Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biker jacket

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I have my uncles 1960's belstaff jacket, must be worth a small fortune, but holds too much sentimental value... Doesn't even fit me
I can understand sentimental value but on the other hand money is useful too and if it goes to someone who will treasure it AND wear it, that can be good too. I'm just being devil's advocate here.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I also saw someone post on a forum (which I can't remember, but it might have been Film Jackets) about having his motorcycle jacket repaired. He showed a photo of it with the insulation and liner removed for repairs and made the point, which I agree with, that in some photos you can see the pocket liners of Brando's jacket showing when his jacket is unzipped. In other words, it's 99% likely that they removed the insulation and lining from his jacket for the film, which would make it drape in the way it does.
Further to this minor but interesting point, the two photos below are useful: the way the inside edge of the left lapel/breast is hanging loose (note the point where the edge of the leather is not staying folded down) in the left photo, and the clearly unfixed edges of the leather on the inside of the jacket in the right photo, are 100% confirmation that the lining and insulation was removed from this jacket, hence it's rather unique appearance and drape. In fact, if you look carefully at the right hand photo, you'll see the stitch holes inside the jacket where the lining was originally attached! I hope whoever suggested this theory on that other forum sees these photos since they prove that person was correct.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I think it was Monitor who said somewhere, I think in a different thread, that many of Schott's jackets have a flare at the bottom. Below is a comparison of a vintage Schott (top row) versus a modern-day/recent Schott (bottom row), both are Regular length. Note how the older jacket has no flare around the hem and has a different kidney pad at the back.

Edward

Bartender
I think it was Monitor who said somewhere, I think in a different thread, that many of Schott's jackets have a flare at the bottom. Below is a comparison of a vintage Schott (top row) versus a modern-day/recent Schott (bottom row), both are Regular length. Note how the older jacket has no flare around the hem and has a different kidney pad at the back.

I've never handled a Schott Perfecto that was a flared hem shape, but as they're boxier than many others (an Aero 42 MC in the P style I own is something like 38" at the waist, zipped up), if you're a slimmer build and you pull it in with the belt a lot, it can flare, like this:

Custome_Main.jpg

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
I have always found this thread interesting because I don't ride and have worn leather jackets all my life including a couple of vintage Schott motos for the "punk" aspect in my younger days.

I still really like the look but with my current lifestyle I don't necessarily need to show the punk image (I still have some of that attitude though) particularly in the laid back city I live in. The overall "look" here is tech clothing and the sense that one might go hike in the woods or ski Mt Hood at a moments notice. I, as Bronx native, am slightly out of place and in my style perhaps even more so.

Back on topic, I decided to go for an Aero Bootlegger in a brown shade to bring back that cross zip love but in a more subdued way. I wanted it to be a re-imagined sort of "aviator" style from the 1930's. I researched on line, bought Rin Tanakas book and did a lot of reading here on this awesome forum. I finally came up with a design and met with Carrie at Thurston Bros last December and my jacket was delivered a bit over a week ago. I love the jacket, the fit is great, the hide is gorgeous. I am, however, getting strange, uncomfortable looks from guys I interact with all the time. From vendors to customers to friends there seems to be quiet pause and uneasy glances. It immediately brings me back to this particular thread and the use of this style as well...style.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yup you're correct about LW's lighter horse. I definitely like it better for my jackets. I have a LW Roadmaster in Stuart's lighter horse, and I absolutely love the jacket. Since my initial post, I picked up 2-Speed Demons (brown/black), along with a Raider in goatskin.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
I love my 4 oz from Lost Worlds but the 3 oz seems so ready to wear. I have a 3 oz J100 - best jacket I own.

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
Thanks Dr. D, the only one that's mine is the new Russet Bootlegger. The vintage Aero moto with the fur collar and other jackets in the older thread belong to others and helped with my design ideas.

I was going for a vintage inspired "aviator" style and Aero did just as I asked but yes, I am indeed getting funny looks. Not sure if people feel it is out of character for me or if they just don't like it...

Either way I love it so I'm not worried about it, just a funny observation that I felt was fitting with this thread.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Pdxgeo, I also have a "stock" bootlegger in deep Cordovan CXL Horsehide that is around 4.5+ oz. It weighs 9 lbs. I've not received any unusual looks from it, but then again I live in Iowa and wear Perfecto and Cafe Style jackets often, so probably not much to surprise people. Rarely any comments about this jacket, surprisingly.

Looking over the photos of your new bootlegger, I like it and all however I will say that the pocket you specified is rather directly in your view as you look at your photos in from front-dead-center. Not bad to my eyes, just so different initially that it may surprise some people. I hope it continues to be a jacket you enjoy. I guess I would would just not worry about what others are saying or not saying. Enjoy! :)

I have always found this thread interesting because I don't ride and have worn leather jackets all my life including a couple of vintage Schott motos for the "punk" aspect in my younger days.

I still really like the look but with my current lifestyle I don't necessarily need to show the punk image (I still have some of that attitude though) particularly in the laid back city I live in. The overall "look" here is tech clothing and the sense that one might go hike in the woods or ski Mt Hood at a moments notice. I, as Bronx native, am slightly out of place and in my style perhaps even more so.

Back on topic, I decided to go for an Aero Bootlegger in a brown shade to bring back that cross zip love but in a more subdued way. I wanted it to be a re-imagined sort of "aviator" style from the 1930's. I researched on line, bought Rin Tanakas book and did a lot of reading here on this awesome forum. I finally came up with a design and met with Carrie at Thurston Bros last December and my jacket was delivered a bit over a week ago. I love the jacket, the fit is great, the hide is gorgeous. I am, however, getting strange, uncomfortable looks from guys I interact with all the time. From vendors to customers to friends there seems to be quiet pause and uneasy glances. It immediately brings me back to this particular thread and the use of this style as well...style.
They're probably jealous dude. If I saw you in that jacket in Chicago you'd see a funny look on my face as well with tears streaming down my face and I'd be shouting "why didn't I think of that"!
It's an absolutely killer design. Carry it off with confidence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points