinkie up my nose and scratched the inside so badly it bled! It hurt like hell and was too hilarious for any of my friends to give me any sympathy!

....you are not alone....;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR