Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biker jacket

I am, however, getting strange, uncomfortable looks from guys I interact with all the time. From vendors to customers to friends there seems to be quiet pause and uneasy glances. It immediately brings me back to this particular thread and the use of this style as well...style.

That's really odd, though... None of my jackets had that effect on people, not even the red one which is as red as the background on the lovely photo above.

Edward

Bartender
I don't think any of my leathers have had much of a reaction for a long time. I think the last time a P type got me any hassle was pre-9/11, when being a young, Irish guy flying alone between Belfast and London with some regularity was already enough to have me pulled over for the "random" security check every time. (Strangely, when I wore a suit and kept my yap shut.... nada.).

Though when the Damned played at the RAH for their 40th last year, a drunk guy bid himself up to six hundred quid trying to get me to sell him my Johnson D pocket.... :p

This is gonna get someone a small fortune, especially with time. They're super rare and people usually don't realize what it is, mistaking it for just another vintage cross zip. Extremely nice example and it looks spot on as the on screen jacket. Details are newer but the patterns seems the same. Man, I should've gotten it and made a few hundred $ but meh...

Presumably too many people still think Brando wore a jacket with the Schott label?

Out of mere curiosity, what's that jacket Warhol is wearing? Photo is from 1967.

Andy_Warhol_and_Tennessee_Williams_NYWTS.jpg

I believe I have read that Andy Warhol owned and regularly wore a Schott Perfecto at that time..... though it might have been in Schott's own marketing blurb. Not unlikely, though - given Andy's eye for design iconography, and living in NYC...

Durable (on a vintage site haughtee.com) (click for larger)

Is that quilt lining a two-tone?

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pdxgeo, I also have a "stock" bootlegger in deep Cordovan CXL Horsehide that is around 4.5+ oz. It weighs 9 lbs. I've not received any unusual looks from it, but then again I live in Iowa and wear Perfecto and Cafe Style jackets often, so probably not much to surprise people. Rarely any comments about this jacket, surprisingly.

Looking over the photos of your new bootlegger, I like it and all however I will say that the pocket you specified is rather directly in your view as you look at your photos in from front-dead-center. Not bad to my eyes, just so different initially that it may surprise some people. I hope it continues to be a jacket you enjoy. I guess I would would just not worry about what others are saying or not saying. Enjoy! :)
AeroFan,
Like you, I own a Bootlegger in Cordovan CXL horsehide. It is my favorite leather jacket, and the only one I own which has elicited multiple compliments from friends and strangers alike.
I think that Pdxgeo's new jacket is awesome and quite unique. I wouldn't worry about strange looks, I think that simply means that you have created something special and people are taking notice!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I believe I have read that Andy Warhol owned and regularly wore a Schott Perfecto at that time..... though it might have been in Schott's own marketing blurb. Not unlikely, though - given Andy's eye for design iconography, and living in NYC...
My guess is not. I'm no expert, but the change pocket on Warhol's jacket doesn't match the shape of vintage Schott jackets I've seen in photos, quite different in fact.
Is that quilt lining a two-tone?
I'm thinking stained + age?

Jonnyboy

New in Town
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any idea of who might have made this jacket? It looks like it's based on a Perfecto, but I don't think it's a Schott. The main zip is missing its puller, but the pocket zips are marked 'A'.

Regards,

Jon

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ That's a nice jacket. The belt buckle looks wrong for Schott, so too does the shape of the lapels, and the belt is mounted a bit too high for vintage Schott. The challenge is, if you go back to the 50s and 60s you'll find tons of perfecto-style jackets made by a wide variety of companies, most of which looked very similar, so unless one is a true vintage expert then it's hard to tell. Can you post a photo of the back? Oft times the backs showed more variation than the fronts (by the shape of back panels, how the belt is attached, the shape of the kidney pad, etc).

Jonnyboy

New in Town
Biker jackets aren't really something I know a great deal about, so just wondered if the 'A' zips might give a clue. I'm sure, as you say, there were probably tons of companies making Perfecto-ulike style jackets in the 50s/60s (and still are). It's not my jacket, but I'm wondering if it's worth picking up.

Here are a couple more photos.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
For what it's worth, from what I've seen -- and I'm not expert -- the way the belt is sewn into the seams is rather unique: note how it's sewn into the side seam facing towards the back, but then rolled back over itself to be threaded through the loops in the front of the jacket. Hopefully someone here will comment further!

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
As per Monitor's post and picture - supposed to be this fitted --

I agree, however I could stand more sleeve length than he appears to have.
Ah, we get so spoiled these days with made-to-order leathers. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko