Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best doggie names ever

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Viola - I was going to say the same thing. They are more or less bred to be barkers...moose "hunters" that they are and all. And my mothers Keeshond mix, Choopy (which is an interesting name), makes the most incredible range of noises I have ever encountered in a dog. I have been trying to get used to Ullr's need to bark for every possible reason and teach him that barking is not acceptable in most instances (it is working, slowly.) I am just glad I had experience with spitz breeds and their talky nature and tendency to look you in the eye all the time, like they are looking into your soul. Otherwise, my dog would have creeped me out.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Flieger said:
Anyone here read Andrew Vachss?

His modern noir hero, Burke has a "puppy" who is first described like this:

"... she's a Neapolitan mastiff - about 140 pounds of vicious muscle and dumb as a brick. If her entire brain was high-quality cocaine, it wouldn't retail for enough to buy a decent meal. But she knows how to do her work, which is more then you can say for a lot of fools who went to Harvard."

Her name? Pansy. lol

/Flieger

Oh, I absolutely ADORE Andrew Vachss.

Mirinda

New in Town
This is my puppy, Groucho (he was going to be called Harpo but the curly black hair made him more of a Groucho :p )

200907grouchosfirsthairf.jpg

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
The wee terrier fellow that I went to see didn't work out. However completely by chance I saw a little girl advertised that needed a home and fitted the bill. She is a 9 months old staffordshire bull terrierxjack russell/whippet and we have called her Ellie.

It's early days yet and she is still squeaking when we leave her to go to bed or work, but I am assured she will settle in, although at the moment I feel like the doggie equivalent of Dr Crippen every morning!

Wish me luck, I think I need it!!!

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"I was always hesitant to get a second dog, but when a friend asked my Italian greyhound to mate with his IG, well! Now I have Father & one of his Daughters, I would always recommend having Two dogs, after all they are "Pack" animals! they are such great company for each other, even if you have to kennel them whilst on Holidays, they can share a "run"

kyda

One of the Regulars
We had a Rottweiler called Ceaser, his was the biggest sook. His favourite game was playing tug of war with our Jack Russell called Tiny with my brothers soccer socks. My brother still has the photo to this day of ceaser down on his haunches getting ready to play, tiny did sure miss her best friend when he died.

Canadave

One Too Many
Mirinda said:
This is my puppy, Groucho (he was going to be called Harpo but the curly black hair made him more of a Groucho :p )

200907grouchosfirsthairf.jpg

Very cute doggy!

That pic reminds me of a new problem we're having with our miniature poodle. All of a sudden, she's very hesitant to walk on the hardwood. She's been ok with it for almost 5 years, but now she is very "afraid" of it. Checking the web, this seems to be a very common problem. We tried trimming the hair between her paws (easier said than done) but it doesn't seem to have helped. Anyone else here experience this?

My Max, really enjoyed when we were dog sitting Blue a terrier mix about the size of a standard poodle. Max and Blue were around people mostly, so when they were together they got to be dog-dogs not people dogs. They had a lot of fun and play time.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Great doggie names here! I've always liked Deefer (d for dog!) and the Polish Squadron near me had a mascot called Chapek!
This is my mother's dog, Polly. (as in Polly wolly doodles all the day-which she does in inappropriate places..:mad: )

This is her as our mascot at an event earlier this year!

pugRAF.jpg

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
Here's a picture of my girl. It's day 3 now and so far she seems to be settling in. This is the best I could do for a pic at the moment, she's just about to take off again!
More_Ellie___D_by_RattytheDevilDog.jpg

Mirinda

New in Town
Canadave said:
Very cute doggy!

That pic reminds me of a new problem we're having with our miniature poodle. All of a sudden, she's very hesitant to walk on the hardwood. She's been ok with it for almost 5 years, but now she is very "afraid" of it. Checking the web, this seems to be a very common problem. We tried trimming the hair between her paws (easier said than done) but it doesn't seem to have helped. Anyone else here experience this?

Hm, I hadn't heard of that! My miniature poodle is just 6 months old and he used to be afraid of metal floors, but one day he just decided he wasn't afraid anymore [huh]

Maybe your dog has a problem with her nails?

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I would suggest keeping the nails pretty short. Often it is suggested that if your dogs nails click on the floor when they walk they are too long. I also think that when their pads get roughed up from being outside or on walks they get slick on the dog and just a couple of slips reinforce that fear factor and they get edgy on the hard surface. My mothers dog has this funny habit due to being afraid of slipping, where she turns around and backs out of the kitchen so she won't slip. I don't know why it works for her or how she ever decided to do that, but she does it.

Mirinda

New in Town
Mrs. Merl said:
My mothers dog has this funny habit due to being afraid of slipping, where she turns around and backs out of the kitchen so she won't slip. I don't know why it works for her or how she ever decided to do that, but she does it.

lol Your mother's dog sounds so cute!

By the way, you're not supposed to clip your dog's nails too short. If you cut above the pink part of the nail you could nip the little vein in there and it'd bleed - not a serious injury, but the dog wouldn't like it! :rolleyes:

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Oh, I definitely know about not cutting too far, though thankfully I have never done it. I am sure Mom's dogs and my dog are all glad too! Most clippers come with a guard, in fact. But if you let your dogs nails get too long it can start effecting their stance and eventually the bones in their feet. Keep those nails trimmed!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
^^^

I spent last Sunday evening in the company of a Boxer pup (6 mos) and my cleaners assure me that the paw prints on my white linen trousers will come out fine. :p

What a beautiful animal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran