Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Becoming Jane

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I know, a simplistic third-rate Austen biopic pastiche chick flick...
But I love Jane Austen, and Anne Hathaway is a knockout. I must see this. :)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
"I know, a simplistic third-rate Austen biopic pastiche chick flick..."

They did a ton of them in the 1930s (The Barretts of Wimpole Street springs to mind). The costumes may draw me in too.

Novella

Practically Family
I watched this when it came out in England. It's an okay, watchable film. James McAvoy was about the only thing that kept me interested in it though (and just in a shallow way). Mansfield Park (not the new one, but the 1999 one) is leaps and bounds better, and from what I understand has elements very loosely based off Austen's life.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Harp said:
I know, a simplistic third-rate Austen biopic pastiche chick flick...
But I love Jane Austen, and Anne Hathaway is a knockout. I must see this. :)

I know, I feel the same way. But I'll probably break down and give in to temptation just to watch men in Regency tight pants. lol

texasgirl

One Too Many
I saw this movie over the weekend. I thought it was excellent! Anne Hathaway does a great British accent. The dresses were not too over the top for a struggling family, but beautiful too. The story was interesting, though I don't know how true it was. It reminded me a bit of Shakespeare in Love, as far as telling a bit about the author, but I'm sure they took liberties to make it entertaining. I do think they could have gotten a better Tom (James McAvoy), the man she falls for. It bugged me he didn't sound Irish. But overall I thought it was very enjoyable.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I saw this today so I'll add my two cents.

I thought Anne Hathaway did a decent job but I couldn't stop thinking that she looked much more like a Bronte sister than an Austen one! I loved James McAvoy--charm to spare that boy has. Wonderful acting by all the supporting players--James Cromwell (who looked like he'd stepped out of a period painting), Julie Walters, Maggie Smith, Ian Richardson and Laurence Fox.

Like most modern movies I thought you could have cut 15-30 minutes (especially the epilogue) but I wasn't looking at my watch by any means.

I thought the cinematography was some of the most beautiful I've seen--the film is really a feast for the eyes. The costumes were good, I liked it that older characters wore clothes that weren't at the height of fashion.

All in all, well worth seeing as a confection rather than a strict biopic.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Bronte

imoldfashioned said:
I saw this today so I'll add my two cents.

I thought Anne Hathaway did a decent job but I couldn't stop thinking that she looked much more like a Bronte sister than an Austen one!

...Emily? :)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Harp said:
...Emily? :)

Totally! The actress is prettier than the historical figures but I think she resembles Emily much more than Jane.

Emilybronte_retouche.jpg

BecomingJane2BArticle12B001.jpg

brontesisters.jpg

Hathaway_with_book.jpg

janeausten.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Harp said:
<Bump II> :D
I still haven't seen Jane. :eek:

Too busy looking for that issue of Alaska Quarterly Review, eh? ;) Well, the good news is that it's probably at the bargain theaters now. Let me know what you think when you finally do see it, will you?

OnlyOneAudrey

New in Town
OMG! I LOVE JANE AUSTEN

(Did that come off too much Valley-Girl-ish?.....)

Ever since I picked up my first Jane Austen novel, I've been a fan. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE here work. Have every book she ever wrote, and even the ones she didn't finish. When I was working in a bookstore in Sarasota, we had a Jane Austen event. Twas awesome! We had a guy come in from the theatre dressed in drag do Jane. Turned out way funnier than I thought it would. Fun times...

But back to the movie, I made a mental note to see it, but haven't yet. But I def will.

I'm so glad ya'll made this thread. I really love the Regency era...in fact I have my own regency dress...made in high school...sorry not real. How many other people are as in love with the Regency Era and Jane as I am?

OnlyOneAudrey

New in Town
Favorite Jane Austen Novel

Do you gals have a favorite Jane Austen novel? Or are you like me and have a hard time choosing just one? I really like Persuasion and Pride and Prejudice.

Oh and a great Jane Austen Fan Lit series is the set by Pamela Aiden. There are three in the series An Assembly Such as This, Duty & Desire, and These Three Remain. They are Pride and Prejudice from Mr. Darcy's POV. They are VERY well written. (Can you tell that I used to sell books? I just love them!)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
OnlyOneAudrey said:
Do you gals have a favorite Jane Austen novel? Or are you like me and have a hard time choosing just one? I really like Persuasion and Pride and Prejudice.

...I love them all. And I'm a guy. lol
Still haven't seen Jane yet!!!!:)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Goodness, Harp, what are you waiting for? Get thee to a movie theater! ;) I've heard really mixed reviews on the film adaptation The Jane Austen Bookclub but I haven't seen it (I didn't read the book either).

I hang my head in shame while I admit that I've never read any of Austen's novels. I tried P&P ages ago and I just couldn't get into it--I should try again. I have a friend that won't stop going on about how wonderful Persuasion is so maybe I should give that one a go? Which are your favorites?

I'm all over the map with classic British Lit--for instance I love the Brontes but David Copperfield is one of the two times in my life I ever bought Cliff Notes--reading that book was like banging my head against a brick wall, I just hated it (the second book that drove me into the arms of Cliff was Moby Dick btw).

Foofoogal

Banned
Just saw this last night. Beautiful scenery but I could only understand about half the speech. A man would shoot himself trying to sit thru it. Hathaway is great IMHO. So pretty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21