Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Besame cosmetics

Inky

One Too Many
I am forever getting confused on that warm/cool red thing, but recently Bella Sugar had some good articles that I bookmarked with just such info.

http://www.bellasugar.com/2572409

I for one have a light/fair complexion, but it can be yellow or with red splotches (good grief, I sound frightening!). I find that blue reds look better on me than orange reds. Basically I have in my arsenal a blue red, a brick red, a bright cherry red and what I consider a true red. I just pick a red that makes me feel good, to be honest ;)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
RebeccaMUA said:
Do you mean if you have warm undertones you should use a warm red and cooler undertone a bluer/cooler red? :)
No, you should wear opposite colors. If you are warm skinned, you need a cool lip. It you are cool skinned, wear a warm lip. This is the same with hair color and eye color. If you are warm skinned, you wear cool blonds or blue based reds. If you are cool skinned, you wear golden blonds or warm, natural red. With eye color, if you have brown eyes, blue and green shadows will make them pop. If you have blue eyes, brown works with them.

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:
No, you should wear opposite colors. If you are warm skinned, you need a cool lip. It you are cool skinned, wear a warm lip. This is the same with hair color and eye color. If you are warm skinned, you wear cool blonds or blue based reds. If you are cool skinned, you wear golden blonds or warm, natural red. With eye color, if you have brown eyes, blue and green shadows will make them pop. If you have blue eyes, brown works with them.

That's an interesting concept. I am sure that stems from the color theory you learned in cosmetology school when learning about haircolor :)

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Inky said:
I for one have a light/fair complexion, but it can be yellow or with red splotches (good grief, I sound frightening!). I find that blue reds look better on me than orange reds. Basically I have in my arsenal a blue red, a brick red, a bright cherry red and what I consider a true red. I just pick a red that makes me feel good, to be honest ;)

You are so cute! *virtual hug* :)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I think there have been scads of color theories over the years. I've heard it both ways. The best way to know what works for you in the end, is to try it. [huh] Once you have an idea of what colors work for you, you can then buy ones similar to that palate. You can always raid your friend's or your Mom's lipsticks to get an idea, but even that isn't always foolproof... ;)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
ClaraB said:
Oh Ladies, I need your help! I have finally decided to treat myself to a Besame lipstick and I just can't decide what color is right for me. Red is my color of choice, but red hot? red velvet? besame red? or dare I try noir red? I have a feeling cherry red will be too blue for me...but I could be wrong.
Any suggestions?

They have such a great sale right now (buy 2, get 3. free), so maybe you should splurge and get two lipsticks and get one free? That way you can try the different colors.

My favorite is cherry red.

I think carmine is wonderful too (quite orange, though).

If you want something red and bright, but less orange than carmine, go for red hot red.

I love wild orchid too, but that isn't a true red. But gorgeous color.

I don't think you want the noir red, unless you are going for a 20's look. It's very dark.

Merlot is, as the name says, pretty much like red wine, a deep red, not bright like carmine or red hot red.

I have heard most ladies say that bésame red is the truest red. I don't own it myself. But just because it's the truest red, it doesn't mean it will be the one that suits you best. I think it just means that it doesn't have too much orange or too much blue (is that right?).

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
I have heard most ladies say that bésame red is the truest red. I don't own it myself. But just because it's the truest red, it doesn't mean it will be the one that suits you best. I think it just means that it doesn't have too much orange or too much blue (is that right?).

Precisely.
And you're also right that it doesn't mean it will be the best choice, though it does seem to be one of the most popular colors with our girls. ;)

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
Laura Chase said:
They have such a great sale right now (buy 2, get 3. free), so maybe you should splurge and get two lipsticks and get one free? That way you can try the different colors.

I do believe that this is what I am going have to do, I can't decide! I think I may also purchase their rose moisturizer as well.

Thank you for all your help!

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
What a joke! I just tried to make an order worth $11 and they want to charge me $40 shipping? I'm trying very hard not tp type a LOT of swear words right now. As i'm sure you can imagine I am NOT paying that! What a ripoff!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
i_am_the_scruff said:
What a joke! I just tried to make an order worth $11 and they want to charge me $40 shipping? I'm trying very hard not tp type a LOT of swear words right now. As i'm sure you can imagine I am NOT paying that! What a ripoff!

International shipping is only $4 at the moment, according to their newsletter. You should be able to choose it from a drop down menu.

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
Laura Chase said:
International shipping is only $4 at the moment, according to their newsletter. You should be able to choose it from a drop down menu.
I chose something, I can't remember what, then it came up saying I couldn't choose that option and the only option that was in the drop down thing after that was a $40 shipping thing. I'll try again.

:edit:
ClaraB said:
Perhaps I am reading it wrong, but it appears the $4 international shipping only applies to orders $60 or more.
Yeah I think you're right.

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Their international shipping has always been ridiculously high. I had the stuff sent to a friend in the US and she sent it back to me, sad, but that was way cheaper! :eusa_doh:

Laura Chase

One Too Many
i_am_the_scruff, that's too bad. :( I think I've only been ordering for over $60, because we are a handful of girls who order together. Perhaps you could order with some of the other UK girls on the lounge?

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
Medvssa I've done that before too :D But I don't want to bother her with this.

Laura Chase, thanks for the idea :) i'll see if any of my friends want anything.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
i_am_the_scruff said:
Medvssa I've done that before too :D But I don't want to bother her with this.

Laura Chase, thanks for the idea :) i'll see if any of my friends want anything.
I'll post it to you if you'd like. PM me if you're interested.

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
I bought the sweet pionk blush, but am thinkinbg of going darker as in Raspberry. (Good idea)

I also bought the Wild Orchid lippy and the nude/cocoa lipliner, would that go together?

Or would the liner give me enough color on its own? (I have pretty fair to medium skin.)

BTW: the colors on the page don't tell me enough... can anyone gfive me a description of each lippy shade?

(I have Besame Red, Exotic Pink, and the Aforementioned Wild Orchid. But am thinking of Carmine or Red Hot Red.)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
dahliaoleander said:
I bought the sweet pionk blush, but am thinkinbg of going darker as in Raspberry. (Good idea)

I also bought the Wild Orchid lippy and the nude/cocoa lipliner, would that go together?

Or would the liner give me enough color on its own? (I have pretty fair to medium skin.)

BTW: the colors on the page don't tell me enough... can anyone gfive me a description of each lippy shade?

(I have Besame Red, Exotic Pink, and the Aforementioned Wild Orchid. But am thinking of Carmine or Red Hot Red.)

Raspberry is a great blush, at least if you have a neutral or cooler skin tone. It's perfect on me.

Wild Orchid is pretty red-pink so I don't know if the cocoa would go good with it, but the nude would be fine. I use the cerise lipliner with it, if I use lipliner.

If you go back to the previous pages you will find descriptions of all the lippies. I also found this swatch helpful, although it's not 100% true to color, it gives you an idea. Also, lipstick looks really different on different people, because your own lip color (the base color for your lipstick, basically) plays a big role. But the swatch gives you an idea about the color, is it orange, is it more on the pink side, and so forth...

3308002347_55f41126ac_o.jpg

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
Thanks alot.

The only problem I havde with Besame lippies is slight feathering and staying power. They tend to smudge a bit, then I get paranoid (I.E.: Is it okay, now?... How bout now?... Do I have more on the napkin than on my face?... Okay how bout now?

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Against feathering lipsticks and lipglosses, Mary Kay's Outliner works wonderfully. It was sadly discontined, but it can be found on Ebay. MUA review's here.
I still use lipliner and the outliner. HTH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21