Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Era for Summerwear?

graverobbergirl

New in Town
I did a little search, but I still might have missed if this topic has already been covered.

I do a lot of sewing and am considering creating a new wardrobe for summer (so sick of the clothes in my closet). I'm leaning toward 1940s, because it seems to be a bit more flattering a style for my body type (and I have several of the Simplicity retro patterns). However, I feel as if the 50s have a much wider range of fun pieces for summer.

I think I want to stick to one decade/era simply so that I can make a smaller number of interchangeable pieces (and accessories will also need to acquired) and have some cohesion in my closet for once.

Does anyone prefer one era to the others for summer fashion?

Any recommendations for particular pieces, patterns, etc?

Thanks!

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
Hmm I lean towards the 50s just because I love the sundresses of the era. Plus, the silhouette of the tight waist and full skirt is most flattering on my crazy hips.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
30s is my favorite for sure, but there's also elements of the 40s and the 50s that are quite fun, especially for summer!

swingkitten85

Familiar Face
I love the 40s for summertime fashion! The cute playsuits, midriff tops, pinafore dresses and swimwear get me every time. I'd suggest definitely going with the era you feel most flatters your body; I know from personal experience that the pieces that I feel I look best in, I wear the most. No use having a closet full of cute summer clothes that you don't wear! ;) lol.

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
I think the key is choosing styles that suit you and that you will wear. Before committing to any era, why don't you make up an item or 2 to see if that is the direction you want to go? There's a lot to choose from in any decade

Foofoogal

Banned
This thread made me think of my fav summer swimsuit way back in early 1960s.
Baby blue and white 2 piece with ruffles on top and bottom. Made of the stiff cotton. lol

graverobbergirl

New in Town
thanks for your input, gals!

I didn't even have swimsuits in mind when I posted this, but there are some really cute ones out there in every decade. Those 30s ones are just adorable, Cecil.

I was just dreaming of a time when I can wear cute/classy clothes again because I don't need half a dozen layers (shirt upon shirt, sweaters, pullovers, long johns, several pairs of socks, coats, etc. Winter gets old fast when you have to dress for the cold).

I have made a couple 40s pieces that are up there amongst my favourite things residing in my closet. And I think I've settled on this decade. But also have some 50s pieces in the works.

Unfortunately, I just cut my hair off really short, which although it feels so nice and a lot healthier, is not conducive to any vintage style. And I was so looking forward to making some classy hats, too. :eusa_doh:

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Really short hair and really light dresses are so quintessentially '20s and they pair well together. Spaghetti strap slips under little translucent dresses - SO summer. With a little cloche hat!

And a beaded purse that weighs 20 lbs. even though its tiny. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy