Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beauty Bargains

Missymoo

New in Town
You were all so right!

First post and I couldn't be more thrilled :D Last night, I used Ponds cold cream and Lizziemaine's suggestion of St Ives Collagen-Elastin moisturizer. I've woken up this morning and my skin is soft, full and firm! My crow's feet are less obvious already and a few acne scars are much less obvious :eusa_clap .

Thankyou ladies!

JennyLou

Practically Family
I love these two products:Loreal nail polish in rendevous, maybelline colorstay lipcolor in wine.

I do buy items that can cost more than $10 but I'm very good at finding bargains so I always get them for cheap.

I'm so awful at finding the right makeup and colors for my face. For example I still haven't found a foundation that I like. I use physicians formula mineral face powder but I'm afraid to try others because I tried another brand once and it cause me to have more acne and I usually don't have the extra bucks to try new things.

CherryKrissy

Familiar Face
I found this at my local walmart for $10 (and 47 cents, but it's close!)
small_wax_precision.png

Sorry for the small pictures, it's the only one I could get to work from there web site. It's a precision wax tube. You heat it in hot tap water, squish a little to the end of the tube and apply directly to the area you need to wax. It worked really well for me (I did my eyebrows for the first time ever at home :eek: ) And if you get it in the wrong spot, it wipes right off with just water! It usually costs me about $10 to have my eyebrows done, so it's already paid itself off!

Missymoo

New in Town
For all the british girls, I've found Nova Ultra Hold hairspray in superdrug for 95 pence. It held "Rosie the riveter" in place all day (even during an outdoor lunch in a breeze). A great big 450ml can too!

olive bleu

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
I use baby wipes on my doggie when she comes in from walkies. She always smells good :)

LD

That is the best tip ever!! I have been keeping an old towel by the front door to wipe my Labs big 'ol feet, but it gets so dirty..great idea!:)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
This was suggested by someone on another forum I'm on:

1. Use any brand toothpaste (not gel) you want. I take the toothbrush with the toothpaste on the head, dip it into the baking soda so it covers the whole surface.

2. Brush for 2 minutes, make sure no swallowing occurs. Do not spit out yet.

3. take a capful of hydrogen peroxide, swish around mouth for 30 secs. It should start foaming in your mouth. Then brush again for 1 minute.

4. Spit everything out. Make sure you DO NOT swallow any of the peroxide!

5. Do not drink wine,coffee,coke, or anything that stains for at least 12 hours.

Use diluted peroxide (1 part peroxide to 4 parts water) as a mouthwash every few days to maintain.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Between nightly applications of Terminator (in a florescent orange tube, from Ulta) acne cream and morning applications of Cocoa Butter (the huge dollar store kind), my blackheads and acne scars are slowly disappearing. Hurrah!
After all the money and time I've spent trying to get my skin to clear, it's a relief that the solution was less than $10.

I love huge tubs of cheap cocoa butter and use it on everything from sunburns to grooming my eyebrows to undereye cream.

PS

A-List Customer
I want to try Coty Airspun. I had some years and years ago but the color was never a good match. I've seen mention of Coty Airspun FF, what is the FF?
How do I choose my best color?

Coopsgirl

New in Town
I saw this on another thread and I can vouch for it as I’ve been doing it for months ever since I found the tip in one of my old Photoplay mags from 1935. Just pour a little olive oil (you can guy a big jar for just a few bucks) in a bowl and warm in the microwave 20-30 seconds and soak your nails in it for about 5 minutes then rub the oil in a little and wipe it off. I like to paint my nails regularly and they tend to get a little dry so I do this ever so often and it keeps them in good shape.

If you have really dry skin, pat a little warm water on it, not too much b/c you just want to slightly dampen your face. Then rub Vaseline on it. Leave on as long as you can stand it and then gently wipe off (I usually use toilet paper and then a face wipe). I use a moisturizer everyday but if my skin gets extra dry this is a good quick fix.

I also buy the store brand of face wipes from Walmart and you get two big packages bundled together for about $4-5 bucks and they’ll last for a couple months depending on how many you use daily (I only use 1 or 2). They work just as well as the name brands and you can either get them plain or with a slightly rougher exfoliating texture.

I also love the Clean & Clear Soft in Shower Facial for about $7. It says ‘STEAM’ in big letters on it so that makes it easy to spot on the shelf. I use it every Saturday night when I take a shower. It’s an exfolitator and you just let the steam in your shower open up your pores and then put it on and rub it around then rinse off. I have sensitive acne prone skin and usually using a grainy or gritty exfoliant will make it worse but it’s the best way to remove dead skin so I thought I’d give this a try. I’ve been using it for a few months and it works great. It doesn’t make me break out (probably b/c I only use it once a week) and it leaves my skin soft and smooth. I wouldn’t recommend this though if you currently have any pimples as it will probably be too rough unless you can just avoid those areas.

Yesterday I picked up L’Oreal Bare Naturals Luminous Lengthening Mascara in black brown at Walmart for about $8 and it’s amazing!! I haven’t worn mascara in years b/c the feel of anything on my lashes drives me crazy. Usually I wear light eyeshadows and just curl my lashes and that’s enough to make them stand out a little but I recently got a darker green shade and my lashes needed something to make them stand out. This product descriptions says it is safe for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers, it’s fiber and paraben free, flakeproof, and water resistant. It feels very light and like I have nothing on my lashes but they look darker and more defined than when I go bare.

Inky

One Too Many
Dixie_Amazon said:
This week Walgreens has Jean Naté After Bath Splash (30 oz.), Silkening Body Powder (6 oz.) and Body Lotion (30 oz.) on sale for 2/$15.

oohh, i love Jean Naté! It reminds me of my great grandmother, who wore it all the time, and nothing is more refreshing on a hot summer day than a splash of Jean Naté after a shower. Must get some!! thanks!

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
Inky said:
oohh, i love Jean Naté! It reminds me of my great grandmother, who wore it all the time, and nothing is more refreshing on a hot summer day than a splash of Jean Naté after a shower. Must get some!! thanks!
I put some in a spray bottle and keep it the fridge. It humid here and the temp is supposed to get up to 98 degrees. :eek:

anabolina

A-List Customer
PS said:
Do I need to see a dermn go get Retin A? Or can I ask my regular dr. at my next appointment? Dare I say I want it for wrinkles or do I say pimples?

I know you posted this, like 3 months ago, but I'll answer it anyway. Yep, you need a doctor to prescribe Retin-a. There are many different versions and the derm can tell you which one you should use. Also, if you are too old, the insurance may not cover it (I'm 27 and it's not covered anymore for me). I order from India and it works out to $10 with shipping vs. more than $200 to buy it without insurance. Of course, its an older formulation than the one my doctor prescribes, but it still works to clear up my acne and I haven't noticed any worsening lines like I had with Tazorac.

I also second the peroxide mouthwash. It really brightens my smile, although it tastes really funky.

Also the Collagen-Elastin Moisturizer from St. Ives breaks me out any time I try it, so if you have acne-prone skin, you may want to give it a pass.

I just discovered the Clean and Clear Make up Dissolving Foaming Cleanser and its really good. Cleans my face without drying it out or breaking it out. Its the one in the purple bottle.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
PS said:
I want to try Coty Airspun. I had some years and years ago but the color was never a good match. I've seen mention of Coty Airspun FF, what is the FF?
How do I choose my best color?
FF is fragrance free. It still has a fragrance but I guess it's not as strong as others. I use the translucent powder and it seems to cover pretty well.

anabolina

A-List Customer
You know, I love this thread, so I keep coming back to it when I find something cheap that actually impresses me.

So, I'm going out of town tomorrow and wanted to pick up a couple of cheap things at Dollar Tree and for the first time, I bought face makeup there. Usually its way to dark, so I'm not even tempted. For reference, I wear NW20 in MAC.

I got the L. A. Colors Concealer in Nude and its pretty awesome. I'm big on concealers since I have horrible undereye circles so when I see a new one for cheap, I pick it up. It's texture is pretty creamy for a liquid concealer, but it doesn't crease on me or settle into my lines. It also covers the circles very well for a liquid concealer. It doesn't irritate my eyes either. Anyway, so you can't beat it for $1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner