1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Biker jacket

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Sheepdog149, Nov 23, 2014.

1. TREEMAN

TREEMAN One Too Many

I HOPE THAT IT DOES NOT TURN AROUND..................

2. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

That's really odd, though... None of my jackets had that effect on people, not even the red one which is as red as the background on the lovely photo above.

3. Edward

Edward Bartender

I don't think any of my leathers have had much of a reaction for a long time. I think the last time a P type got me any hassle was pre-9/11, when being a young, Irish guy flying alone between Belfast and London with some regularity was already enough to have me pulled over for the "random" security check every time. (Strangely, when I wore a suit and kept my yap shut.... nada.).

Though when the Damned played at the RAH for their 40th last year, a drunk guy bid himself up to six hundred quid trying to get me to sell him my Johnson D pocket.... :p

Presumably too many people still think Brando wore a jacket with the Schott label?

I believe I have read that Andy Warhol owned and regularly wore a Schott Perfecto at that time..... though it might have been in Schott's own marketing blurb. Not unlikely, though - given Andy's eye for design iconography, and living in NYC...

Is that quilt lining a two-tone?

4. El Marro

El Marro Practically Family

AeroFan,
    Like you, I own a Bootlegger in Cordovan CXL horsehide. It is my favorite leather jacket, and the only one I own which has elicited multiple compliments from friends and strangers alike.
    I think that Pdxgeo's new jacket is awesome and quite unique. I wouldn't worry about strange looks, I think that simply means that you have created something special and people are taking notice!

AeroFan_07 likes this.
  5. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage Call Me a Cab

My guess is not. I'm no expert, but the change pocket on Warhol's jacket doesn't match the shape of vintage Schott jackets I've seen in photos, quite different in fact.
    I'm thinking stained + age?

6. Doctor Damage

^ amazing...

--------------------------

Here's a pic re Lewis Leathers, I'm not sure if it's a book or advertisement or something. How's that for fitted!

[​IMG]

bn1966 and davyjones007 like this.
  7. Edward

Edward Bartender

Yeesh, you wouldn't want to be trying to get into that after a big lunch!

bn1966 likes this.
  8. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

It's a racing suit, it's supposed to be this fitted.

[​IMG]

9. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy New in Town

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any idea of who might have made this jacket? It looks like it's based on a Perfecto, but I don't think it's a Schott. The main zip is missing its puller, but the pocket zips are marked 'A'.

Regards,

Jon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

davyjones007 likes this.
  10. Doctor Damage

^ That's a nice jacket. The belt buckle looks wrong for Schott, so too does the shape of the lapels, and the belt is mounted a bit too high for vintage Schott. The challenge is, if you go back to the 50s and 60s you'll find tons of perfecto-style jackets made by a wide variety of companies, most of which looked very similar, so unless one is a true vintage expert then it's hard to tell. Can you post a photo of the back? Oft times the backs showed more variation than the fronts (by the shape of back panels, how the belt is attached, the shape of the kidney pad, etc).

Edward and davyjones007 like this.
  11. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy New in Town

Biker jackets aren't really something I know a great deal about, so just wondered if the 'A' zips might give a clue. I'm sure, as you say, there were probably tons of companies making Perfecto-ulike style jackets in the 50s/60s (and still are). It's not my jacket, but I'm wondering if it's worth picking up.

Here are a couple more photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

davyjones007 likes this.
  12. Doctor Damage

For what it's worth, from what I've seen -- and I'm not expert -- the way the belt is sewn into the seams is rather unique: note how it's sewn into the side seam facing towards the back, but then rolled back over itself to be threaded through the loops in the front of the jacket. Hopefully someone here will comment further!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  13. Doctor Damage

vintage schott on the bay now, seller is asking a pretty penny, size 42 (too big for our Japanese friends, so it'll probably stay Stateside)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 One Too Many

As per Monitor's post and picture - supposed to be this fitted --

I agree, however I could stand more sleeve length than he appears to have.
    Ah, we get so spoiled these days with made-to-order leathers. :)

Edward likes this.
  15. Edward

Edward Bartender

It's easy to get leathers to be that fitted when you're the sort of skinny, whippersnapper you see racing. Some of us middle aged types are.... rather less aerodynamic.

bn1966 and AeroFan_07 like this.
  16. Doctor Damage

(click for larger)

[​IMG]

17. Doctor Damage

Definitely a police jacket... I'm thinking Cal Highway Patrol probably?

Glenn Hughes performing at Xenon in June 1978.jpg

Monitor likes this.
  18. ksozay

ksozay Practically Family

Yep, cal lapd with pads!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Doctor Damage

bruce-robinson-withnail-and-i-jack-the-ripper-912-body-image-1448547708-size_1000.jpg