Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Beyond Glory": A Play about the Medal of Honor

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
This appeared in today's OpinionJournal. I have edited what appears below for length and political content.

Faith and Fiber

BY DANIEL HENNINGER
Thursday, August 9, 2007 12:01 a.m. EDT

...the most cathartic experience I've had recently in matters of war or peace was seeing a stage play about . . . war.

The play is "Beyond Glory," written and performed by Stephen Lang at the Roundabout Theater in New York. In barest outline, Mr. Lang, who originated the role of the accused Marine colonel in the Broadway production of "A Few Good Men," brings to life eight recipients of the Congressional Medal of Honor from World War II, Korea and Vietnam. Without interruption for 80 minutes, Mr. Lang recreates eight different men, who relate the hellish events that earned them the Medal of Honor. As described recently by Journal theater critic Terry Teachout, this is "acting of the highest imaginable quality, a performance that will sear its way into your mind and linger there forever after." An understatement.

In a conversation about the play last weekend, Mr. Lang said this play's about "humility."

The play, "Beyond Glory," opened in 2004 on the edge of Arlington Cemetery, at a small theater inside the Women in Military Service Memorial. Some nights only three people showed up. He played on. Then he got a strong review, and lots of people started attending. One was a program director at the National Endowment for the Arts, Jon Peede.

But we're ahead of the story. Jon Peede told Chairman Gioia he'd just seen a pretty amazing play about Medal of Honor recipients that would make a nice fit with "Operation Homecoming." Result: Stephen Lang was able to put the Medal of Honor's reality in front of soldier audiences all over the world--in Europe, at Pearl Harbor, the DMZ in Korea and of course in the Middle East, memorably aboard the aircraft carrier USS Vinson in the Persian Gulf.

He performed on the Vinson three times in a day, losing 10 pounds. Two shows were done on the flight deck, each time before 500 to 600 sailors. In the evening he did it in a smaller room for about 100 officers. Some wept.

Here's why one person wept at "Beyond Glory." I didn't know who the eight MoH soldiers and Marines were the first time I saw the play. The fourth man portrayed is Adm. James Stockdale. In the 1980s, I worked with Jim Stockdale (and later met him several times) to shape a long, remarkable feature that he wrote for The Wall Street Journal on the meaning of his seven years as a prisoner during Vietnam at Hoa Lo, the Hanoi Hilton.
Stephen Lang, using Stockdale's words, revealed the reality of Hoa Lo prison--the torture known as "the ropes," the years in isolation, the ruined but never-broken man. When Stockdale/Lang slits his wrists to avoid being "taken down," and describes why, it is unbearable.

Last Saturday after he'd finished the matinee performance (the play closes a week from Sunday), I asked Stephen Lang: You've now spent several years with these eight guys; what do you think "Beyond Glory" is about. "For the longest time," he said, "I couldn't give it a name. I finally concluded that what binds these men is faith and fiber." Pretty simple. Faith and fiber.

Mr. Henninger is deputy editor of The Wall Street Journal's editorial page. His column appears Thursdays in the Journal and on OpinionJournal.com.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
A Book you might Like

One paragraph I edited from the article says, in part, "Now read "Operation Homecoming" [a book published by Random House] to find out who they [the troops] are, what they think, feel, want, have learned, won and lost in Iraq and Afghanistan. Stand in a bookstore and start with chapter five, "This Is Not a Game."

Nashoba

One Too Many
Paisley said:
One paragraph I edited from the article says, in part, "Now read "Operation Homecoming" [a book published by Random House] to find out who they [the troops] are, what they think, feel, want, have learned, won and lost in Iraq and Afghanistan. Stand in a bookstore and start with chapter five, "This Is Not a Game."

Unfortunately if I want to be honest with myself, I doubt that I would be able to watch or read the play. Too close to home. I've seen that book and while I picked it up and flipped through it, it's just too close to my real life. It looked like a really good book for those who don't have any connection to the life or the war to read to gain understanding, but for me, I would probably lose sleep reading it. Too hard when I still have people very very close to me in direct line of fire and my husband not safely home yet. I know all too well what they think, feel, want and have learned and lost. But it did look like a fantastic book. I hope some day I'll be able to read it. I'm just not strong enough for it right now.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Nashoba, one thing I admire about many soldiers in danger or recovering in the hospital is how stoic they are. I think their hardships are almost harder for their loved ones who worry about them and can't be with them. Most of the things people worry about, though, never come to pass. I hope your husband comes home safely when his work is finished.

Nashoba

One Too Many
Paisley said:
Nashoba, one thing I admire about many soldiers in danger or recovering in the hospital is how stoic they are. I think their hardships are almost harder for their loved ones who worry about them and can't be with them. Most of the things people worry about, though, never come to pass. I hope your husband comes home safely when his work is finished.

Their humility always amazes me. It's true, most of what we worry over seems silly once we're past it.
He'll be home soon. We're down to weeks now. Not that I'm counting ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Medal of Honor Podcasts

More Stories of Honor
August 21, 2007; Page A13
Daniel Henninger's Wonder Land column "Faith and Fiber" (Aug. 9) pointed out how moving it was to see the heroism of Congressional Medal of Honor recipients as portrayed in Stephen Lang's play, "Beyond Glory," based on oral histories gathered by Larry Smith. The Pritzker Military Library in Chicago has an ongoing project of interviews with Medal of Honor recipients. These can be viewed at www.pritzkermilitarylibrary.org. I believe this is one of our country's most valuable and inspiring online oral-history projects.

Gary T. Johnson
President
Chicago History Museum

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo