Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belstaff/Drizabone Trialmaster Wax Cotton Jacket

Jeephoto

New in Town
I love motorcycles and wax cotton jackets. I especially like Drizabone coats from Australia. I have three "Driza's" and I love them.

I would love to own a Belstaff Trialmaster wax cotton jacket. The kind Steve McQueen wore, along with famous motorcycle riders in history.

In my search for Belstaff Trialmasters, I ran across a Belstaff/Drizabone Trialmaster Pro coat on eBay, but it was a child's size coat. The label on the upper right pocket says "Belstaff Trialmaster Pro made by Drizabone". Apparently, Drizabone contracted with Belstaff to produce a line of jackets that bore both names and was made in the Drizabone factory.

Does anyone know the specifics on this/these jackets? Where it was available, in what sizes, what years it was manufactured? Are they STILL available and where would I get one? I really, really want one of these Belstaff/Drizabone jackets.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry in Texas

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Jeephoto said:
Does anyone know the specifics on this/these jackets? Where it was available, in what sizes, what years it was manufactured? Are they STILL available and where would I get one? I really, really want one of these Belstaff/Drizabone jackets.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry in Texas

Larry

Belstaff (for whom I used to work) formed an association with Drizabone to sell each others products in what had previously been the other company's market. This was (I seem to remember) 1992 or 1993 - soon after the closure of the original factories in Longton and Silverdale. A few Belstaff styles (mainly Trialsmaster) were made in Australia with the 'joint' label you describe and Drizabone style garments (manufactured in Australia) were sold in Belstaff stockists in the UK - mainly stock coats. Without more details I'm not sure which jacket you are referring to. The arrangement did not survive the takeover by the present Italian owners in 1994-5.

If you want a Trialsmaster like McQueen's, by the way, you are going to have to pay big money. The design changed in the middle 70s and 'his' is one of the 60s series. Very rare now. You may want to consider a Barbour version from the same period, as being less collectable they are more common.

I hope this helps.

Alan

Jeephoto

New in Town
Alan Eardley said:
Larry

Belstaff (for whom I used to work) formed an association with Drizabone to sell each others products in what had previously been the other company's market. This was (I seem to remember) 1992 or 1993 - soon after the closure of the original factories in Longton and Silverdale. A few Belstaff styles (mainly Trialsmaster) were made in Australia with the 'joint' label you describe and Drizabone style garments (manufactured in Australia) were sold in Belstaff stockists in the UK - mainly stock coats. Without more details I'm not sure which jacket you are referring to. The arrangement did not survive the takeover by the present Italian owners in 1994-5.

If you want a Trialsmaster like McQueen's, by the way, you are going to have to pay big money. The design changed in the middle 70s and 'his' is one of the 60s series. Very rare now. You may want to consider a Barbour version from the same period, as being less collectable they are more common.

I hope this helps.

Alan

That is a tremedous help. The jacket I want is the Trialmaster with the belt. There is just something about that style coat I have seen on motorcycle riders as I was growing up, that I want the same coat. I will definately look at the Barbour coat; I would like to find a distributor in the USA.

I own a Drizabone Short Stock Coat and a Bushman. I am looking at the Aussie Ranger jacket as my next. I really like the oilskin/wax cotton coats.

Many thanks,
Larry

Speedster

Practically Family
Alan Eardley said:
Alan

Out of curiosity, why is it that the Belstaff Trialmaster is considered more collectable than the Barbour International?

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Speedster said:
Out of curiosity, why is it that the Belstaff Trialmaster is considered more collectable than the Barbour International?

Barbour was (and still is) best known for its country wear and was (and is) the chosen wear of 'the country set' and royalty. Belstaff was best known for its motorcycling gear. In the days before 'product placement' and celebrity sponsorship deals, Belstaff was the chosen wear of world champion trials riders and road racers.

Alan

Speedster

Practically Family
Yes, since Belstaff also made leathers they were into all corners of the motorcycle world. But i always thought that in the waxed cotton world it was 50/50 Belstaff/Barbour (trials world champion Sammy Miller wore Belstaff and the Swedish ISDT team wore Barbour if my memory serves me correct).

And here is a good photo of Steve McQueen during ISDT in a Barbour (and the photo would have been just as good had it been a Belstaff):

mcqueen3.jpg

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Belstaff vs Barbour

Speedster said:
Yes, since Belstaff also made leathers they were into all corners of the motorcycle world. But i always thought that in the waxed cotton world it was 50/50 Belstaff/Barbour (trials world champion Sammy Miller wore Belstaff and the Swedish ISDT team wore Barbour if my memory serves me correct).

And here is a good photo of Steve McQueen during ISDT in a Barbour (and the photo would have been just as good had it been a Belstaff):

mcqueen3.jpg

Yes, that's a Barbour ISDT jacket - but his chosen personal jacket was a Belstaff. I can't speak for Sweden (or any other country) but our marketing people used to produce what they claimed were market share figures for all manufacturers in the UK and Belstaff outsold Barbour. I have observed that the early Barbour jackets that come onto the market now are often in better condition than the equivalent Belstaff ones - possibly the latter were put to heavier use . That surely makes Barbour a better buy now.

Alan

Speedster

Practically Family
Thanks Alan.

Back in my motorcycling days i always wanted a Belstaff Trialmaster suit or a Barbour International suit. In the end i got a 2nd hand Barbour suit. This was something like 25 years ago. The suit had yellow Barbour labels, so i don't know if it's from the 60'ies or 70'ies. I still have it although it's now too small for me. I guess it's the usual problem with garments shrinking over time from lack of use ;)

gorodish

New in Town
British Motorcycle Gear (used to be Belstaff USA) still lists a Trialmaster 'Classic' and company folk show up at motorcycle shows to sell them (i think they may still have their version made by drizabone) ... try this:

http://www.belstaff1924.com/jackets.asp

... and Johnson Motors has a McQueen replica (even though they have nothing to do with Triumph anymore) that you may find here :

http://www.johnsonmotorsinc.com/men/isdt2.htm

... I just had my "broken-in" version re-waxxed, and Yes, there is nothing like it!

Edward

Bartender
Indulging in a bit of thread archaeology.... the indignity of a circa 1980s pacamac type waterproof jacket on my recent holiday has turned me on once more to the virtues of waxed cotton. I did have a (much cheaper) Barbour style country jacket when I was about 17 - served as my school coat for a couple of years. As I recall it was quite expensive to have them rewaxed? I've started keeping an eye out for a Trialmaster-style jacket. Hunting around, of what's still in production, it seems that a Barbour international is both significantly cheaper, and appears to have a more true to vintage style to it, with the severely slanted left chest pocket.... Are these practical jackets for casual wear in a vintage stylee into the Summer months, or (much like most of my other jackets) are they a bit heavy for that?

Copper

One of the Regulars
Edward, if you can't find a suitable Belstaff or Barbour, you may wish to consider the Kakadu Nelson.

Though not in the same quality league as Barbour or Belstaff, I think it offers considerable value for money. The inside of the collar is a soft leather as well, which is a nice touch.

I ordered one for a friend as I was placing an order with them anyways for a pair of waxed cotton trousers to be worn with my Trialmaster. He has been very happy with the fit and finish, especially given the cost - $110.

There have been differing view on here as to the overall quality of the Kakdu product, but I think that both the cargo trousers I bought and the Nelson are very well done indeed for what they cost.

Edward

Bartender
Thanks, Copper - I'll bear that in mind. Good looking jacket.

The Wikipedia entry on Barbour is interesting. It notes that Barbour got there first, before Belstaff, when it cam to producing a wax cotton jacket, though of course apart from the official patronage of Barbour by many pro racers (including Macqueen, who of course wore Belstaff as his personal jacket), it seems to me that Belstaff for whatever reason have the higher number of famous wearers.... including Che Guevara on his Motorcycle Diaries era travels. Anyhow.... Wikipedia repates a story that Barbours were issued to British Navy submarine officers for a time. The story runs that a crew member lent his to his commanding officer who had to be up top when they were visited by the Queen; supposedly the queen was so impressed she decreed that they should be issued. Sounds like pure marketing humbug to me, though this military usage is credited by the story as the reason for the slanted pocket - apparently it was to facilitate the quick drawing of an officer's pistol, which was kept there when the jacket was being worn. [huh] any truth in this, or is it complete nonsense?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner