Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best time machine movie

koopkooper

Practically Family
I just finished watching an interesting time machine movie called "Time Quest" which is all about a guy who goes back to save Kennedy from being killed.

Just wondering what other time machine movies ar your favorites that are worth a look.

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Is there any real question as to what is the all time best time machine movie ever made??

I'll give you a hint!

De%20Lorean%20DMC12%20Back%20to%20the%20Future%20VIT24010%2024.99_thumb.jpg

Marv

A-List Customer
The Time Machine starring Rod Taylor....excellent and great effects for it's time.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I second the wonderful George Pal film of 1960, and also recommend "Time After Time", the 1979 Wells-really-built-a-time-machine fish-out-of-water flick written/directed by Nicholas Meyer, with very sweet performances by Malcolm McDowell and Mary Steenburgen. And another great villainous turn by David Warner! (Meyer would recycle his time-traveler-to-San Francisco concept to much greater success a few years later in Star Trek IV: The Whales Come Home.)

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Sorta like Back to the Future was Frankenstein Unbound (1990) with John Hurt and his talking car getting caught in time warp (?) taking him back to the 19th century and meeting Dr. Frankenstien. It wasn't a comedy.

Haversack

One Too Many
I would second _Time After Time_. What I really like best about it, (besides the obvious chemstry between Steenburgen and MacDowell), is how well it portrays the culture shock that Wells felt coming from 1891 London to 1979 San Francisco. What made this especially apt was Wells thought of himself as a avant-garde proponent of free love.

It also introduces what has become reletivley common in modern time-travel films: How truly disturbing the near future can be. Just when its seems familiar and sort of neat to the T-traveller, (and the audience), then the really alien/foreigness of the time/place jumps out. Sort of like wandering into a supermarket in a different country.

Haversack.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There was a superb episode of the last Twilight Zone incarnation of about 3 years ago. They went back in time to when Hitler was a baby and dropped him into a river. The nanny bought a baby from a gypsy woman and passed it off to Hitler's freaky mother. His father saw the difference but so the sake of the unstable wife/mother, said nothing. So by killing the real Hitler they actually created the monster Hitler. ;):eusa_doh:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I saw that recent Zone episode too, and it was okay. But it mostly just reminded me of an even better episode from the (seriously underrated) 80s Twilight Zone - "The Once And Future King", in which an Elivs impersonator goes back in time to meet the young Elvis... and ends up taking his place for the rest of his life when young Elvis dies!

Oh, and it's nice to see that there are other fans of "Time After Time" out there - it's a sweet little flick. (I saw it during its original run in 1979 - ironically, on the very date that Wells arrives in SF in the film! That was darn *strange*!)

BlancheDubois

Familiar Face
Somewhere in Time with Jane Seymour and Christopher Reeve, although Christopher Reeve's character didn't actually use a time machine.

The soundtrack is absolutely glorious!

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
'Time Machine' with Rod Taylor,

I saw this as a young boy and was mesmerized. I find myself referencing lines from that movie today. Who can resist spinning a CD on it's side and pretending it's the 'talking rings'. I had a crush on Yvette Mimeux for years after this film came out: "Weena. W e e n a!"
1737b6be.jpg

Which prompts the question: What three books would you have taken?

See: http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=165764#post165764

-dixon cannon

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
There was another 'Twilight Zone' episode "Back There" 1961 that starred Russell Johnson, the Professor from Gilligans Island. At a prominent club in Washington, D.C., a socialite argues about whether it would be possible to change history by traveling back in time. When he leaves the club he finds himself in 1865, on the night that President Lincoln will be shot.
I thought that was a brilliant episode.

Cheers!

Dan

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
I thought Butterfly Effect was pretty good, despite Ashton Kutcher (who was actually not bad in the movie.) One of the more original movies to come out of Hollywood in quite some time.

There is a little known movie called "Primer." It's only about an hour long, but it's a great movie. It's almost like a puzzle. You might have to watch it a few times.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
herringbonekid said:
'twelve monkeys' by Terry Gilliam.
A friend of mine was in that film. He played the leader of the guards. It was shot in Philly.

"Time After Time" is a great movie. I have seen it everytime it shows up on cable. Malcom MacDowell had a great Victorian, or would it be Edwardian? look. It was a great mixing of genres: horror and science fiction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW