Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belts - Help needed.

Alex Neves

New in Town
Hello friends

Can I get some advices on good quality leather belts with a vintage look? A have a few, some from Ralph Lauren , others from Levis and Lee, but it's made in China and quality is not so good.
I have some hand tooled belts, good quality, made here in Brazil, but I'm limited to cowboy style buckles.

I did use the search tool, but almost all threads are related to leather jackets belts. Probably there is a smarter way to search, but I don’t know how.

BeltBandolier.png

s-l225.jpg

Thanks

Regards.

A

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thedi Leathers in Greece. This guy makes some really extraordinary vintage belts and leather jackets. Also, I've gotten seven or eight belts from Leathergoodsconnection.com. I (obviously) recommend them highly. Nice choice of dress, casual, and ranger belts. If you order from them, go with the bridle leather. They're also very quick: I've received belts from them within a week or so.

Alex Neves

New in Town
Thedi Leathers in Greece. This guy makes some really extraordinary vintage belts and leather jackets. Also, I've gotten seven or eight belts from Leathergoodsconnection.com. I (obviously) recommend them highly. Nice choice of dress, casual, and ranger belts. If you order from them, go with the bridle leather. They're also very quick: I've received belts from them within a week or so.

Thank you very much!!!

I'm looking at Thedi Leathers.... it's exactlly what I was looking for! I'm amazed! Hopefully it will not cost an arm and a leg, let's see.

I also liked a lot of leathersgoodconnection.com.

Cheers!!!

A

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thedi makes predistressed leather belts in some really interesting styles. There's a thread on them in the Outerwear section; simply type their name into the search function at the top of the page. Leather Goods Connection are much more reasonably priced, though, but their work is first-rate. What I like about them especially is that you can choose your width, style, color, buckle, stitching, etc. The belts I have have aged very nicely.

Willybob

A-List Customer
I have three of these and love them. bought my first 35 years ago and its still worthy. They have thickness and lining options.

image.png

Edward

Bartender
I buy most of my belts from a combination of Etsy, eBay, and stalls in the local craft market (Spitalfields, London). I tend to find that cheap leather belts aren't really worth it, as they stretch, distort and look worn (in a bad way) after only a couple of years. Also avoid bonded leather - again, much over a year and the layers separate in my experience. It is possible to spend a lot on a belt. Personally, unless it's something where a lot of appreciable hand-tolling has gone in (Western / Rockabilly belts with al ot of stud work, for example), I baulk at the idea of spending close to GBP100 / USD124 on a basic leather belt. If all you want is something plain, search eBay and etsy for somebody (there are legions of them on both of those) making good, basic belts out of saddle leather or bridle leather.

Another option are good quality Sam Browne belts, as in your picture - not hard to find online, relatively cheap (GBP30ish), though be3 wary of the width if you want to wear it with anything other than jeans. I find with most 'dress' trousers (and often evne vintage, non-denim, European work-trousers) a thick belt any wider than 1" doesn't fit very well with the narrow beltloops.

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
I buy most of my belts from a combination of Etsy, eBay, and stalls in the local craft market (Spitalfields, London). I tend to find that cheap leather belts aren't really worth it, as they stretch, distort and look worn (in a bad way) after only a couple of years. Also avoid bonded leather - again, much over a year and the layers separate in my experience. It is possible to spend a lot on a belt. Personally, unless it's something where a lot of appreciable hand-tolling has gone in (Western / Rockabilly belts with al ot of stud work, for example), I baulk at the idea of spending close to GBP100 / USD124 on a basic leather belt. If all you want is something plain, search eBay and etsy for somebody (there are legions of them on both of those) making good, basic belts out of saddle leather or bridle leather.

Another option are good quality Sam Browne belts, as in your picture - not hard to find online, relatively cheap (GBP30ish), though be3 wary of the width if you want to wear it with anything other than jeans. I find with most 'dress' trousers (and often evne vintage, non-denim, European work-trousers) a thick belt any wider than 1" doesn't fit very well with the narrow beltloops.
Yep, the belt in my pic was made by a UK maker on Etsy, using English Oak Bark bridle leather. The quality of a well made leather belt is so much better than the majority of the belts you find in stores. Plus, I fancy thick, rugged leather belts. Here's a pic of a brown one he made for me:
3bc0b9e64f0df00e99fdfb202d99e1ae.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
I'm planning to buy an Amish made leather belt. There are many of them on ebay and etsy and I would assume the craftmanship to be good. Anyone have any experience with that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass