Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Kelso Star A-2

Foster

One of the Regulars
Call me old fashioned, but if the jacket maker is not willing to read a few e-mails, then I will take my business to those who will give it the proper attention. I do not disagree with their reasoning, it is a sound principle, but it comes across as though they cannot be bothered with the basic necessities of guaranteeing customer satisfaction through elementary customer service methods.

What we do when buying these jackets is essentially what was done decades ago when suits were bought directly from the tailor who made them. There is an unavoidable element of communication and correspondence when having something custom made to a desired fit. The customer's money is at stake, and the maker's reputation and repeat business is also on the line. Trying on a jacket in front of the maker / tailor is more effective than a dozen e-mails, but physical limitations of distance and travel make it an unrealistic ideal for most people. I'm fortunate enough to have spent a few moments in person with two of the best A-2 makers in the market, and those minutes accomplished more than I can achieve in hours of research and in time spent obtaining measurements at the local business suit shop.

The fact that these individuals took time to meet with me and allow me to try on various jackets they produced left a positive impression, and I appreciate their customer focus. If they had said I could only try on one jacket, or if I had to decide which one I wanted to try and only that one (as in, only allowing a certain number of e-mails to be received), well the experience would have been quite different.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I imagine it's easier for companies which can have a dedicated admin person to answer email, so there isn't someone being taken off the machines to deal with communication. I'm sure any online business of this sort gets more than its share of tyre-kickers, though that may just be the nature of the beast.

Call me old fashioned, but if the jacket maker is not willing to read a few e-mails, then I will take my business to those who will give it the proper attention. I do not disagree with their reasoning, it is a sound principle, but it comes across as though they cannot be bothered with the basic necessities of guaranteeing customer satisfaction through elementary customer service methods.What we do when buying these jackets is essentially what was done decades ago when suits were bought directly from the tailor who made them. There is an unavoidable element of communication and correspondence when having something custom made to a desired fit. The customer's money is at stake, and the maker's reputation and repeat business is also on the line. Trying on a jacket in front of the maker / tailor is more effective than a dozen e-mails, but physical limitations of distance and travel make it an unrealistic ideal for most people. I'm fortunate enough to have spent a few moments in person with two of the best A-2 makers in the market, and those minutes accomplished more than I can achieve in hours of research and in time spent obtaining measurements at the local business suit shop. The fact that these individuals took time to meet with me and allow me to try on various jackets they produced left a positive impression, and I appreciate their customer focus. If they had said I could only try on one jacket, or if I had to decide which one I wanted to try and only that one (as in, only allowing a certain number of e-mails to be received), well the experience would have been quite different.
Well said. I might p*ss off a maker with emails, but at this point, none have posted disdain for it here or VLJ. I'm not inclined to order when I think someone is going to b*tch about me contacting them. I've got an odd build that is hard to fit properly, hence all the jackets I've flipped. If a maker can't take time - or hire someone to take the time - then I'll simply go elsewhere. There's more than one maker, so it's not like you're stuck with no choices.

andyfalzon

Vendor
There is a perfectly reasonable explanation of all this, but I will address this issue in our affiliate thread which will soon be started.

tonypaj

Practically Family
Can't help but think of the Seinfeld episode with the soup seller.

Yes, slightly off topic, I got banned from an internet forum for calling the mods "soup nazis". The ban was eternal, forever and ever.

As far as leather jackets go, I send just a few questions, maybe 5 max. It is a leather jacket, that's all, and my tastes and measurements change way too often to be too concerned.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
There is a perfectly reasonable explanation of all this, but I will address this issue in our affiliate thread which will soon be started.

Good luck keeping up with an affiliate thread if emails are killin ya- perhaps put Platon to dual duty ;)

I gotta think Carrie@Insurrection is on her thread 24-7!

Good luck keeping up with an affiliate thread if emails are killin ya- perhaps put Platon to dual duty ;)I gotta think Carrie@Insurrection is on her thread 24-7!
Yes, she seems to be. And I've not heard any griping here. Now they may well gripe off line, but that's ok. They seem to be providing great customer service here so read and learn. Otherwise, maybe hire a customer service rep. Your current staff need training.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It doesn't apply to me per se, but Carrie seems to have done a sterling job of the Insurrection affiliate thread, keeping it informative, balanced, good humoured and well-illustrated. It's handy for just seeing Aero's in different settings.

wdw

One Too Many
No doubt that Carrie's doing an excellent job on behalf of Aero and even Vanson, but the flipside is that the forum does have something of an Aero fanboy vibe at times.

That suits me fine as I'm a big fan, but I'd be interested to see the likes of BK also get their stuff up there, as their photos are conspicuous by their absence. Maybe they have a big presence on the VLJ site though, if that's their core market.

TFL and VLJ have high numbers of posts favoring brands that:
Provide great customer service.
Make a great product.
Keep a measured profile online.

There's no conspiracy here or there to back certain makers. I don't back anyone for $1000 ++ 'cause they're nice.
Put out your product.
Show it with pics.
Answer questions - even the stupid, repetitive ones.
Smile.
Repeat.

You'll be highly favored here too.

Mark

Practically Family
I am in the process of buying a BK jacket and so far Andy has been great with me. I find myself appologising every time i send an email in part cos i do not want to be one of them 50 email guys, that would drive me insane too. So far its been 4/5 emails the next should be the final order. I am awaiting a mock-up of my requested jacket that Andy is going to do for me on the computer (no real examples available for me to view). I imagine that takes a bit of time so its much appreciated by me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart