Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beaver Brand impressions?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
So, Beaver Brand does actually have a 100% beaver hat. The bad news is that it costs nearly $500!

While the "build your own hat" options on the site are clever, I wonder who would buy something like this, rather than go to one of the many custom hatters?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I was perusing John Helmers site up in Portland and came across a Beaver Brand OR style called the River Runner and was wondering if any folks here either HAVE this hat or have SEEN it ? For the price and description it looks like a nice alternative to the "Aussie thing" to get an OR styled hat in different colors than what Stetson/HATCO offers :)

http://johnhelmer.com/prod.itml/icOid/35

Onward thru the Fog :)

warbird

One Too Many
Well this one was a link to a fedora, but I see on their website many of their all beaver hats are westerns. You will find this is probably in line with many other all beaver manufacturers. Fact is most western hat buyers pay a whole lot more than that for a custom made all beaver hat. That is the standard that most of those buyers are used to paying and the market sets the prices I suppose. Many custom all beaver hats go for $900 to well over a thousand dollars. A couple of the hat makers here who make westerns, like Mike Moore, are extraordinary deals in comparison. Mike wants people to have nice hats, not just a select few.

It kind of goes back to a issue brought up in another thread about cost and how good a hat is from a hatter. I have felt the hats of some of the best known hatter in the country, ones that cost a huge amount for that buyer. I have handled Mike's all beaver hats. His are as good and as well made as theirs. But, his name isn't out there yet like of of those guys. Mainly they live out west and have been known for quite a while. In the end though they don't have some special blank no one else can get. Most of them are using the same quality felt as the next guy. That said, there are a few who have found a source to get blanks from inferior felters overseas somewhere. But for the most part they are getting their blanks from the same sources. But, they are getting a grand or more for their hats all the same and if people are willing to pay it, why not. Fortunately here we know there are alternatives.

Custom fedora buyers are used to a certain limit and that limit in general is no where close to the limit for custom westerns. Beaver Brands probably considers their hats a deal in comparison, even to some other mas made hats and their costs. It does cost more for a western hat body, there is more felt for a bigger hat and the felt is thicker. But the cost is not that much more. But the difference is the market will bear more and it is true most customers are not aware of the options from lesser known hatters who make as good a product. Granted not everyone making hats out there makes as good a hat either. Some are better than others. Buyer beware.

You have to do your homework and know of the rep of the hatter or company making a hat to know what you are getting. Now, knowing this especially for western hat fans, but hats wearers in general you are getting able to get a heck of a deal from vendors here.

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
:arated: to Warbird's comment, especially his comments about Mike Moore. A great man who makes great hats at great prices!

I've looked extensively at Beaver Brand's catalogue. I can't find anything there I couldn't have custom-made for less. Nevertheless, they do carry some very appealing stock factory models (particularly in their west/old west collection).

barrowjh

One Too Many
Solution to usdiver's problem with the stiff crown not fitting right - I had that problem with this 100% beaver BB -
051009012.jpg

051009011.jpg

The fit had always been just a little loose at the temple. So, while I had the tea kettle out and was shaping a couple of recent ebay westerns, I decided to try this - steam along the base of the crown around the front of the hat - basically, on the exterior side of the hat right where your forehead fits - then quickly put it to your head, spread your fingers to hold the hat tight to your forehead and around both sides past the temples. This should not be too hot to stand, since the steam was applied to the exterior of the hat (never steam the sweatband!!!). Have someone hold the door while you walk out into sub-freezing weather and hold that hat still against your forehead, let it cool down there, until your arms get tired and you have to let up. Carefully remove the hat and let it really cool down in the cold. The stiffener in the felt, if steamed and conformed to your head and then cooled to 'set' - will now hold that form and enable the hat to fit better than it did before.

Last edited:

Neophyte

You know, for all I've said about Beaver Brand, Barrow, you've proved to me that they are still a quality product. THAT HAT LOOKS AMAZING!!!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Have someone hold the door while you walk out into sub-freezing weather and hold that hat still against your forehead, let it cool down there, until your arms get tired and you have to let up.

Perfect freezing evening for that little job :D
I agree with Neophyte too, that is a very nice looking hat. The beaver liner is rather cool.

barrowjh

One Too Many
I only have this one other picture I can post until I take more -
051009008.jpg

Thefedorastore had a father's day sale two years ago where they put a limited run of these at just $265 - for 100% beaver - thanks to the fact that the limited offering did include this one color, a medium brown, I jumped on it. I wish it could have come with a brim wider than just 2 1/2 inch, but otherwise it is a very nice hat. Due to the stiffness of the felt (and I did not request any additional stiffener, which is an option) it will never fit as well as a 'work of Art' purchased about that same time, but the feel of the felt is definitely beaver, a slick softness in spite of the stiffener.

Lloyd

A-List Customer
I've got a Peluche on order from Beaver Brand. I sent them a message asking about Peluche hats and the said they were not currently offering one but would be glad to make one to my specs. I agree that for the price I'd normally go custom but I don't know any custom hatters offering anything like the Peluche or Grand Beaver finishes.

I was perusing John Helmers site up in Portland and came across a Beaver Brand OR style called the River Runner and was wondering if any folks here either HAVE this hat or have SEEN it ? For the price and description it looks like a nice alternative to the "Aussie thing" to get an OR styled hat in different colors than what Stetson/HATCO offers :)

http://johnhelmer.com/prod.itml/icOid/35

Onward thru the Fog :)

This got discussed many moons ago but nobody has taken the plunge, bought one & put up a review. Miller Hats used to have a model called the Douglas that looked to be the same but had a teardrop crease & not the cattleman one like this one. Nobody ever reported getting that model either. A western store up the road a piece from me has an old hatter there that carries Beaver Brand & had some OR clones. These were STIFF both brim & crown like a modern Stetson OR. This old hatter claimed these OR clones were as close to the one LBJ wore since LBJ was a friend of his dad's back in Texas & he knew the exact features of his Resistols....He is a character to say the least....

Neophyte

Ooooh I've been lusting for a black OR-style ever since I learned that Akubra used to offer the CD in black. This River Runner may have to be my next hat.

Neophyte

I know you do Deputy. I saw the one with the red ribbon once...my favorite OR on the Lounge so far.

For all my techno-savvy, the workings of eBay and PayPal elude me. I have to get my younger brother to help me, which is embarrassing since I'm barely 20 lol.

1961MJS

I know you do Deputy. I saw the one with the red ribbon once...my favorite OR on the Lounge so far.

For all my techno-savvy, the workings of eBay and PayPal elude me. I have to get my younger brother to help me, which is embarrassing since I'm barely 20 lol.

Gettin' old is hell ain't it Neo? Just wait... I kind of think an OR sized hat from a custom maker might be a good deal.

Later

Neophyte

It sure is :D!

Hmmm...a custom black OR....how has that never crossed my mind!?!? :eusa_doh:
I think you just solved my custom western conundrum, MJS! Thanks!

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
Sorry for going off topic but I received an Akubra yesterday that has a wind cord. At least that's what I think it is. It has a button at one end. How does it work?

Neophyte

Pull it up so that the entire loop comes off the hat. Pull it taut and thread the button through the button hole on your button up shirt or the lapel of your coat. Just add wind!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy