Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beauty Bargains

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd be careful with Retin A. For me, it makes me break out badly for a few months, then once it starts making my skin clear, it makes it extremely sensitive and flakey. Ugh. I was on it for years, went of it, then tried to go back on it and couldn't stand it. Ugh! I hate the stuff.

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
PS said:
Do I need to see a dermn go get Retin A? Or can I ask my regular dr. at my next appointment? Dare I say I want it for wrinkles or do I say pimples?

You can get it from your primary care doctor...no need to see a derm. However, insurance won't cover it for "wrinkles". When I used to use it, it was for acne. However if you are over 30 (like me), it may require documentation that it is for acne before it will be covered. Under 30, you're good to go.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Maybelline line definer, meant as an eye liner, I use the bronze version for my eye brows ;) at 4.99 pounds.

Elite lip pencil at 5.00 pounds, not much of a variety in terms of shades available in the UK, but I use their shade of red and prefer it to the Red Diva mentioned on this site.

I am also looking at Prestige for lip pencils and liners, they are 3.99 pounds and come in a variety of shades that I really like, a couple of these will be my next buy.
I prefer lip pencils that are not too hard on the lips and properly pigmented. A lot of cheap and expensive brands have really hard pencils and you have to press to death your poor lips to get color on them, and I'd rather not hurt myself:) . I know a lot of make up artists say the lip pencil needs to have a firm tip, and I agree something buttery won't do the job, however I like a nice compromise that gives a color and contour that will stay in place while being easy to draw.

BlancheDubois

Familiar Face
Max Factor Pan-Stik works well for me as a concealer. I use the lightest shade, Nude Ivory 121, for this purpose. It's a bit too yellow for me to use as a foundation shade, but is very good as a concealer. There was a coupon in last Sunday's paper "Buy One Max Face Product Get One Free" so I'm quite well stocked up now.

jacqueline101

New in Town
I like Mary Kay Cosmetics MySelf.

I like the way they have the mineral foundation. I dont know why i just love it and the cranberry lip gloss of theirs. Cranberry is almost like a wine colored.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
BombshellBella said:
I tried the monistat chafing relief gel powder cream as primer and it is AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGG... thanks so much for the recommendation.

I recently started using this after reading about it on another forum, and I'm seriously impressed. I wear either Kiehl's tinted moisturizer, or Bare Escentuals powdered mineral foundation, and I like to use primer sometimes when I wear the BE. I alternate between Smashbox Photo Finish and Laura Mercier, but for $4/tube the Monistat is quite comparable to Smashbox and honestly a little more mattifying - great for Texas summers. I'm a big fan.

Lately I'm all about L'Oreal's Everpure hair care line. I love the moisture line - sulfate free, and really holds color.

Pears glycerin soap is a vintage goodie, and I usually find it at Dollar Tree for $1/bar. It is extremely gentle, I've used it to wash my face. I think Vermont Country Store also sells it, but on their site it is $15 for a 3-pack!

Also on the other forum I found a couple of links to "dupes" - basically inexpensive drugstore products that are the same or very close to higher-end products. I hope it is okay to post these links here.

MAC products: http://beautybroadcast.blogspot.com/2009/03/mac-dupes-forum.html

http://inexpensivebeauty.weebly.com/drugstore-and-etailer-dupes.html

http://mmlindependant.livejournal.com/

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I just bought Huggies baby wipes to use as makeup remover sheets. $3 and very effective! I got the tip in a magazine. :)

I use baby wipes on my doggie when she comes in from walkies. She always smells good :)

LD

MissHannah

One Too Many
Waitrose in the UK make a lovely moisturiser which is actually for babies - it's called Baby Bottom Butter :eek: and is only £2.30

It only has 4 ingredients: Olive Oil, Hydrogenated Olive Oil, Vanilla Extract and Chamomile Oil. It smells fabulous and has a nice waxy texture so you only need to use a tiny amount, but it's great for arms and legs etc. I used it on my face for a week or two but it wasn't as good as Nivea!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I make my own facial scrub, a 50/50 mix of dark brown sugar and baking soda. I store it in a jar in my shower, and just scoop out what I need and mix with a touch of water. Works like a charm! The darker brown sugar is supposed to contain a very small amount of glycolic acid.

You can also just use plain baking soda for a gentler scrub, or add ground oats or cornmeal (although I would personally not use the cornmeal on my face, maybe arms/legs) for a stronger scrub. Crushed aspirin adds salicylic acid if your skin is acne prone, and you do not have an aspirin allergy.

miss_killin

Familiar Face
GoldLeaf said:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=12862

First, take all your "acne" products and hide them somewhere. I couldn't throw them out right away because they were my safety net. If you have anything that has Salicylic Acid or benzyol peroxide, stick it in a drawer! If you use a harsh exfoliator, hide it away! (like an apricot scrub).

Next, buy Pond's Cold Cream! Yes, it has mineral oil and beeswax, but it works! I use it at night and rub it off with a warm wash cloth to exfoliate.

You also need a toner that doesn't have alcohol in it. Most ladies swear by witch hazel, but I couldn't find any, so I have been using Nivea Visage Alcohol-Free Moisturizing Toner with Chamomile & Aloe. Its gentle and moisturizing.

Follow that up with a good moisturizer. Most of us recommend one with a sunscreen. I use Oil of Olay Complete.

If I remember, at night I have been using Olay Night of Olay Firming Cream. I am 30 but don't have the crow's feet yet, so I just wanted a little extra but without going over the top.

This has made all the difference in the world. I have since thrown out all my harsh products (I kept a spot treatment, just in case). But the toner and the lotion and scrub and wash with salicylic Acid are gone!

Give the cold cream a try. It's 8 bucks, what do you have to loose? :D

I am all over this idea! I recently purchased proactive and its cleared a bit but I'm still breaking out and have acne scarring. I dream of clear smooth skin *sigh*

Spiffy

A-List Customer
The best blotting papers in the world are absolutely free:
Starbuck's (or Dunkin Donuts) napkins, the brown paper, recycled kind. I always steal some extra when I grab a coffee.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I'm in love with the Loreal True Match foundation. I'm super pale, and the W1 Porcelain works perfectly for my skin tone. I used to only use Coty powder, but since I've had a bout with bad skin for the few months and have been left with discolored spots and an uneven skintone, I needed a little more coverage. I think it's about $7.

miss_killin

Familiar Face
My hands have been unbearably dry, red, cracked and painful. I was searching for the cocoa butter stick recommended at Walgreens yesterday to help me survive until my dermatologist appt. Then I came across this guy for .99

308222.jpg

I picked it up (mainly because of the adorable little disc design), slathered it on last night and woke up this morning with my hands almost healed!

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
BlancheDubois said:
Max Factor Pan-Stik works well for me as a concealer. I use the lightest shade, Nude Ivory 121, for this purpose. It's a bit too yellow for me to use as a foundation shade, but is very good as a concealer. There was a coupon in last Sunday's paper "Buy One Max Face Product Get One Free" so I'm quite well stocked up now.

SO, I have heard ladies mention how much they love this foundation and I remember back in high school I was in the musical "Grease" and I purchased their old pancake foundation (they no longer make it, it came in a large round compact with a screw on top) and I really liked the way it looked and felt on stage. I thought about this today when I was making a few minor purchases and stopped in front of the Max Factor display. So at $8, I said "what the hey" and decided to buy a stick.

I am actually really impressed. I have about 8 personal foundations from different brands (all either professional or "higher end" brands) and this is comparable to my Gerda Spillman foundation (the foundation of choice for the makeup artists on the set of American Idol).

What I actually like better about the PanStick is that it gives a natural matte finish while the Gerda Spillman tends to get oily throughout the day...and with the warmer weather I need something that will stay matte.

I love that I can throw this in my purse and if I don't have time to do my makeup at home, I can put a streak on my forehead, cheeks, nose and chin, blend with a sponge, apply a little mascara and lipstick and in about 4 minutes my face is done!

Thank you ladies for the recs! I never recommend drugstore brand makeup but I can honestly put my stamp of approval on this lovely foundation :)

BlancheDubois

Familiar Face
Rebecca,

I'm so glad to know that you tried the Pan-Stik and liked it. Max Factor Pan-Cake is still available on drugstore.com.

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
BlancheDubois said:
Rebecca,

I'm so glad to know that you tried the Pan-Stik and liked it. Max Factor Pan-Cake is still available on drugstore.com.

Thank you Blanche :) I am quite excited that they still have the Pan-Cake makeup! I see it's also BOGO so off to shopping I go ;)

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Mavala nailpolishes! Great sizes, they never get thick and their lasting power is great! My favorite colors are London (bright red), Bordeaux and New Dehli (darker blood red).

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
fortworthgal said:
I make my own facial scrub, a 50/50 mix of dark brown sugar and baking soda. I store it in a jar in my shower, and just scoop out what I need and mix with a touch of water. Works like a charm! The darker brown sugar is supposed to contain a very small amount of glycolic acid.

You can also just use plain baking soda for a gentler scrub, or add ground oats or cornmeal (although I would personally not use the cornmeal on my face, maybe arms/legs) for a stronger scrub. Crushed aspirin adds salicylic acid if your skin is acne prone, and you do not have an aspirin allergy.

I have a similar one...
I find that almond meal is the best scrub for blackheads, it seems to bleach out the oxidized oil as it scrubs, and since the dark part is actually oxidization...it works great.
I usually mix it half and half with fructose crystals, they are a little stronger in the glycolic acid. Just mix it together in equal portions, keep it in a sealed container in the bathroom. Take about a teaspoon full and gently rub it on your wet face, the sugar will melt off dead skin and the almond meal scrubs and lightens.
I have also used crushed aspirin as a mask on a breakout overnight and it helps a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner